Author Topic: Liverpool  (Read 24776 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: Liverpool
« Reply #25 on: 14 March, 2020, 09:52:09 am »
No relegations would certainly be challenged by those clubs currently in expectation of promotion.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #26 on: 14 March, 2020, 10:38:13 am »
They should use the Duckworth-Lewis method.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #27 on: 14 March, 2020, 11:12:13 am »

That would probably end up with Southampton being crowned champions.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #28 on: 14 March, 2020, 11:22:52 am »
I'm sure the EPL and other organisations have a disaster plan* with guidance for what happens if a season cannot be completed.

* Although It may well be the joke plan they knocked up down the pub with Zombie apocolypse crossed out and Covid19 pencilled in.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #29 on: 14 March, 2020, 12:51:37 pm »

That would probably end up with Southampton being crowned champions.

Watford are clearly champions, having beaten Liverpool.

Oh no, wait, that means Crystal Palace are...
It is simpler than it looks.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #30 on: 14 March, 2020, 01:10:22 pm »
They should use the Scaryduckworth-Lewis method.

FTFY.  Google it if you have a strong stomach.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #31 on: 14 March, 2020, 01:11:26 pm »
The problem with planning is there's no idea when it'll be "safe" to start playing football again, so you can't really make any plans or decisions other than "stop it all for now".

If they just end this season as it is and say they'll start the next one in August then there's very little chance that will happen, and so two seasons could end up being incomplete.

My guess is that this season will be finished off at some point later in the year or early next year. Euro 2020 will be moved to 2021 and the football calendar for next season radically chopped up before things get back on track starting August 2021. If there's any significant spare time between the end of the current season and the start of the next one (e.g. Aug 2021) then they'll come up with something to fill the time that wouldn't be a full standard season.

Meanwhile a huge number of clubs will either go under or have to be bailed out significantly to keep afloat.

P.S. It's Duckworth-Lewis-Stern now.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #32 on: 14 March, 2020, 01:59:29 pm »
Most leagues have about ten games to go.  If it was safe to start again, say by June, that would leave two months to get a dozen games in.  The grounds are still going to be there.  The players could get a bit of experience of what it's like to have a real job and still only have to play a couple of times a week.   But I expect we'd get a lot of lawyer stuff from owners and agents about protecting investments from injury.

In the case of there being no completion, I would have thought it would be fair to say a side's current position represents fairly it's efforts so far this season. And that includes promotion and relegation.  But, being fair, it probably won't happen.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #33 on: 14 March, 2020, 02:50:34 pm »
I think if the resumption of this season is delayed into what is nominally next season, so August 2020, it will cease to make sense to complete it. Therefore it will probably be an uncompleted season.  In fact, an uncompleted season followed by either a fallow season or some sort of half-season. Whether champions will be crowned oops, awarded, will presumably come down to league by league decisions.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #35 on: 14 March, 2020, 09:59:16 pm »
I think if the resumption of this season is delayed into what is nominally next season, so August 2020, it will cease to make sense to complete it. Therefore it will probably be an uncompleted season.  In fact, an uncompleted season followed by either a fallow season or some sort of half-season. Whether champions will be crowned oops, awarded, will presumably come down to league by league decisions.

An uncompleted season would be a field day for lawyers (and this is a multi billion pound league).

I'd expect the existing league to be finished eventually.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #36 on: 16 March, 2020, 01:14:34 pm »
If we're aiming, according to the current official plan, for a long flat peak, then isolation season might well not be over before August, which will make it complicated either running two seasons simultaneously or accepting a delay to next season. But they might go for matches in locked stadiums, as I think they're doing in Spain.

« Reply #37 on: 16 March, 2020, 02:50:50 pm »
There is another complication in that the majority of player contracts only run to July 1. So even if they decided to complete the season (I expect they will want to play the games so as to avoid refunding TV and season ticket holders), it may be that players have become unavailable due to contracts expiring (and that's ignoring the transfer window possibilities).
I wonder if they can complete this season in the autumn, run Euro 2020 during January alongside Afcon, and have a sort of half season tournament involving 19 games (and playoffs?) next spring, to restart normal league operation in August 2021. Probably too many things to fit in though, and too many legal arguments.
I also wonder if they will complete the national cups and the Champions/Europa leagues - while ehy might not affect relegation, they still offer the possibility of qualifying for european competition next time around, so I can't see anyone being happy about it being abandoned.

