Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1165707 times)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #4400 on: 23 September, 2011, 04:03:00 pm »
oh my.  i just went to exchange red cardboard for a unknown mystery at the sorting office - i vaguely hoped it might be my new (shiny!  go faster!  allegedy crinkly-idiocy-proof!) mobile but it was not to be.  this could have been mildly disappointing, however....

...instead it was a small but perfectly formed box, stuffed to the gunnels (not of your space wasting thorntons-esque plastic packaging here!) with rather a lot of really rather good chocolates, sent to cheer me up by a (i believe) swedish audaxer, currently resident in belgium. who i've never even met, although he has apparently tried my cheese scones (not impressed) and chocolate flapjack (rather more of a hit).

i've saved a couple of 'em for the cubs  :D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4401 on: 23 September, 2011, 04:52:56 pm »
Fab.  Hope there are more parcels to open very soon in the Crinklyhousehold. ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #4402 on: 23 September, 2011, 08:36:28 pm »
 :thumbsup:
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #4403 on: 23 September, 2011, 11:32:19 pm »
the bus depot is open, and i spoke to the nice chap there.  my lost purse will be travelling on the first available bus back from the end of the line towards me, and collection has been arranged at a depot at a mutually convenient point.  obv the cards are cancelled, but the cash is still in it.  i can't tell you how irrationally disproportionately happy this has made me.  something went right!
A six of weeks ago, I left my wallet on a train on arrival at St Pancras.  I realised several hours later.  When I got back there, and asked at the lost property office, the lady on the reception said "no, nothing's been handed in", then someone poked his head around the door at the back, and said, "There's this one", and it was mine.  So no cancellation of cards, all the cash still there.  Therefore a donation to their X-mas fund.

There are more decent people than criminals out there.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #4404 on: 27 September, 2011, 06:32:08 pm »
They (however they are) have built a new cycle and pedestrian bridge over the Foss leading to the new Hungate development.

This means I can ride home on a route that is about 50% virtually traffic free, as opposed to the inner ring road. This improves my commute home by about 90%

Is ver' nice. And apparently Maximus friendly (in bollard width terms), so could be a nice route for Tuesdays when we collect from the Aldwark area.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

CrinklyLion

« Reply #4405 on: 27 September, 2011, 09:33:09 pm »
off navigation road?  i found that one today for the first time.  it's a nice bridge  ;D

my good news?

we found the lost reading book that i didn't know was lost because it got sent home for the first time on thursday when i wasn't picking them up.

and the smallestcub was very excited about it  :)

« Reply #4406 on: 27 September, 2011, 09:41:23 pm »
off navigation road?  i found that one today for the first time.  it's a nice bridge  ;D

my good news?

we found the lost reading book that i didn't know was lost because it got sent home for the first time on thursday when i wasn't picking them up.

and the smallestcub was very excited about it  :)

Yes, that's the one, it only opened on Friday. A very nice useful route for me to get to and from work, and so much nicer than the horrible Layerthorpe junction.

Apparently, now that nephew Oli is at school he's refusing to take any storybooks out of the library, as he 'only needs information books'. My sister is smuggling storybooks into the heap, so as to stop him looking like a complete geek. He reported one day that at school they'd done "baby stuff". They'd been read a story....

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4407 on: 28 September, 2011, 12:50:43 pm »
Marj has been to the village to do some shopping. ON HER BIKE :thumbsup: despite her orthopeadic issues

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4408 on: 28 September, 2011, 02:04:53 pm »
:D :D :D and a :-* for the wonderful Marj
Getting there...

« Reply #4409 on: 28 September, 2011, 05:56:35 pm »
My builder mate has managed to remove our crumbling, cracked and precarious inner brick gable without the entire roof collapsing. No longer in imminent danger of two tons of bricks passing swiftly into our bedroom. This is good.
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

gordon taylor

« Reply #4410 on: 28 September, 2011, 06:02:57 pm »
Marj has been to the village to do some shopping. ON HER BIKE :thumbsup: despite her orthopeadic issues

That really is GOOD NEWS!

:thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4411 on: 28 September, 2011, 11:28:18 pm »
Excellent news for Marj!

