Author Topic: Interesting or unusual planes?  (Read 391933 times)

Re: Interesting or unusual planes?
« Reply #400 on: 02 May, 2013, 10:41:23 pm »
This is rumour control, here are the facts...

We were originally going to get the STOVL-capable B-model, the coalition government changed to the US Navy's C-model when the DoD put the B-model on probation due to various issues arising in the development program, and then rapidly changed back to the B-model when it was pointed out that to convert the QE2-class carriers from STOVL to CATOBAR ops would cost an absolute packet.

Situation normal...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joint_Combat_Aircraft#2010_Strategic_Defence_and_Security_Review
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #401 on: 03 May, 2013, 10:16:37 am »
This is rumour control, here are the facts...

We were originally going to get the STOVL-capable B-model, the coalition government changed to the US Navy's C-model when the DoD put the B-model on probation due to various issues arising in the development program, and then rapidly changed back to the B-model when it was pointed out that to convert the QE2-class carriers from STOVL to CATOBAR ops would cost an absolute packet.

Situation normal...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joint_Combat_Aircraft#2010_Strategic_Defence_and_Security_Review

That's one problem with running a museum. The past is more certain than the future. It's still easier than running the real world though.

The UK version - the F-35C, a developed version of the F-35A seen here - will be a stealthy, multi-role, all-weather, day & night, fighter/attack air system aircraft that can operate from land bases and both current and the next generation of aircraft carriers, two of which (Queen Elizabeth Class) are now under construction for the Royal Navy. When the JCA enters service, it will be able to conduct deep strike missions, against a variety of targets.

http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/research/collections/lockheed-martin-joint-strike-fighter-jsf-1-f-/

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #402 on: 03 May, 2013, 10:25:36 am »

Brings back many happy memories - I instructed on Bulldogs from 1987-91 at RAF Finningley (Yorkshire Universities Air Squadron). Wonderful times.

Just checked my log book. We actually flew together I think!! I was a Nav student rather than UAS

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #403 on: 03 May, 2013, 11:30:41 am »
Excellent! I used to enjoy the nav courses, especially before they cut the Bulldog part right down. When did we fly? I'm in India at this moment, and can't check my logbooks (I will get them all on Excel eventually!).

PaulF

« Reply #404 on: 03 May, 2013, 11:37:07 am »
Was September '87, in XX621 - you also have the privilege of being the only pilot in my logbook because I dutifully completed it before being told we weren't supposed to as students until we'd completed the course!

TimC

« Reply #405 on: 03 May, 2013, 11:40:22 am »
Ah. What happened?

PaulF

« Reply #406 on: 03 May, 2013, 12:07:30 pm »
Got as far as the 7th Dominie sortie before the instructors finally twigged that I was as likely to bomb on of our allies as the enemy :D and we decided to call it a day. At the end of the day I couldn't take the level of 'cockpit pressure' :(

TimC

« Reply #407 on: 03 May, 2013, 12:46:52 pm »
Shame. Ah well, nav was a dying trade anyway! I hope you found something gainful to replace it.

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #408 on: 05 May, 2013, 07:23:58 pm »
Today when driving back from the Rutland camping weekend and a little way South of Stanstead, what looked like a Rutan Long EZ; if not that, some other canard configuration light aircraft.

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #409 on: 10 May, 2013, 09:20:45 am »
It's me again! Late away from the office last night owing to a disasterette caused by a sprinkler head failure I was walking by Cannon Street station when a Fairey Swordfish passed over, very slowly or perhaps flat out, accompanied by an assortment of helicopters. A few minutes later, directly overhead and between the buildings what I took to be a PBY Catalina with US markings, although as I could only see the underside of the hull I was unsure. All were pretty low and I assume something to do with the commemoration of the Battle of the Atlantic. It almost made it worth being late home!

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #410 on: 10 May, 2013, 01:43:44 pm »
Staying at a friend's in Eltham after the trans seminar yesterday, and we heard the choppers. Five, plus a swordfish. Then we watched it live on the One Show. We missed the PBY, though.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #411 on: 25 May, 2013, 04:45:56 pm »
Many years ago, got to work, walked round the corner of the Town Hall to be confronted by a parked Swordfish, complete with (hopefully dummy) torpedo.  They're bloody big, for a single engined plane.  T'was there for commemorative purposes, which was fine by me!  Not what you expect to find parked in front of the office, though.

