Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1165516 times)

LindaG

Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #5550 on: 25 October, 2012, 11:27:34 am »
Illy coffee are now making a grind for filters.  Shame it's £6 a bag though.  I'm not fussy enough to grind my own.  That's just silly.

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #5551 on: 25 October, 2012, 01:02:12 pm »
After procrastinating for 6+ months, I finally got my aeropress sorted for work coffee. OMFG, this thing is AWESOME! Proper espresso strength coffee in 1 minute. It's the tits, proper strong latte in the morning and then I can do a strong a hell short black 'allongé' in the PM!
FTFY ;)

I swear to god that is a genuine typo!!! Look at the keyboard - x is below s, honest!

The shame at falling prey to one of my own personal pet hate mispronunciation/spellings.....
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5552 on: 29 October, 2012, 03:54:19 pm »
Been waiting for weeks for the lawn to dry out to give it The Final Cut. Thought I'd blown it being away last week .....   but lo! It was bearably dry by lunchtime today!

So I raced round the lawn, cleaned up the mower for winter , and now ...

It's pissing down! Sorry if you're commuting home in this, but I'm loooooooving it :)

(It's the little things in life ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5553 on: 29 October, 2012, 03:59:24 pm »
You need Final Cut Pro.
It is simpler than it looks.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5554 on: 29 October, 2012, 04:04:51 pm »
(Is that Apple FanBoy humour ??? )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #5555 on: 30 October, 2012, 01:28:46 pm »
Been waiting for weeks for the lawn to dry out to give it The Final Cut. Thought I'd blown it being away last week .....   but lo! It was bearably dry by lunchtime today!

So I raced round the lawn, cleaned up the mower for winter , and now ...

It's pissing down!
Yeah. I was all set yesterday. But it's ready again . . . .

[edit]
Cut!
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #5556 on: 31 October, 2012, 08:34:41 am »
What is this 'lawn' of which you speak?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5557 on: 31 October, 2012, 04:25:23 pm »
Lawn: a versatile cycling accessory. Can be used as summer arrivee or control point or for fettling, also excellent for consumption of tea, cake, chips and beer. In winter it is easily converted to a cyclocross course.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #5558 on: 31 October, 2012, 04:39:56 pm »
Brother is coming out of his depression (Old CSA and ex wife not letting him see 2 youngest daughters). :facepalm:
He's got himself a puppy (Tilly).

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #5559 on: 01 November, 2012, 12:00:36 pm »
My AeroPress has arrived!  :D

I'll try it out after lunch and report.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

LindaG

« Reply #5560 on: 04 November, 2012, 08:36:55 pm »
My boss says I can have three weeks off next September to go and see my daughter in Toronto!!

:D :D :D :D :D

She also said I could have some new uniforms with zips that work, but that's just not as good.

« Reply #5561 on: 04 November, 2012, 08:47:54 pm »
My boss says I can have three weeks off next September to go and see my daughter in Toronto!!

She also said I could have some new uniforms with zips that work, but that's just not as good.

:thumbsup:

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5562 on: 04 November, 2012, 10:23:16 pm »

Congratulations! :thumbsup:
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #5563 on: 06 November, 2012, 07:13:59 am »
Great news, LG!
Our good news: we're having a great time cycling New Zealand. No mishaps so far. Hope I've not jinxed it now...

« Reply #5564 on: 06 November, 2012, 08:30:43 am »

Brilliant news, now you can start ticking the days off  :thumbsup:

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #5565 on: 06 November, 2012, 06:49:42 pm »
I found my winter booties!
I'm not going mad!
:)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #5566 on: 06 November, 2012, 09:17:59 pm »
Due to "Stuff" at work, I moved my non-working long w/e days from last week to this week.  That means I have two long w/e in a row.
Due to stuff, there's not much point in me going to work on Tuesday either, so I booked leave.

That meant I'd be off back to Wales Thursday afternoon, return for two days work the following Wednesday and then bugger off again Thursday afternoon.
Sod it.  Two more leave days booked.

Brum can do without me for a while.  :thumbsup:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #5567 on: 07 November, 2012, 11:35:07 am »
That is truly excellent news.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5568 on: 07 November, 2012, 01:29:29 pm »
The power is still on; sanity has prevailed in the US, and barakta received what appears to be a correctly repaired hearing aid in this morning's post.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #5569 on: 07 November, 2012, 05:06:39 pm »
I (we) have a blue form which apparently means I can tell (ask) the registrar we'd like to get married and where and when we'd like to do it.

This being the council they providing we meet all the requirements, no one objects and the registrar is free we will be given a pink form to take back to our appointed place.

I suspect the major theme of our wedding preparation will be the moving of various coloured forms between various council departments.

But however Huzzah we have a wedding venue :-)
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5570 on: 07 November, 2012, 05:10:19 pm »
Cool.
Getting there...

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #5571 on: 11 November, 2012, 05:53:51 pm »
I am able to see, and connect to, the wifi in the office of the holiday-let cottages next door.  (I did ask and they were happy to give me the password key.)
Hurrah, no more sitting out in the garden freezing to death, trying to get an Orange signal on my old phone.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5572 on: 11 November, 2012, 10:12:56 pm »
I've just had a very nice PM from a forummer who cycled from London to Southend today to attend the performance of the Armed Man at the Cliffs Pavilion.
Wow;

could I just say a great "bravo" for the performance this afternoon. I'd never heard of it this time last year when you mentioned the Southend concert but saw Benedictus at the Albert Hall last November; bought the CD and have been captivated by it ever since, such a powerful piece of music! and the first half was great too, Hymn for the Fallen one of my all time favourites,

Preceded by a ride along the London - Southend route which I've also never ridden before, a great route on a perfect day;

thanks again

:D
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #5573 on: 12 November, 2012, 05:22:56 pm »
I bumped into a university friend today who I havent seen in 20 years!

We're both at a very dull conference in frankfurt and were both having IT issues, so we were both standing at the same counter waiting for help from a friendly german.  I saw his namebadge and thought 'blimey, I was at college with someone called that, and you look like an older, fatter, balder version of him!

then he started talking and his voice hasnt changed a bit.  Turns out he's been living in africa for 10 years, just moved back to london and started a new job last month, which bought him to germany for this thing.

we're having a long lunch tomorrow, starting at noon....

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #5574 on: 17 November, 2012, 07:15:09 pm »
After a break of several weeks (14/15th Sept iirc) since I did a ride of any distance my body is feeling as if it might be able to cash the cheques my mind writes;providing they are small cheques.