I have learned that my brother in law Howard Hughes (yes, honestly) has reached the dizzy heights of 42nd in the English Chess Federation rating list with a grade of 223, his highest ever. That puts him ahead of a number of grandmasters and former British champions.

http://grading.bcfservices.org.uk/engtopplayers.php refers.

Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4412 on: 29 September, 2011, 09:14:42 am »
Doesn't get out much? ;D

That's quite an achievement.
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4413 on: 29 September, 2011, 09:30:13 am »
It's only an "E" grade which means it's based on very few games (A - E, where A is the most).

http://grading.bcfservices.org.uk/getref.php?ref=113173E is Howard's personal record.
It shows that he played only 3 games last year, I'd guess all of them for the Lancs first team. If he won the lot, he would be awarded the grade of each opponent + 50 points as an entry for his new grade. His entire grade is based on only 11 games over (I'm guessing here) a 3 year period.

So yes, he gets out quite a bit. He's also Junior Vice President and Newsletter Editor for the http://en.wikicollecting.org/great-britain-philatelic-society-stamp-collecting-club#toc2  ;D

Oh, he and Jan's sister run a couple of huge pharmacies, one in Burnley and the other near Manchester Airport.

Edit: they are off to Germany for a stamp event this coming weekend.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #4414 on: 29 September, 2011, 05:00:37 pm »
I had a call today from youngest son who was panicking over an overly-complicated bus timetable as he had a second interview for a job.   Having managed to calm him, check the bus timetable online and give him the relevant info...

he only went and nailed it!!!   WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so pleased for him.   He's been trying for so long, taking lots of temp work, slogging his guts out and getting rejection after rejection.   Suddenly it has come good for him due entirely to his bloody hard work and commitment.   

Well done son, I am soooooo proud of you.   ;D  :thumbsup:  ;D  :thumbsup:  ;D  :thumbsup:  ;D  :thumbsup:  ;D

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4415 on: 29 September, 2011, 05:01:30 pm »
Well done PB's youngest son, fantastic news!!!!

Now I think Dad needs to buy you a pint :D
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #4416 on: 29 September, 2011, 05:02:32 pm »
Indeed I do and it has already been promised  8)

CrinklyLion

« Reply #4417 on: 29 September, 2011, 05:14:02 pm »
\o/ for the junior bear.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4418 on: 29 September, 2011, 05:54:30 pm »
Whilst we are on job good news, I have just received an email saying my contract has been extended until 6/4/12!!!!

\o/
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4419 on: 29 September, 2011, 09:15:33 pm »
Excellent news from the Midlands and the North! :D
Getting there...

« Reply #4420 on: 29 September, 2011, 09:47:04 pm »
Our good news is , had an excellent holiday in Catalonia (via European Bike Bus) met some great people inc an 80 year old (young that should be) called Jack who rode the pants off everyone else  :)
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #4421 on: 29 September, 2011, 11:15:46 pm »
Fab news!  Nice to hear of people getting jobs after craptiemz.

In my good news, I *must* be feeling better (after 48hrs of TEH LURGZ) as I have just done 3 rounds of government department smiting, equality act nerding and I'm just about to hammer the EHRC guidance for something else.  After a full day at work of productivity!  Nothing better than some righteous nerding.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4422 on: 29 September, 2011, 11:19:47 pm »
In related good news: I wasn't planning an early night  :)

« Reply #4423 on: 01 October, 2011, 05:51:06 pm »
I've discovered that Pextons on Bishy Road stocks the 'Golden Fleece' style scourers my Mum especially likes, and which seemed to have vanished from the market.  The chap behind the counter says these are reintroduced, and they'll always stock them.  I'm going to see her next weekend. I've bought two packs to take her. What a glam present!

Also, although they can't cut MFWHTBAB's odd chubb key, they've suggested someone who can, on Walmgate.

« Reply #4424 on: 01 October, 2011, 11:59:31 pm »
Also, although they can't cut MFWHTBAB's odd chubb key, they've suggested someone who can, on Walmgate.

Now this I like, a lot of places would just say "Sorry, can't help.", places that actively try to help like this are a very good thing.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1