Author Topic: Moulton TSR rear rack information needed  (Read 1546 times)

Moulton TSR rear rack information needed
« on: 27 July, 2020, 05:25:53 pm »
Is there more than one type of rear rack available for the Moulton TSRA8?
Has the design changed over the TSR life and are there any known problems with rear racks, please?
Never knowingly under caffeinated

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Moulton TSR rear rack information needed
« Reply #1 on: 27 July, 2020, 05:36:09 pm »
Slope will confirm the exact problem but the day rack seems to damage the Monosphere housing.  I had to tap a dent out of it from inside and touch up the paint.  And yes, he did tell me about it before I bought it from him.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 27 July, 2020, 05:39:23 pm »
A Day rack, designed for a narrow, tall but not very long bag. It cantilevers from a plastic-sleeved tube over the suspension housing and the rack mount.

A Big rack, designed to be used with a racktop bag or in combination with a clipped-on TSR ‘Big bag’ with integral frame for touring loads. It bolts to the seatpost clamp and the rack mount only.

No specific issues with either rack but heavily overloading the big rack ‘naked’ might damage the rack. The naked rack certainly flexes once the load increases. The big bag frame triangulates the otherwise unsupported cantilever section. The designs have not changed over time EDIT: the earliest big bags used Karrimor pannier clips, replaced with another brand after Karrimor got bought out. No functional difference but the mounting clip at the seatpost has to be adjusted a couple of millimetres to interchange with later big bags.

We have both types here. HK prefers a racktop bag on the big rack for brevets. I prefer the discontinued Weekend bag on the day rack.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #3 on: 27 July, 2020, 06:25:57 pm »
I had the day rack and specific (Carradice) bag for a few weeks on what is now rogerzilla's TSR.

It did just accommodate a 4 pack of 500ml Stella tinnies once - so perhaps 2kg was over spec?

And did indeed slightly dent the fragile thin monosphere housing where it rested above  :(

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: 27 July, 2020, 06:31:30 pm »
I noticed a mark on the housing from the day rack but think it is paint only (could be wrong). I have not removed the day rack for a few years. My TSR is a tool for accumulating memories and is missing enough paint for me to ignore minor indignities. Slope’s bikes tend more towards the rolling art end of that spectrum.

« Reply #5 on: 27 July, 2020, 07:53:50 pm »
So I might get problems with a 3.5kg battery?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6 on: 27 July, 2020, 07:58:49 pm »
Big rack: Weight limit 10kg (16kg with TSR Rack bag).

3.5kg would be a lot for the day rack.

« Reply #7 on: 27 July, 2020, 11:20:55 pm »
I've recently acquired a large rack and bag for my TSR. As with most things Moulton it appears slightly more complex, expensive (even second hand) and weightly than it ought to for its purpose, but having used it you're left impressed by its design and functionality. I didn't test anything like it's capacity but it did seem ideally shaped for a six pack...

« Reply #8 on: 28 July, 2020, 06:43:04 am »
As with most things Moulton it appears slightly more complex, expensive (even second hand) and weightly than it ought to for its purpose, but having used it you're left impressed by its design and functionality. I didn't test anything like it's capacity but it did seem ideally shaped for a six pack...

:)

« Reply #9 on: 28 July, 2020, 02:40:40 pm »
I have seen this for sale as a TSR rack but do not seem to be able to find any up to date pictures of a TSR rack with this configuration.

Can anybody confirm that it will fit a 2020 TSR?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #10 on: 28 July, 2020, 02:49:23 pm »
Yes it should fit but with those additional braces and shortened zigzag, it might well be aftermarket mods.

« Reply #11 on: 28 July, 2020, 03:00:30 pm »
Yes it should fit but with those additional braces and shortened zigzag, it might well be aftermarket mods.

I'm assuming that the bits sticking up go to the seat post clamp. Does it require a special seat post clamp?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12 on: 28 July, 2020, 03:22:19 pm »
It uses the same seat clamp but requires two bolts (long and short) into the threaded section of the clamp.

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #13 on: 28 July, 2020, 03:23:06 pm »
Here's a pic of my ex TSR with the large rear rack which came with the bolts mentioned ^ by LW&B. The seat post clamp was the one that came with the bare frameset.

IMG_0067 by Paul Weston, on Flickr

« Reply #14 on: 30 July, 2020, 01:18:43 pm »
Thanks all.
I bought the rack and my battery fits on it.
The chap had a very nice Moulton collection.

« Reply #15 on: 31 July, 2020, 03:11:52 pm »
Here's a pic of my ex TSR with the large rear rack which came with the bolts mentioned ^ by LW&B. The seat post clamp was the one that came with the bare frameset.

IMG_0067 by Paul Weston, on Flickr

Thanks Paul

The chap had one in the same colour as you with a Rohloff hub gear.

« Reply #16 on: 08 August, 2020, 05:15:39 pm »
My strengthened rear rack is now Wilko Satin Black and I have rough cut a thin aluminium plate to take the battery shoe.