Author Topic: Oik-ball World Cup - Goldman Sachs predictions  (Read 1553 times)

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
Oik-ball World Cup - Goldman Sachs predictions
« on: 28 May, 2014, 02:20:14 pm »
I'm not really a follower of footy but I do read the financial pages. Which is where I find that GS have made their forecasts. Basically, England are stuffed and won't even make it out of the Group matches. The analysis (P(.48)) is pointing towards a Brazil victory overall. Which is somewhat at odds with the market (in magnitude) which seems be offering 3/1 from a cursory glance at oddschecker.

http://www.goldmansachs.com/our-thinking/outlook/world-cup-and-economics-2014.html

I'm no longer a gambling man. But I'd be interested in the opinions of those who do. Or, indeed, those who understand football.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
Re: Oik-ball World Cup - Goldman Sachs predictions
« Reply #1 on: 29 May, 2014, 05:02:59 pm »
History shows it's hard to see beyond a South American team winning it in South America so that narrows it down a bit.
It's in Brazil which adds some weight to them winning (and they are bloody good of course).

Argentina have the being South American and being Bloody Good factors in their favour.

Germany have the being Bloody Good factor as do Spain and Portugal (and being Spanish/Portugese is very much like being South American of course).

It's going to be very hot which favours a slow paced, passing team, that's Brazil, Argentina, Spain & portugal

I'd assume a Brazil vs (Argentina/Spain) final.  Germany may find it too hot to play their brilliant barn-storming football.

I think England could surprise a few teams, they think we are crap (there's many decades of evidence to support that) but it's quite a youthful squad with some genuine talent.  Not enough to win it but enough to shock complacent teams and get to quarter finals.

If it were a European tournament then Belgium could provide a real shock.

I'm just excited that Messi, Neymar and Ronaldo are on display.  2 of those players have genuine claims on the "Greatest of all time" title.

I'll go for Argentina.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #2 on: 29 May, 2014, 05:15:59 pm »
I'll stick my neck out (not very far).

Brazil vs Argentina final. Brazil to win

Germany and Belgium in the 3rd/4th place play off (if there is one).
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #3 on: 02 June, 2014, 10:03:10 am »
Where's Paul the octopus when you need him?
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #4 on: 05 June, 2014, 11:40:51 am »
Where's Paul the octopus when you need him?

Dead years ago.

Never mind Sammy the psychic squid will fill the breach.

http://southporttimes.co.uk/?p=460
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams