Author Topic: Broken trike  (Read 3726 times)

Broken trike
« on: 17 March, 2013, 07:24:25 pm »
I've related my sad tale elsewhere, but suffice it to say:

The crack in the middle is the problem.

Now trying to decide whether to go for a straight new tube and respray (plus an axle, probably) or some upgrading...

Re: Broken trike
« Reply #1 on: 18 March, 2013, 07:46:41 am »
Option 1 - new tube and a respray.
Option 2 - new tube, change to Trykit two wheel drive, respray.
Option 3 - "I need a new frame dear. "

If option 1 costs £x, then option 2 will be £2x, and option 3 will be nearer £10x. 
The advantage of option 2 and in option 3 is that you will end up with a trike that is maintainable since it is now on cassettes but it will have ditched the rear brake.

The reason I'd be keen to ditch the rear brake is because it makes the back end very hard to work on.  I have recently acquired a Rogers with a rear drum so I know that the drum is welded to the back of the drive boss which means that without fabricating special tools I can see no way of holding the drive boss in a vice so that I can remove the block.  So I have ditched the drum brake and fitted a Trykit cassette carrier.  This leads to problems of its own because with the drum brake out of the way the cassette sits so close to the back plate of the drum (the bit attached to the frame) that the bottom sprocket fouls the brake fulcrum.  So I have fitted 7 of the 8 sprockets and then spacers to give clearance. 

An option for you is to replace the tube, removing the drum brake at the same time and then fit a cassette carrier.  This of course assumes you have two front brakes, if not you will need to have them fitted.  I think this is your minimum cost option but with the sensible upgrade to cassette.

I am up to 4 trikes now.  Two Longstaff two wheel drive, one Trykit two wheel drive and a single wheel drive small wheel Rogers which is a "project".

« Reply #2 on: 18 March, 2013, 06:49:51 pm »
Ken Rogers' trikes were always the 'affordable' end of the market. I visited his workshop once. I'd forget option 1.

« Reply #3 on: 18 March, 2013, 08:05:42 pm »
Hope you get your trike sorted soon Dave. I promise not to 'molish your wheels again honest.....!
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: 18 March, 2013, 08:39:10 pm »
Doesn't seem as though I need any help to molish them, does it :-\

I had an email exchange with Geoff Booker yesterday, which says pretty much the same as tatanab's comment above. Don't think I'm in the market for a new frame. Even if I could justify it, I'm by instinct one for repairing things if I can. And Rogers may be budget trikes, but I'm not exactly a high-end rider ;)

I may well lose the drum brake. The previous owner lived in the North York Moors. I don't, and I've upgraded both front brakes since I bought it anyway - tatanab may remember advising me on fitting a new side-pull. I never use the drum - for one thing, you have to twist your foot, which with SPDs doesn't really work.

How much will new axles deal with Ian H's reservations about the maker? The 2WD upgrade would come to up to four times what I paid for the trike in the first place - and I'd need new derailleurs and Ergos as well :o I've probably bent the left axle, and Geoff did offer to replace both - that would give me stronger axles, but at over half the cost of the 2WD option.

On the cost side, therefore, option 1 does look a real possibility :-\

« Reply #5 on: 18 March, 2013, 09:16:59 pm »
As far as I'm aware, his frame-building wasn't too bad. It was the specific trike engineering in the back end that was a little agricultural in execution

mtrike

• aka action barbie
« Reply #6 on: 18 March, 2013, 10:13:41 pm »
Or hope that rather nice 853 Longstaff reappears on e bay!

« Reply #7 on: 18 March, 2013, 10:25:45 pm »
Didn't see that. I don't tend to track eBay. I've always been worried that I'd buy too much, so I've never bid there...

mtrike

• aka action barbie
« Reply #8 on: 19 March, 2013, 01:40:46 pm »
Didn't see that. I don't tend to track eBay. I've always been worried that I'd buy too much, so I've never bid there...
Very wise it's cost me three trikes so far.

« Reply #9 on: 20 March, 2013, 08:08:33 am »
"That's an interesting looking repair project David" he says, polishing the Tig welder ;)

« Reply #10 on: 20 March, 2013, 07:43:10 pm »
 ;D Are there any tools you don't have? :thumbsup:

Thanks for the offer. I think I'm going to take the chance to upgrade the drive a bit through Trykit, however.

« Reply #11 on: 20 March, 2013, 10:13:03 pm »
;D Are there any tools you don't have? :thumbsup:

Thanks for the offer. I think I'm going to take the chance to upgrade the drive a bit through Trykit, however.

Multi axis mill would be nice, oh, a bigger workshop.

« Reply #12 on: 05 April, 2013, 10:29:23 pm »
Well I went over to Trykit a couple of weeks ago and had a very good conversation with Geoff. I took a couple of days to think it over, and went for the full works - repair with 2WD conversion, full respray, some minor works such as bottle-cage sockets.

Geoff rang yesterday. Since he had to replace the broken tube, he'd been able to align the back end perfectly for the 2WD. The frame's going off for a respray now, and there's still the axle assembly to make.

Looking forward to getting it back (but that's still some weeks away).

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #13 on: 06 April, 2013, 06:50:15 am »
I think that is great news, or at least a good way of making lemonade from lemons.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #14 on: 26 April, 2013, 12:05:59 am »
Heard back today. It's ready to collect. Hoping to go over next week if I can get a day off.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Pictures will follow :)

« Reply #15 on: 30 April, 2013, 09:24:16 am »
Just off to collect it...

« Reply #16 on: 03 May, 2013, 07:09:09 am »
Well!

« Reply #17 on: 03 May, 2013, 08:11:56 am »
Sorry. I may not be camping with you all in Rutland this weekend, but I am off camping with the Scouts on a County event. I'm rather focussed on that at present. About to start packing the Mercian - I do get to do it as a cycle camp :thumbsup:

Anyway, here you are:

I'm frankly in awe of the engineering ability that can design something like that from scratch and then make it from bare metal. Apparently Geoff had not only to replace one axle housing, as expected, but also to make a new bearing housing, because of misaligned threads. The trike is now narrower, because the old axle housing was a full-length one and there was a drum brake in the line.

« Reply #18 on: 03 May, 2013, 08:29:52 am »
That looks lush, looking forward to seeing it in the flesh.
Have a good weekend buddy.

« Reply #19 on: 03 May, 2013, 08:41:49 am »
That looks really very nice. Enjoy.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain