Author Topic: LEL Brevet cards and refunds?  (Read 14001 times)

Re: LEL Brevet cards and refunds?
« Reply #25 on: 10 January, 2010, 02:35:54 am »
Reading  these Posts  as a total outsider, may I say that the Administration side of this event appears to need a complete overhaul ;)

Otherwise cyclists will just lose confidence in it.
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

« Reply #26 on: 10 January, 2010, 09:52:23 am »
Reading  these Posts  as a total outsider, may I say that the Administration side of this event appears to need a complete overhaul ;)

It's getting it as Danial pointed out. The 2009 edition was a great event for most of us.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #27 on: 10 January, 2010, 10:35:17 am »

It's getting it as Danial pointed out. The 2009 edition was a great event for most of us.

Absolutely.

My understanding is that it has been recognised that the organisation requires a different approach in 2013 but that should in no way detract from what was a very enjoyable few days on a great event.

H

« Reply #28 on: 10 January, 2010, 01:57:52 pm »
I know all the riders enjoyed it but the Administration is failing the participants rather badly.

The new approach should be settled quickly, efficiently and acted upon now. The fact that someone's Computer is being repaired is no excuse.

In my racing days, Computers had not been invented and yet we never experienced abnormal delays like this in receiving our results by Royal Mail ;)

plug

« Reply #29 on: 10 January, 2010, 02:57:21 pm »
Nobody is waiting for any results.  Everybody who rode knows their own result and the finishers list is available on the AUK website.
FWIW, I thought the event was a great success

« Reply #30 on: 10 January, 2010, 03:29:52 pm »
For everyone who did the ride (myself included) the administrative/organisational difficulties were soon forgotten; quickly overwritten by the great memories of the ride itself, the fellow riders, the excellent controls and controllers/helpers, random members of the public, the scenery, etc.

Standing in a queue for 4 hours waiting to collect the brevet card, bottles and other stuff (for example) is easy compared to riding 1400km.

It's a shame that the people who entered but couldn't ride are having a problem getting agreed refunds, they should have been sorted out as soon as possible after they informed Mel that they couldn't ride. I don't mind my Brevet card being delayed by a month or two so that others can get their refunds, it'll get to me eventually.

The majority of the remaining complaints are from people who didn't ride (and who had no intention of riding) but are annoyed on others' behalf. There's no need to be annoyed on my behalf.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #31 on: 10 January, 2010, 03:36:38 pm »
but the brevet card is the history of my ride,ok i have hundreds but for some this was there first long ride and many spent along time training for it. finally it reflects very badly on AUDAX its self,which is not good at all the auk committee should be dealing with this as a matter of urgency!!

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #32 on: 10 January, 2010, 04:12:03 pm »
There is the problem - technically AUk have no control over the organiser for 2009,( theoretically  they neither have the return envelopes or completed brevet cards in their possession) and why they intend to change the system for 2013. Nor can they force Mel to attend to the matter of refunds.

The current position may reflect badly on AUK ( personally I think it does ) that nearly 6 months after the event the final admin details - refunds, brevet cards etc have not been sorted - but Auk is in a  tricky position -- how to make things happen when assistance has been declined -and history suggests that attention to both detail and  legitimate queries has been minimal.

The event was a great success - but this was entirely due to all of the volunteers who refused to allow the event to fail.

I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #33 on: 10 January, 2010, 04:20:18 pm »

The event was a great success - but this was entirely due to all of the volunteers who refused to allow the event to fail.

That isn't true. LEL 2009 Ltd did have some input and the couple of hundred successful riders played their part. It wasn't entirely due to all of the volunteers.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #34 on: 10 January, 2010, 04:23:03 pm »
+1 Fidgetbuzz.

« Reply #35 on: 10 January, 2010, 04:42:52 pm »
postie sums up the situation nicely. The Organizers whoever they are should act to correct the situation.

I just hope that all the riders can and will be happy, not only with the event, but also with an improved Administration 8) 

Hummers

« Reply #36 on: 11 January, 2010, 11:37:53 am »
Whilst all these opinions, suppositions and observations are all part of posting something like this on an Internet forum, it occurs to me that all discussion would be knocked on the head if someone who can really answer:

1. When the Brevet cards are likely to be sent out
2. When Pompey Phil is likely to get his refund.

..... posted it on here or found some other means of communicating it to those affected.

