Author Topic: A Best Before / Use By thread...  (Read 19852 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: A Best Before / Use By thread...
« Reply #100 on: 23 November, 2022, 09:04:43 pm »
David used some onion powder in the Bolognese on Sunday.
Best Before ** 1997.

We ain't DEDD yet...

« Reply #101 on: 11 January, 2023, 08:37:37 pm »
Found an unopened tub of Low Fat (1.4%) natural yoghurt Use by 20 Dec. (~22 days over date) in back of fridge.   Lid not under pressure, no bubbles, smelt good, tasted fine - with blueberries/muesli/maple syrup.   :thumbsup:
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #102 on: 11 January, 2023, 08:47:44 pm »
A bit late to mention this but my xmas pud was 2016 vintage. Tasted good.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #103 on: 12 January, 2023, 10:31:37 pm »
Milk datestamped 15 January and kept in fridge immediately after its 1am Monday arrival tasted distinctly stale earlier today.
Not impressed!

D decided he wanted marmalade the other night. He doesn't usually eat marmalade.
Told him there was some Rose's at the back of a cupboard.
BBE **2015. It's gone a bit brown but was otherwise fine…

D's developed a penchant for Golden Syrup over the Festive Season. Seems some of our tins are 10 years old!

« Reply #104 on: 10 May, 2023, 04:08:14 pm »
Truffling around in the back of the camping cupboard I found a half dozen freeze dried meals, mostly with use by dates of 2015, so bog knows when I bought them.

In the interests of science I've just eaten one*.  It seemed perfectly OK, but if i stop posting you'll know what happened.

https://basecampfood.com/products/real-turmat-reindeer-stew   Bloody hell.  I must have been feeling flush!
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #105 on: 10 May, 2023, 05:58:25 pm »
We’ve got a couple of tins of soup that predate the pandemic.

Probably safe, but a tin of something else that old was noticeably stale.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #106 on: 11 May, 2023, 07:54:08 am »
I recently tarted up a tomato sauce with some sundried ones from a plastic tub found at the beack of the 'fridge (still sealed at the time of opening) with a BBE Jun 2022. They were fine.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #107 on: 14 May, 2023, 06:44:50 pm »
I found 2 jars of Huntley Herbs Hot Lemon Relish in the back of the cupboard. We used to get through quite a lot of it but not so much when we stopped having meat & cheese based sarnies. End date of 2018. Suppose I should toss it.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #108 on: 14 May, 2023, 07:32:38 pm »
It might be even better, years of extra maturing...  ;)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #109 on: 15 May, 2023, 10:37:18 am »
I found 2 jars of Huntley Herbs Hot Lemon Relish in the back of the cupboard. We used to get through quite a lot of it but not so much when we stopped having meat & cheese based sarnies. End date of 2018. Suppose I should toss it.
I'd just eat it.

« Reply #110 on: 16 May, 2023, 08:06:26 pm »
Wowbagger's post about finding a pack of couscous eight years past its best-by date reminded me about the jar of asafoetida I finished in a veggie curry the other night.

Best before the end of December 2002. ;D

Yes, I know, some people say you should replace your ground spices on a yearly basis, but I go with a smell test - if the aroma hasn't faded, why chuck it out? Put it like this, asafoetida used to be sold double-packed in miniature plastic tubs with screw-on lids inside the jar, because it's pretty pungent stuff (IIRC it's used as a garlic substitute in some Indian recipes) and it was still minging quite strongly years after its nominal best-by date.

Looks like the oldest thing in the kitchen cupboards is the tin of Colman's mustard powder, which was best before the end of March 2004. Not sure about the jar of Szechuan peppercorns, but they might be of a similar vintage...
I found some Silver Jubilee Colman’s mustard powder in my inlaws’ larder…

ian

« Reply #111 on: 16 May, 2023, 08:51:58 pm »
Asafoetida is like nuclear waste, it doesn't go off quickly.

I find most of the spices in the little pots from the supermarket start out pretty bland so aren't worth keeping around; it's better to get the stuff from an Asian supermarket, the downside of which is that you end up with half a kilo of cloves and I don't plan to be cooking curries for the next five hundred years.

« Reply #112 on: 21 May, 2023, 09:09:05 pm »
I had some apple juice (from concentrate) which were a few years past the date, it tasted off and unpleasant.

« Reply #113 on: 30 May, 2023, 08:46:06 pm »
Not food but don't try hay fever/allergy tabs which have and exp. 2003. They will not relieve your symptoms and will make you feel worse for the next few hours. Ooops.

ian

« Reply #114 on: 30 May, 2023, 08:55:29 pm »
I had some apple juice (from concentrate) which were a few years past the date, it tasted off and unpleasant.

Top quality Jail Juice, though. It'll make you popular, in the right way, if you ever have to do a stretch.

« Reply #115 on: 27 June, 2023, 02:09:57 pm »
I'm working my way through a kilo of dried figs, with a use by date of June 2020 on the packet.  Perfectly tasty & no side effects other than the expected ones....

https://www.costco.co.uk/Grocery-Household/Grocery-Delivery/Sunny-Fruit-Organic-Sun-Dried-Figs-113kg/p/1298243

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #116 on: 27 June, 2023, 02:54:36 pm »
Apparently sciatica laughs at Cocodamol dated 2020.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #117 on: 15 July, 2023, 12:20:15 am »
Foraging in the back of the freezer I’ve just found a sealed pack of osso Buco with a “use by” date of June 2020…….   Should I …… ?

« Reply #118 on: 15 July, 2023, 09:50:55 am »
Well into the new century :demon:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #119 on: 20 July, 2023, 11:59:25 am »
David wanted something to flavour the plain kefir he'd bought, after listening to some trendy Late Book on Radio 4.

He found a hitherto unopened bottle of Crusha milk shake syrup, with a 2008 Best Before date.

Seems fine...

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #120 on: 20 July, 2023, 12:54:08 pm »
I have just taken a couple of Boots Paracetamol and codeine tablets.
Use by date on the box is April 2015.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #121 on: 20 July, 2023, 01:43:17 pm »
David wanted something to flavour the plain kefir he'd bought, after listening to some trendy Late Book on Radio 4.

He found a hitherto unopened bottle of Crusha milk shake syrup, with a 2008 Best Before date.

Seems fine...
I'm sure it's absolutely fine. But I'm equally sure that Crusha-flavoured kefir is not fine at all.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #122 on: 20 July, 2023, 09:00:35 pm »
Seems fine...
I'm sure it's absolutely fine. But I'm equally sure that Crusha-flavoured kefir is not fine at all.

LURID PINK sweet synthetic raspberry yogurt - acceptable in the circumstances...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #123 on: 21 July, 2023, 11:36:32 am »
But sweet kefir? No thanks!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #124 on: 21 July, 2023, 07:35:22 pm »
Someone further up the street has put some boxes of Ryvita on the wall. BB 07-12-2022; way too recent to be of concern. The boxes are unopened and inside, the Ryvitas are in little sealed plastic packets. And as far as I know, there are no Russian dissidents in the neighbourhood... I have eaten four slices (one packet).