It's a mess. :(

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #38 on: 16 March, 2020, 03:32:34 pm »
It's a mess. :(
That at least is certain!

« Reply #39 on: 16 March, 2020, 03:48:58 pm »

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #40 on: 17 March, 2020, 08:20:36 pm »
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #41 on: 22 March, 2020, 12:46:02 pm »
She seems like a nice, genuine girl...

Thank you Matty for sharing -
A pleasure Steve  :-*
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #42 on: 22 March, 2020, 01:45:34 pm »
Just a pipe dream but I was wondering whether we might come out of this all with a desire for amateur sport again and kiss goodbye to the values that have distorted the sports we love for so long.  There has been football for a couple of weeks, England have decided against an embarrassing Test defeat in Sri Lanka and the world is still going round.  Pro sport - who needs it.....?!  Obviously there will be a knock-on effect in the steroids industry, etc.  But that has to be balanced against no more pundits.....  Just dreaming, as I said.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #43 on: 22 March, 2020, 04:23:18 pm »
Just a pipe dream but I was wondering whether we might come out of this all with a desire for amateur sport again and kiss goodbye to the values that have distorted the sports we love for so long.  There has been football for a couple of weeks, England have decided against an embarrassing Test defeat in Sri Lanka and the world is still going round.  Pro sport - who needs it.....?!  Obviously there will be a knock-on effect in the steroids industry, etc.  But that has to be balanced against no more pundits.....  Just dreaming, as I said.

What do you say, David?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #44 on: 25 March, 2020, 07:55:27 pm »
You are the new John Lennon (sports dept, anyway). Do you have a Yoko yet??

David Millar was talking about arranging Rebel Racing for all the pro cyclists in Girona with nothing to do (this was during Paris-Nice i.e. pre-full-lockdown, to be clear). Some brilliant mad ideas about impromptu, turn-up and ride, semi-improvised format races. Nothing wrong with dreams  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #45 on: 04 April, 2020, 05:02:59 pm »
Super-rich Liverpool FC to use the government furlough scheme. :jurek:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52165826

« Reply #46 on: 04 April, 2020, 09:49:17 pm »
 >:( I know there are other clubs doing it, and many other businesses will do so, but Carra is right. LFC should do the right thing, not the easy thing.  >:(

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #47 on: 05 April, 2020, 08:48:53 am »
>:( I know there are other clubs doing it, and many other businesses will do so, but Carra is right. LFC should do the right thing, not the easy thing.  >:(
As you say, plenty of other businesses doing it - it feels like footballers are an easy target here. There isn't an easy answer here, it looks like most PL players are trying to do something.

Matt Hancock's speech about this was quite pathetic. "my colleagues in the NHS" ?!? twat.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #48 on: 05 April, 2020, 09:32:24 am »
I don’t know the ins and outs of LFC’s decision to furlough staff but it wouldn’t be the first time the current owners have misjudged the public mood.

However, Hancock is an arse. Trying to make political capital out of footballers while demonstrating his basic incompetence for his job every time he opens his mouth.

Jamie Carragher also has a track record for talking shite as well, and regularly exposes himself as a bit clueless.

Meanwhile, Jordan Henderson is doing less talking and more getting on with stuff:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/apr/03/liverpool-jordan-henderson-sets-up-premier-league-coronavirus-fund-for-nhs
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #49 on: 05 April, 2020, 11:49:35 am »
The thing is that the Premier league clubs don't live hand to mouth, and could afford to cover the cost of the staff they have furloughed without access to the scheme. There was a "Price of Football" podcast where they basically said that the amount of money Spurs would save by using the furlough scheme for 3 months was slightly smaller than the bonus that Daniel Levy got paid (as announced in the accounts 1 day before the furlough announcement). It might be normal business practise, but it is a terrible PR move. Likewise, the vast majority of premier league players could take a sizeable pay cut and not be significantly affected.

However, the clubs further down the pyramid live hand-to-mouth, and in many cases the players are paid the sort of money that non-sportspeople earn - they have mortgages and all the normal sort of expenses. These are the people the PFA need to look after when agreeing wage cuts/deferrals (and deferrals aren't much good if you think the club might go bust). So while all these meetings and delays seem excessive, when Barca players (or whoever) have agreed to wage cuts, the situation is much more complex than first meets the eye.
The idea of getting Premier League squads to contribute a portion of their salaries towards coronavirus measures seems like a good one however, much better than the clubs just paying them less (and then banking the money).