Author Topic: Bike Trailer recommendations  (Read 4371 times)

Bike Trailer recommendations
« on: 12 September, 2020, 11:48:09 am »
Hi all,
I’m getting ahead of myself a little here as I have an 8wk old, BUT I am already looking at Bike Trailers.
Recommendations please?
I started off by thinking a solo seat would be best and more compact, but then would a double seat be more practical and stable. What do I need to look out for please?

Re: Bike Trailer recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 12 September, 2020, 01:21:46 pm »
I've had a couple of cheaper ones for occasional use taking grandsons out. I sold them for as much as I paid for them.

The attachment to the bike was on the rear axle, and I was never confident using them on a quick release, so ended up towing with the fixie or a recumbent.  ::-)

Childers have to be old enough to sit up well themselves, as under about 18 months, they will get shaken down in the trailer and end up nearly hung by the straps.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #2 on: 06 October, 2020, 10:25:24 pm »
A lot of people like the thule ones (used to be Chariot). They are good, but they tend to have very limited storage space, once the child is bigger. I prefer the croozer ones for that reason. Burley are also highly thought of. If you are likely to use it in pushchair mode, the thule/chariot ones work extremely well as a pushchair or running buggy - we went on a march with the lad in it when he was way past normal pushchair size (about 6, I think) and it was still easy to push, even compared to normal pushchairs. The cheaper ones tend to be heavier and less effective as a pushchair for regular use. If you aren't likely to swap between modes very often, one of the cheaper ones may well be fine, although I would avoid very cheep ones as they can be rather flimsy. If you are on Facebook, there is a very knowledgeable family cycling UK page. It is possible to get a baby/toddler insert which helps support a smaller child.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #3 on: 10 October, 2020, 11:38:37 pm »
If you spend more you can get something that can transform into a pram.  If you have a big trailer you may not be able to get it in/out of the house easy.  A hamax childseat is probably a better bet when they're ~1 year old, but trailers are defo better.

I've towed the twins with a fixie - much easier than just on kid in the child seat.

Oh, and congrats on the little un.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #4 on: 14 November, 2022, 01:05:44 pm »
Slight thread revival, but I'm on the lookout for a trailer to fit my twin grand childen in.  Just missed out on a Thule Coaster XT on Ebay which was an utter bargain, so now looking at new ones.

Anyone got experience of the Halfords Advanced Double?  Or the Decathlon 40 kg capacity bike trailer original?

I don't think it will be in every day use, just when they visit.  Downslink is near by, which has an ok surface, certainly not grarly single track. 
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #5 on: 14 November, 2022, 01:28:23 pm »
Hi, we have a Burley D'Lite (Double trailer, 20" wheels, and has small front wheels to switch into being a big buggy), which I was about to get ready to sell, if of interest. It's in Birmingham, and is probably too big to post. Well used, but still with plenty of life, our kids have now outgrown it.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #6 on: 14 November, 2022, 01:57:14 pm »
Ooh, that sounds interesting.  Is that the one with suspension? 
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #7 on: 14 November, 2022, 02:06:27 pm »
Hi, yes, spring suspension. I can get it out and send some photos if you want to send me a PM?