Author Topic: Interesting or unusual planes?  (Read 389567 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Interesting or unusual planes?
« Reply #2150 on: 21 August, 2023, 10:33:41 pm »
It is mandatory for them to do x practices per month of different types of rescue.

The loch across from us is one of their fav exercise areas, so we see them a lot.

Must be one of the busiest coastguards in the country. They are constantly on the go, mostly ferrying sick people to hospital.

Just last week they picked up a sick passenger from a cruise liner, so the need is real.

Yes. Saw them again today, flying out to you. Hadn't seen them fly in, usually we see both direction flights.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #2151 on: 22 August, 2023, 09:43:56 am »
Yesterday I saw, in no particular order:

Avro Lancaster
Spitfire x 2
Hurricane
A quiver of Red Arrows
Typhoon
BAC Strikemaster x 2
Vampire
A Very Modified Jet Pitts
Slingsby Firefly
Hawker Fury
An unkindeness of RaVens.
A perfectly serviceable Cessna out of which eight people did jump while it was A Several Thousand of Feet Up in the Air.

Eastbourne Airshow, innit. I will see if any pictures I took are in focus.
I watched much of that on the live stream / with an eye on Adsb-exchange.
I attended a few years ago.
At 4 days duration it surely is one of the larger airshows in the country.
ETA - Albeit RIAT probably has more interesting kit - different audience thobut - innit.

« Reply #2152 on: 25 August, 2023, 10:49:30 am »
Not photo’s as enjoying the sight

A supermarine walrus

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2153 on: 25 August, 2023, 11:18:13 am »
<envy>

First Airfix plane I ever built. Fiddly bastard.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2154 on: 29 August, 2023, 10:58:46 pm »

Lockheed T-33A by Mr Larrington, on Flickr.  Just in case the Commies try to capture the bridges at Toko-Ri Chamberlain SD.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #2155 on: 15 September, 2023, 01:43:24 pm »
Very loud and low whooshing. By the time I got to a window, no sign.

ADS-B Exchange shows an A400, flying at 575ft altitude

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2156 on: 17 September, 2023, 08:37:01 pm »
English Electric Lightning and a Shackleton yesterday,both doing engine runs at Gatwick Aviation Museum.  I spent a small amount of time wondering how good the brakes were on the Lightning, as we were stood in front of it.

Shout out to the man on the door. I explained that my Young Lady is the carer for one of her Many Many Children (aged 22, autism, learning difficulties, aeroplane nut) and were there any discounts. Tappity tap. "Yes" he said "I've just made one up."
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #2157 on: 18 September, 2023, 08:11:14 pm »
English Electric Lightning and a Shackleton yesterday,both doing engine runs at Gatwick Aviation Museum.  I spent a small amount of time wondering how good the brakes were on the Lightning, as we were stood in front of it.

Shout out to the man on the door. I explained that my Young Lady is the carer for one of her Many Many Children (aged 22, autism, learning difficulties, aeroplane nut) and were there any discounts. Tappity tap. "Yes" he said "I've just made one up."
That sounds like a result.
Envious of the Lightning thing.

« Reply #2158 on: 18 September, 2023, 08:13:30 pm »
Nothing too interesting or unusual other than some members of this forum might have seen the one and the other was two days earlier, doing a similar job. Clue, I live in France; Q what were they doing and where?
dated 20/08
dated 18/08

is a slightly more obvious picture although not as sharp. I find spotting these things in the viewfinder or screen very difficult!

I haven't a clue as to what make and model each was, not my speciality!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2159 on: 19 September, 2023, 08:42:11 am »

Untold years ago I visited the Le Bourget salon, and some twin-engine military beastie did an engine run just outside the main hall.  Son & I were ~10 metres behind it.  Bloody hell.  Nice and warm, though.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #2160 on: 19 September, 2023, 09:12:49 am »
The rotary wing jobs look like they're rigged for film or (agricultural) survey work.  I have seen large drones being used hereabouts for that sort of thing.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #2161 on: 27 September, 2023, 12:56:10 pm »
4 Apaches. Flying south and very low.

« Reply #2162 on: 05 October, 2023, 06:43:12 pm »
The rotary wing jobs look like they're rigged for film or (agricultural) survey work.  I have seen large drones being used hereabouts for that sort of thing.