I am particularly interested in point 1 as this affects me directly.

Apologies if either of these points have been covered off elsewhere.

H

P.S.

If the delay in the Brevet cards being sent out is one of resourcing then I am happy to take this on if AUK can send me the cards, mailing list and are able to cover the cost of the postage.

« Reply #37 on: 11 January, 2010, 11:49:08 am »
According to Fidgetbuzz above, AUK do not have the cards.

« Reply #38 on: 11 January, 2010, 12:19:13 pm »
So who has got them?

Why all this mystery?

The Admin Members I believe are on this Forum.

Why cannot somebody responsible provide an answer? ::-)

« Reply #39 on: 11 January, 2010, 01:35:47 pm »
So who has got them?

As I understand it, the LEL organiser has them. This is not Audax UK but one single person who just happens to be a member of Audax UK.

As someone has written above, her computer is broken at the moment, which may be hindering her attempts at getting through the remaining admin tasks.

Why all this mystery?

Because the LEL organiser isn't responding to any queries, including queries about why she's not responding to anything.

The Admin Members I believe are on this Forum.

Some admin members of Audax UK are on this forum, but LEL is not organised by Audax UK, only on behalf of Audax UK.

Audax UK could probably officially ask Mel what's going on, but I don't think they're overly concerned with the time it's taking, and they too may not get a response.

Why cannot somebody responsible provide an answer? ::-)

See above: because the one person who can isn't responding to questions.

Hummers

« Reply #40 on: 11 January, 2010, 01:49:05 pm »
Greenbank. You seem to have a handle on this. Are you in direct contact with Mel or party to decisions made within AUK?

If so please forward my offer of help.

H

« Reply #41 on: 11 January, 2010, 02:01:16 pm »
Greenbank. You seem to have a handle on this. Are you in direct contact with Mel or party to decisions made within AUK?

Nope, I'm just summarising what I've read here. I haven't spoken to her since LEL itself.

Hummers

« Reply #42 on: 11 January, 2010, 02:14:33 pm »
Oh, I see.

Well, perhaps if someone who does have direct contact with Mel or the AUK powers can forward my offer it would be appreciated.

H

« Reply #43 on: 11 January, 2010, 02:20:35 pm »
maybe you can search the web for the LEL website and see if there is a phone number on. If so give the organiser a call. Aimed at PompeyPhil in particular.

« Reply #44 on: 11 January, 2010, 02:23:32 pm »
What a frustrating situation ::-)

Hummers

« Reply #45 on: 11 January, 2010, 02:29:30 pm »
Thanks Martin & Bard but I think Phil might already have this.

H

« Reply #46 on: 11 January, 2010, 02:38:27 pm »
Oh yes, forgot to post this:-

Yahoo! Groups              

Dec 27th post from Ivo:-

"
There are a lot of people involved in processing&returning the cards,
the validation stickers for example arrived only recently at
Keith&Sue's place due to the relevant LRM officer being ill.
"

simonp

« Reply #47 on: 11 January, 2010, 04:04:28 pm »
I would like to have my brevet card back at some point.  But I can wait.

One thing I won't do is pester Mel about it, because:

- it will waste her time

- it's not as if it's just my card that's gone missing.  Nothing useful will be gained by chasing my card.

- it's only a piece of paper.  Auk's records show I completed the ride.

Hummers

« Reply #48 on: 11 January, 2010, 06:06:42 pm »
Oh yes, forgot to post this:-

Yahoo! Groups              

Dec 27th post from Ivo:-

"
There are a lot of people involved in processing&returning the cards,
the validation stickers for example arrived only recently at
Keith&Sue's place due to the relevant LRM officer being ill.
"

:thumbsup:

Cheers.

Will keep a lookout there for an update.

H

P.S.
Contacted Mel to see if she needed any help with getting her PC sorted but she has this in hand.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #49 on: 11 January, 2010, 08:29:57 pm »
Ivo's posting is not "accurate" datewise - it "suggests" that brevet cards validated by the French only reached S & K in mid late Dec. Not correct they were here in Norwich about a week prior to the AGM in late Nov.

Mel however declined the offer that a Norwich team would get them out pdq if she would hand over the entrants return envelopes - this may have had something to do with the upcoming AGM - and possible sensitivity to the Treasurers report which included the reference to writing off £5000 - I purely speculate.

So no delay due to our validation secretaries I can assure you.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!