Author Topic: orbital sander (prefer cordless) recommendations  (Read 1190 times)

orbital sander (prefer cordless) recommendations
« on: 29 May, 2020, 10:30:00 am »
I could do with an orbital sander for refinishing kayak.

Running extension lead to open area is difficult.

Had a look at what is avail; fatmax and erbaurer seem ok. Both sold sans batteries. When you add in the batteries, the sander costs about £90. Not cheap.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Re: orbital sander (prefer cordless) recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 29 May, 2020, 02:09:49 pm »
Is there an option to rent such a tool?
Or is there a suitably local facility for tool sharing like Streetbank?
Is it feasible to use a variable speed cordless drill with suitable attachment (probably not?)

« Reply #2 on: 29 May, 2020, 02:39:32 pm »
Is there an option to rent such a tool?
Or is there a suitably local facility for tool sharing like Streetbank?
Is it feasible to use a variable speed cordless drill with suitable attachment (probably not?)

I've used a tool on a drill. I would  *not* use this for delicate work.

Mrs C has reminded me that it might be possible to borrow something from my landlord.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3 on: 29 May, 2020, 03:42:59 pm »
I have a wee Black & Decker single-hand random orbital sander that I love.  I do have a bigger two-hander and various other non-random orbitals, but the wee one is the handiest of the lot.  You can sand stuff in awkward positions that the bigger ones can't get at, and its dust filter/bag seems to do do a great job. Runs off mains, which isn't what you want but that does make it lighter.

Never thought I'd recommend a modern B&D but there you go.

Looks a bit like this but the switch is built into the top and works when you grip it. There's a slider to block it.

ETA: cost around 45€
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #4 on: 29 May, 2020, 03:44:51 pm »

« Reply #5 on: 29 May, 2020, 05:41:34 pm »
IMHO a corded sander will be at least  half the cost and about twice as useful.

A 125mm dia  RO sander is about the right size for a kayak  (?) and needs about 400W to make it go.  You don't need to be maths genius to work out that this will flatten a typical  battery in about 15 minutes.  30 minutes if you assume (for no good reason) that they have miraculously managed to make the cordless tool twice as efficient somehow.

Just my two pence worth

cheers

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 29 May, 2020, 10:59:45 pm »
That's fine when you have two (or more) batteries, access to power and a charger that will do its thing in about 20 minutes.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7 on: 30 May, 2020, 09:02:49 am »
IMHO a corded sander will be at least  half the cost and about twice as useful.

A 125mm dia  RO sander is about the right size for a kayak  (?) and needs about 400W to make it go.  You don't need to be maths genius to work out that this will flatten a typical  battery in about 15 minutes.  30 minutes if you assume (for no good reason) that they have miraculously managed to make the cordless tool twice as efficient somehow.

Just my two pence worth

cheers

The other bit of the cordless deal is that very often the offers are unbundled, so that you think you've found a good price then have to buy batteries and chargers separately.  MrsT bought me a battery circular saw for Christmas.  It came in a big plastic suitcase that was mostly air but had handy slots for the charger & two batteries that weren't there.

I had a close look at one of the RO sanders on the B&D site.  It vaunted the merits of rechargeability but  very carefully avoided saying that the charger wasn't included.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #8 on: 01 June, 2020, 11:07:42 pm »
Not cheap but the Makita stuff is brilliant.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium