Author Topic: IPL  (Read 1258 times)

Si

IPL
« on: 26 May, 2014, 07:49:05 pm »
I'm guessing that this is going to be a lonely post  ;D as the IPL with all of it's hype, stupid money and dodgy betting isn't that popular with most....but I have to say that I'm addicted, and the last two matches that I've seen have been amazing.  First we have Pathan getting a half century in 17 balls, and then we have MI scoring 190 in 14.3 overs, not to mention the twist in the tail from the mathematics on the final ball!
I've always been a staunch traditionalist advocate of the five day test, but I'm rapidly changing my mind.  It's weird because other sports that have gone overboard with the hype (such as footie, American Football, and dare I say it, some forms of pro cycling) have immediately turned me off.  But I find that with the IPL there is a certain innocence among the Indian crowd who really do get into the spirit of it, unlike us cynical westerners.
Obviously it won't last long but, to me at least, it's glorious while it does.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: IPL
« Reply #1 on: 26 May, 2014, 07:55:14 pm »
Sorry, the boy and I are still sniggering over the name Kolkata Knight Riders.

Night Riders - OK
But Knight Riders?   ;D
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2 on: 26 May, 2014, 08:02:53 pm »
The boy Pietersen done good.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #3 on: 26 May, 2014, 08:33:18 pm »
I've watched quite a bit of it and I like it, though I, too prefer the long game.  One thing that intrigued me in a very recent match was that the cartonishly apoplectic Dale Steyn was chucking it down (I think his wrist action is suspect) at getting on for 100mph and in one over someone took him for 21 or so.  It would be interesting to see if anyone has the nerve to try this in a test, when he won't be bowling any faster.  Are the boundaries a bit shorter, maybe?  More people caught if they were regulation - but perhaps they are, I don't know.  I suppose we'd have to have male dancers, too!

Peter

Si

« Reply #4 on: 27 May, 2014, 05:24:08 pm »
Boundaries seem to be 70m + from the wicket if the What Bank Maximum Six measurer is to be believed.  They certainly seem to be close up to the front seats.

Have to say that it's also worth watching just for Dale Steyn's haircut and bulging eyes!

Si

« Reply #5 on: 29 May, 2014, 05:04:21 pm »
Actually, having paid attention yesterday, yes it did look like a few boundaries are moved in a bit - otherwise there would be room for the cheer leaders and the DJ (a phrase that you thought you'd never her used about cricket!!!!).

« Reply #6 on: 29 May, 2014, 09:45:17 pm »
Sorry, the boy and I are still sniggering over the name Kolkata Knight Riders.

Night Riders - OK
But Knight Riders?   ;D

I think it's a nod to the execrable David Hasselhoff series.

« Reply #7 on: 30 May, 2014, 11:02:08 am »
I'm just beginning to feel I shouldn't be watching this at all and that we should stop India touring here this summer after the latest appalling case where two teenage girls were raped and hanged.  Same with Pakistan and stoning.