Author Topic: Tour d'Oxfordshire for HoECC - 13-17 Sept  (Read 1638 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Tour d'Oxfordshire for HoECC - 13-17 Sept
« on: 12 September, 2021, 08:23:50 am »
Each year, except 2020, I've organised an overseas cycle tour of about 10 or 12 days for a groups of club members (between 6 and 14 riders) to various places in predominantly France although we have ventured into Belgium, Germany, Holland, Luxembourg.  After last year's cancellation we planned France for this year - thwarted again  >:(

So, it's a reprise for a group of 8 setting off from home, rather than the usual trains and ferries involved, for a reduced tour with stops at Burford, Dorchester-on-Thames, Chinnor & Hook Norton. . . much beer is consumed (the kitty in the now famous "brown purse" . . . that's moved on from cash to a debit card!) and fun had by all.   

Downside is the cost - France was usually in the region of Euro70 per person per night demi-pension . . . looks like it'll be more than double the per day cost.

Re: Tour d'Oxfordshire for HoECC - 13-17 Sept
« Reply #1 on: 12 September, 2021, 12:38:24 pm »
Camping to keep costs down ?

robgul

« Reply #2 on: 12 September, 2021, 12:44:41 pm »
Camping to keep costs down ?

To quote a tennis player : You cannot be serious!     

No, staying at pubs with rooms.  Last time I went camping was over 40 years ago and I'm not going to start again now.   We did pretty much the same tour back in 2010 with just 5 of us, again pubs & B&Bs

robgul

« Reply #3 on: 19 September, 2021, 08:12:06 am »
Well that was fun - some of the time.

As mentioned elsewhere under For Sale/FTAGH and Rainlegs I managed to tumble off the bike on Tuesday morning and create a massive bruise on my right buttock (made worse by the Warfarin I take)   

Riding for the remainder of Tuesday and Wednesday was OK on the flat but increasingly uncomfortable when climbing with the extra pressure and effort.  Thursday was going to be very lumpy so I hopped the train home and drove back to Hook Norton in The Cotswolds to meet the rest of the group for dinner and stay the night (room was already paid for) and then drove home on Friday. 

A bit disappointing for me, and could have been worse, but the other riders all enjoyed the trip and we managed to contribute several hundred quid to the beer sales of Oxfordshire brewers.

Next year's trip date is already pencilled in - but only if we can go to France/Northern Europe, as we normally do, where value for money is rather better than in the UK - Oxfordshire is EXPENSIVE :facepalm:

« Reply #4 on: 19 September, 2021, 03:06:22 pm »

As mentioned elsewhere under For Sale/FTAGH and Rainlegs I managed to tumble off the bike on Tuesday morning and create a massive bruise on my right buttock (made worse by the Warfarin I take)   

Riding for the remainder of Tuesday and Wednesday was OK on the flat but increasingly uncomfortable when climbing with the extra pressure and effort.  Thursday was going to be very lumpy so I hopped the train home and drove back to Hook Norton in The Cotswolds to meet the rest of the group for dinner and stay the night (room was already paid for) and then drove home on Friday. 

A bit disappointing for me, and could have been worse, but the other riders all enjoyed the trip and we managed to contribute several hundred quid to the beer sales of Oxfordshire brewers.

Next year's trip date is already pencilled in - but only if we can go to France/Northern Europe, as we normally do, where value for money is rather better than in the UK - Oxfordshire is EXPENSIVE :facepalm:

GWS!!

Of course UK is very expensive; AOF from overseas knows that! 11 years ago when I did a club trip to N Wales (provoked by RyanAir Limoges-Liverpool flight ), my mate Dominique remarked that he could have two weeks touring in eastern Europe with better hotels for less than we paid for five nights (including the flights). At the time the pound was cheap, £1=1.10€. I hate to think how it would be now! Come back to France, you know you'll like it (and there's duty-free on the boat now! ;D ;D )

robgul

« Reply #5 on: 19 September, 2021, 03:32:36 pm »

GWS!!

Of course UK is very expensive; AOF from overseas knows that! 11 years ago when I did a club trip to N Wales (provoked by RyanAir Limoges-Liverpool flight ), my mate Dominique remarked that he could have two weeks touring in eastern Europe with better hotels for less than we paid for five nights (including the flights). At the time the pound was cheap, £1=1.10€. I hate to think how it would be now! Come back to France, you know you'll like it (and there's duty-free on the boat now! ;D ;D )

Don't - I reckon that the accommodation, food, drink for the 5 days/4 nights was the same as, or possibly more than, it would have been in France.  The absolute bargains in France are small Logis de France type places with demi-pension rates and wine by the pichet (the UK beer was better though!)  The ferry costs are obviously on top but even they aren't punitive, and the crossing adds to the adventure.

Having travelled a bit in what was East Germany & Poland (driving the support vehicle/being mechanic for a charity ride) that has possibilities for good value and something different . . . I've stayed the night in Colditz Castle, interesting  :thumbsup:

« Reply #6 on: 04 October, 2021, 08:11:59 am »
Colditz Castle is an excellent DJH Youth Hostel - I got an entire 8 bunk en suite room to myself for 28 Euros per night (If you pay for a single via the DJH website, they don't have any, so reserve you an entire room).

The cycle route from Leipzig to Dresden is excellent, easy to get to from Berlin (although I'm not sure about the new Airport which has finally replaced Tegel) - I'm hoping to get the new night train from Rotterdam to Berlin to re-do this route (and on my own bike, not a 3 speed mixte hire bike with backpedal brakes and a basket).

Can probably head down towards either Bad Schandau or Decin to return to Rotterdam https://www.europeansleeper.eu/english/

robgul

« Reply #7 on: 04 October, 2021, 08:24:04 am »
Colditz Castle is an excellent DJH Youth Hostel - I got an entire 8 bunk en suite room to myself for 28 Euros per night (If you pay for a single via the DJH website, they don't have any, so reserve you an entire room).

The cycle route from Leipzig to Dresden is excellent, easy to get to from Berlin (although I'm not sure about the new Airport which has finally replaced Tegel) - I'm hoping to get the new night train from Rotterdam to Berlin to re-do this route (and on my own bike, not a 3 speed mixte hire bike with backpedal brakes and a basket).

Can probably head down towards either Bad Schandau or Decin to return to Rotterdam https://www.europeansleeper.eu/english/

Colditz, the building, seems to house the hostel of which part is pretty much hotel standard together with some sort of music college/conservatoire.

One memory was the lift in the main building that had announcements, in English for some reason, as the car arrived at each floor . . .  especially amusing was "Ground Floor" which was pronouced as if it was Barbara Windsor speaking in the style of "Get out of my pub" in Eastenders.