Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2453710 times)

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #3850 on: 11 November, 2010, 10:27:17 pm »
The default colour for hoods is generally black, which goes with most stuff, and doesn't show up grubbiness as easily.

I bought a pair of levers with white hoods from Torslanda, they needed a good clean and he suggested Swarfega or similar. Worked a treat but I've still not fitted them to anything yet.

« Reply #3851 on: 11 November, 2010, 11:40:24 pm »
I've ordered a set of red hoods, which are already in the post.  I'll hang onto the white ones, just in case I need the spares at some point.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #3852 on: 12 November, 2010, 08:15:28 am »
I've ordered a set of red hoods, which are already in the post.  I'll hang onto the white ones, just in case I need the spares at some point.

Can you change the hoods without having to take the levers and the tape off the bars?

« Reply #3853 on: 12 November, 2010, 08:33:14 am »

Can you change the hoods without having to take the levers and the tape off the bars?

Generally yes, you can roll them up the levers, and then manipulate them off.  It helps if you do something like soak them in hot water first, to make them more flexible, but that'll be difficult to do with the white ones!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3854 on: 12 November, 2010, 08:51:48 am »
KY Jelly will be your friend  ;D

« Reply #3855 on: 12 November, 2010, 09:14:05 am »
KY Jelly will be your friend  ;D

Yes, but enough of your private life, we were talking about my bike. ;D

(It had to be said!).

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3856 on: 12 November, 2010, 09:14:35 am »
KY Jelly will be your friend  ;D

I'm sure it often is ;D
Getting there...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3857 on: 12 November, 2010, 09:25:15 am »
You jest but I've often wondered if KY could be used to get Marathon Pluses back on (I know there is the Spa Cycles YouTube video showing it can be done without tyre levers etc)

Mind you there are a multitude of bedroom lubes out there so perhaps someone could research which is better for garage/fettling uses.  Shame I'm so busy at the moment  ;D

Majorbloodnok

• its no good, we'll have to drink our way out of it
« Reply #3858 on: 12 November, 2010, 10:39:02 am »
Member's lubes?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3859 on: 12 November, 2010, 10:42:41 am »
Member's lubes?

Member's member's lubes!  ;D

fuzzy

« Reply #3860 on: 12 November, 2010, 11:16:56 am »
You jest but I've often wondered if KY could be used to get Marathon Pluses back on (I know there is the Spa Cycles YouTube video showing it can be done without tyre levers etc)

Mind you there are a multitude of bedroom lubes out there so perhaps someone could research which is better for garage/fettling uses.  Shame I'm so busy at the moment  ;D

The work has already been done.

There are mebres of this here esatblishment that swear by the lubricating qualities of Boy Butter

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3861 on: 13 November, 2010, 02:17:56 pm »

Sounds like an excellent follow-up to barakta's does-swarfega-dissolve-condoms[1] research.

[1] It does.

« Reply #3862 on: 13 November, 2010, 05:03:18 pm »
Couple of pics of the Holdsworth now I've got the Ergos and correct bar tape on

Thats nice  :thumbsup:
Did you have to have it respaced at the back end and how many gears do you have?
Only asking as I have a nice old frame I am going to restore soon, but not sure to keep it original or run sti's etc.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3863 on: 13 November, 2010, 05:46:50 pm »
Why not respect the axle to get the minimal extra clearance required?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #3864 on: 13 November, 2010, 06:02:22 pm »

Sounds like an excellent follow-up to barakta's does-swarfega-dissolve-condoms[1] research.

[1] It does.

The introduction to "The Elements" on An Evening Wasted With Tom Lehrer springs to mind.  ;D

Quote from: The Harvard Bard
This may prove useful to some of you some day, perhaps, in a somewhat bizarre set of circumstances.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #3865 on: 13 November, 2010, 07:10:30 pm »

Not sure what you mean. The axle fits fine. The wheel just dropped in , so the spacing is fine, I think its just the angle of the seatstay is designed for a narrower block

I think LWAB meant respace, but in fact a cassette with a smaller minimum sprocket on the cog might do the trick - if it's a 12 try to get an 11, but my guess is it's a 14, in which case get a 12.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3866 on: 13 November, 2010, 07:11:26 pm »
Respace, not respect. Damn predictive text.

Just increase the driveside spacing to get chain clearance.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Nightfly

« Reply #3867 on: 14 November, 2010, 11:58:06 am »
Aahh I see now.  I'll have a look at that when I get time, I think I have a cassette with a 12 tooth outer cog somewhere.  I'm not sure on the spacing arrangement on the axle , will have to have a closer look and see what I can do with it.  thanks for the suggestions :thumbsup:

It would look better with some nice slender mudguards  ;).

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #3868 on: 14 November, 2010, 02:36:54 pm »

Not sure what you mean. The axle fits fine. The wheel just dropped in , so the spacing is fine, I think its just the angle of the seatstay is designed for a narrower block

I think LWAB meant respace, but in fact a cassette with a smaller minimum sprocket on the cog might do the trick - if it's a 12 try to get an 11, but my guess is it's a 14, in which case get a 12.

Ah... interesting. The chain has rubbed the paint off the inside of the stay on my Pinarello, but I have a 13-26 cassette. I'm planning to get it resprayed next summer, so I'll try a 12 on there. I don't often feel the need of 53x12 on a winter bike though!

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #3869 on: 14 November, 2010, 05:18:14 pm »
An' I believe that my one's faster than yours Mr bond, 'cos mine's a red one.

Dear all,

redshift has a shiny new bicycle.  Mr Hewitt said 'it's a bit of an odd one' but he built it anyway.  Purists should look away now.

May I present the Hewitt Cheviot SE with Kona Project 2 fork, SON dynohub, and Avid BB7 disks:

Today, I are mostly drooling.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3870 on: 14 November, 2010, 05:51:10 pm »
That is seriously tasty!

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #3871 on: 14 November, 2010, 05:55:21 pm »
You haven't seen it in the metal! Yer need yer sunnies - or a welder's mask . . .

VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #3872 on: 14 November, 2010, 07:16:09 pm »
Mr Hewitt said 'it's a bit of an odd one' but he built it anyway.  

I must be odd too cos that's exactly the sort of thing that I'd be interested in.  Or at least I would be if it was an off the shelf option rather than a presumably pricey custom build...
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #3873 on: 14 November, 2010, 08:03:29 pm »
redshift has a shiny new bicycle

That's an excellent set-up, dynamo + disc  :) Once those BB7s bed in you'll be very impressed with the stopping power. Looks like a really good tourer.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3874 on: 14 November, 2010, 08:26:18 pm »
The BB7 is an excellent brake, we have one on the back of the tandem.