Author Topic: Photos for website - what size?  (Read 660 times)

Photos for website - what size?
« on: 03 July, 2011, 07:53:00 pm »
I want to start building up a library of photos just in case I ever need to start a website to sell from.

I know this about photography .....                                                      nothing!  :-[

What size should I start snapping?  Basically, I just need thumbnail size or slightly larger if it's clickable.  Will 640 x 480 be sufficient or doesn't it matter?

Thanks.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Re: Photos for website - what size?
« Reply #1 on: 03 July, 2011, 08:43:35 pm »
Definitely shoot in the highest resolution that you can manage.  You can always downsize an image, but never upsize without horrible loss of quality.

You might want to crop, or you might want larger images in the future when new technolgies come along, or you might want to print a picture even if you don't realise it at the time of shooting.  It can be better for some post-processing as well.  Keep your options open.

Maybe you won't think all that is important, but cropping in particular is often immensely useful, epecially when you're not one of the best photographers with the best equipment.  So shoot high resolution even if you don't care about all the other points.

To make a smaller copy of a picture, you can use a simple free program like Irfanview, if not getting more comprehensive image editing software.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Re: Photos for website - what size?
« Reply #2 on: 03 July, 2011, 09:39:35 pm »
Thanks Biggsy  :thumbsup:

I might never need them, but I want to keep my options open.  There are already enough websites with "Awaiting Image".  ::-)