At my previous workplace, there was an "unfortunate incident" involving a PBY catalina.  They took the mayor up in it, and killed him when it crashed into the sea... Not quite how they intended to treat their "VIP" guest.

At the same place, I had a visitor in for a meeting.  Half way through, several Spitfires turned up and started cavorting over the port.  Meeting ran a little late.. ;D
Wombat

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #412 on: 08 June, 2013, 04:34:15 pm »
Something looking remarkably like an Airbus Beluga over Hamburg airport on Monday this week.  Only 5 built, apparently. 

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #413 on: 07 July, 2013, 10:14:35 pm »
No pics, but saw many interesting planes today - including a proper display by the Vulcan, and another by the red arrows, and a pair of wing walkers - at Waddington with the Cubs, CrinklyUncle and CrinklyAuntie.  My favourites weren't actually planes though - I liked the dancing helicopters best of all.  EldestCub also got to play with the Vulcan simulation and, with a look of extreme concentration and not much help, managed to land it plumb down the middle of the virtual runway :D

« Reply #414 on: 16 August, 2013, 05:29:43 pm »
http://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/2013/08/16/flying-boat-to-fly-over-tower-bridge/

Catalina planned to "fly over Tower Bridge at 10:50am next Wednesday (21st Aug) and then fly along the Thames to Kingston (10.55), down to Chessington then over to Weybridge (11am), before heading down to Southampton.

It returns on Sunday reversing the same route and passing over Tower Bridge at around 4:15pm."

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #415 on: 16 August, 2013, 05:43:56 pm »
I'd love to see it reversing.  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #416 on: 19 August, 2013, 08:55:26 am »
Some sort of do at Headcorn airfield over the weekend with much automatic gunfire and explosions from the battlefied fanticists. But more interestingly several interesting aircraft flew past - on Saturday a P51 (I think, I was without specs) and a Hawker Hunter with flashy paint - perhaps Red Bull. Yesterday, Spitfire, Hurricane and Lancaster; this went on for some time which made me think that there might have been more than one Spitfire involved, but I was alas, again specless.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #417 on: 19 August, 2013, 09:06:52 am »
No photos, I am afraid, but since being down in Cambs I have seen, in no real order:

AWACS
a couple of C-17s (they are noisy bastards)
an odd, twin engined prop plane with really square wings
Several Apaches
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #418 on: 19 August, 2013, 09:36:33 am »
Some sort of do at Headcorn airfield over the weekend with much automatic gunfire and explosions from the battlefied fanticists. But more interestingly several interesting aircraft flew past - on Saturday a P51 (I think, I was without specs) and a Hawker Hunter with flashy paint - perhaps Red Bull. Yesterday, Spitfire, Hurricane and Lancaster; this went on for some time which made me think that there might have been more than one Spitfire involved, but I was alas, again specless.
The Eastbourne Air Show was on over the weekend I believe.

This Thursday and Friday it's the Clacton Air Show and the Vulcan is visiting. James (my husband) is going by boat, I'm going by trike and my Dad's flying down so we're a full Sea, Air and Land set!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #419 on: 19 August, 2013, 01:25:26 pm »

I would just like to say that I have no idea why a spelled fantasists like that!

« Reply #420 on: 19 August, 2013, 04:14:47 pm »

I'll hazard a guess that what you saw there might have been a CV-22 Osprey tilt-rotor - several of them have been deployed to RAF Mildenhall earlier this summer.

http://theaviationist.com/2013/06/25/first-u-s-air-force-osprey-egun/
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #421 on: 19 August, 2013, 04:20:12 pm »

I'll hazard a guess that what you saw there might have been a CV-22 Osprey tilt-rotor - several of them have been deployed to RAF Mildenhall earlier this summer.

http://theaviationist.com/2013/06/25/first-u-s-air-force-osprey-egun/

You could be right, the other thing I noted about it was the engine (or more precisely the prop) noise didn't seem right.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #422 on: 22 August, 2013, 08:52:29 pm »
As referenced in a different thread:

Following close examination, it's obviously... and aeroplane.

Specifically, it's a Catalina G-PBYA flying boat, which is currently based at the Imperial War Museum in Duxford, starting a five day tour around the UK.  Click on pic to take you to page where you can zoom in a bit.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #423 on: 23 August, 2013, 06:15:28 am »
What I think was an Orion P3 on final approach to Fairford at about 5pm on Tuesday.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #424 on: 23 August, 2013, 03:43:56 pm »
crikey, are they still in service? :o
Getting there...