Author Topic: Glasgow Commonwealth Games 2014  (Read 12723 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Glasgow Commonwealth Games 2014
« Reply #125 on: 06 August, 2014, 04:55:09 pm »
Quote from: nb10
I am the girl from Deacon Blue
Doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo
Doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo

They should have had Nazareth.  I'd have watched that...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #126 on: 06 August, 2014, 05:08:18 pm »
Deacon Blue were singling at the closing ceremony?

Who booked Deacon Blue?  How far down the list of potential closing acts were they?  (I assume many other artists said no before they started getting desperate).
I can only assume one of their Mums was in charge of bookings for the gig.

"Dignity" (for I am sure that was what they sang) is hardly a floor-shaker is it?  Why not "Into the Valley" by the Skids? or "500 Miles" by the Proclaimers?

Deacon Blue?  Really?
Their drummer was doing quite a lot of the sports presenting during the Games, so maybe that's why. Also, lots of people like them.

I fixed his bike on an audax once...
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #127 on: 08 August, 2014, 12:56:35 pm »
My French holiday managed to coincide perfectly with the Commonwealth Games so I missed every minute of it.  I can't say I am bothered at all.

It strikes me as a very out-dated sporting concept to be the "Best in the Commonwealth" at something, random almost.

It's like having a huge sporting event for just those countries who drive on the left, or countries whose names start with letters in just the first half of the alphabet.

"The Commonwealth", speaking as a 52 year-old English person, never enters my consciousness apart from every 4 years, when it's something I miss on TV whilst on holiday.

I suggest it is confined to JUST those sports that are linked to Empire.  Bowls, Netball, Cricket, Rounders, Snooker, Darts, Real Tennis, British Bulldog, Marbles, Lion Hunting, Tig and Hide & Seek.

Then, and only then, could the winner justifiably call themselves best in the world.

Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #128 on: 08 August, 2014, 01:04:48 pm »
I suggest it is confined to JUST those sports that are linked to Empire.  Bowls, Netball, Cricket, Rounders, Snooker, Darts, Real Tennis, British Bulldog, Marbles, Lion Hunting, Tig and Hide & Seek.

:-)

You missed out kabadi (sp ?)

Meantime, Clydes gone awol