Of my two, the helico was on duty over the Tour de Limousin.
The drone was over the start line at PBP, although I haven't a clue who it would be filming for. Perhaps France 3 IdF. Perhaps the ACP.

meddyg

• 'You'll have had your tea?'
« Reply #2163 on: 10 October, 2023, 09:57:41 am »
The Dublin - Cardiff evening flight regularly comes in low over our Cardiff home and stops me dozing, as it did last night.
Flightradar showed it circling a very regular oval loop which it repeated half a dozen times.

Overflew our house again in Roath on its way to Bristol via Newport .

FOG ! and still there this morning apparently

meddyg

« Reply #2164 on: 10 October, 2023, 10:02:53 am »
Earlier, the Tui Tenerife - Cardiff flight did similar...

and then headed off up the M50 / M5 to Birmingham

I don't think the passengers, expecting an 11pm arrival in Cardiff would be pleased with a bus ride home from Birmingham !

meddyg

« Reply #2165 on: 10 October, 2023, 10:32:43 am »
The Dublin - Cardiff evening flight regularly comes in low over our Cardiff home and stops me dozing, as it did last night.
Flightradar showed it circling a very regular oval loop which it repeated half a dozen times.

A perfect oval and then circle - how do they do that;
machines I s'pose

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #2166 on: 11 October, 2023, 12:47:42 pm »

Overflew our house again in Roath on its way to Bristol via Newport .

FOG ! and still there this morning apparently

The hold pattern for all approaches at Cardiff is detailed on this approach chart.

If this aircraft woke you when it was flying at 10,000ft, you must be a very light sleeper.

A perfect oval and then circle - how do they do that;
machines I s'pose

Very easily.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2167 on: 11 October, 2023, 01:35:43 pm »
This flew over the igloo this morning:

« Reply #2168 on: 11 October, 2023, 03:07:59 pm »
About a week ago, a jet flew into Stornoway airport. Logannair jet.

Since Logannair operate out of stornoway, that wouldn't be unusual, except that all the planes using Stornoway are turboprops.

Very odd.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2169 on: 11 October, 2023, 03:16:51 pm »
Wikinaccurate claims they have a bunch of Embraer ERJ-145s, some of which were originally intended for the Glasgow–Stornoway route.  I suspect the Plague may have put their introduction on hold.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

TimC

« Reply #2170 on: 12 October, 2023, 01:03:50 am »

Since Logannair operate out of stornoway, that wouldn't be unusual, except that all the planes using Stornoway are turboprops.

Very odd.

Stornoway is perfectly capable of taking smallish jets. Loganair have 13 ERJ-145 jets, and had a number of ERJ-135s till last year. I used to regularly take C-130s into Stornoway, where the ATCO (Stuart) used to serve a very good cup of tea.

« Reply #2171 on: 12 October, 2023, 08:39:06 am »
Wikinaccurate claims they have a bunch of Embraer ERJ-145s, some of which were originally intended for the Glasgow–Stornoway route.  I suspect the Plague may have put their introduction on hold.

It was certainly one of those.

Jets don't seem suitable for this route, to my understanding, turboprops are more efficient at the low altitude + take off landing phase.
The routes out of Stornoway basically take off, climb to altitude, cruise for 10 min, then start descending.

They could have been tailor-made for electric flights.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #2172 on: 12 October, 2023, 09:09:13 am »

Very odd.

Stornoway is perfectly capable of taking smallish jets. Loganair have 13 ERJ-145 jets, and had a number of ERJ-135s till last year. I used to regularly take C-130s into Stornoway, where the ATCO (Stuart) used to serve a very good cup of tea.

If you had to go all the way to Stornaway to get a decent cup of tea maybe you should have sacked the loadmaster? ;D

TimC

« Reply #2173 on: 12 October, 2023, 10:05:25 am »

It was certainly one of those.

Jets don't seem suitable for this route, to my understanding, turboprops are more efficient at the low altitude + take off landing phase.
The routes out of Stornoway basically take off, climb to altitude, cruise for 10 min, then start descending.

They could have been tailor-made for electric flights.

No doubt you can point us to the 45-seater electric aircraft that Loganair could have bought instead of the ERJ145.

TimC

« Reply #2174 on: 12 October, 2023, 10:08:27 am »

Very odd.

If you had to go all the way to Stornaway to get a decent cup of tea maybe you should have sacked the loadmaster? ;D
Well, we had to go there anyway to let the Rock Apes throw Rapiers randomly around the Irish Sea. And, as I’m sure you’re aware, Her Majesty’s military tea was not of the highest quality, no matter who prepared it!