Author Topic: The what, now?  (Read 2204 times)

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
The what, now?
« on: 07 April, 2021, 02:19:10 pm »
I was noodling about at a well-known online cycling emporium, as one does when one has not been in an actual shop for more than 12 months, and discovered something called:

"Lucho Dillitos Colombian Bocadillo Guava Energy Bar"

It looks faintly dubious to me, and that name makes me wonder if the main ingredient is compressed marching powder.

Now I need to know if they are any good.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

Re: The what, now?
« Reply #1 on: 07 April, 2021, 02:27:17 pm »
I have vague memories of somebody giving me a bar of this. I don't recall thinking I needed to go out straight away and buy some more so I think your suspicions as to its main ingredient may be misplaced.

« Reply #2 on: 07 April, 2021, 02:28:11 pm »
Not sure I'd be interested in an energy bar that promises to bring 00mph to all activities.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #3 on: 07 April, 2021, 02:30:04 pm »
 ;D

« Reply #4 on: 07 April, 2021, 02:35:24 pm »
Just remembered when I had it. It was out on a bike ride a Columbian friend called Camillo, and yes, he said that it is the usual thing to eat in Columbia

ravenbait

« Reply #5 on: 07 April, 2021, 02:39:42 pm »
I have vague memories of somebody giving me a bar of this. I don't recall thinking I needed to go out straight away and buy some more so I think your suspicions as to its main ingredient may be misplaced.
Well, that's a relief.

What did it taste like?

Sam
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

« Reply #6 on: 07 April, 2021, 02:44:18 pm »
Well, that's a relief.

Not for me, it wasn't.

What did it taste like?

IIRC (which I often don't)  like a soft fruity fudge.

« Reply #7 on: 07 April, 2021, 02:53:33 pm »
You don't need Colombian Attitude Adjuster when you have TorqGels.
The two sachets I have are showing Best Before 09.

What could possibly go wrong?

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #8 on: 07 April, 2021, 02:56:34 pm »
What could possibly go wrong?

Might give you some 00mph.

« Reply #9 on: 07 April, 2021, 02:58:55 pm »
Or at least a very short burst of high speed for a very short journey  ;)

« Reply #10 on: 07 April, 2021, 03:09:35 pm »
I've got some of that in my big box o' snacks!

I think some (relatively) famous hillrunner in my BMC magazine said it was good and I think there was a discount code, and I liked the biodegradable leaf packaging too except when it arrived the whole package was wrapped in plastic which sort of defeated the object. I would buy again especially if they sorted out the packaging properly. It didn't cost enough to have anything remotely exciting in it I don't think...

It's a bit like eating a block of very slightly fruity sugar (soft fruity fudge as mentioned above sounds about right) but I've got a sweet tooth so I'm ok with that. For me it fulfils the same function as eating actual fudge or kendal mint cake when I want a hit of sugar quickly if I'm out on a ride or hillwalk.

ravenbait

« Reply #11 on: 07 April, 2021, 04:03:33 pm »
It's a bit like eating a block of very slightly fruity sugar (soft fruity fudge as mentioned above sounds about right) but I've got a sweet tooth so I'm ok with that. For me it fulfils the same function as eating actual fudge or kendal mint cake when I want a hit of sugar quickly if I'm out on a ride or hillwalk.

Yuck. Thanks for that. Now I know not to get any!

Sam

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #12 on: 07 April, 2021, 04:05:13 pm »
It looks like it's just plain guava jelly /bocadillo in some fancy wrapping. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guava_jelly
I brought a big lump back from Brazil years ago. It was just like a very mahoosive organic fruit pastille.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #13 on: 07 April, 2021, 04:07:51 pm »
I got sent a box of that stuff when they first launched it in the UK. I liked it. Soft fruity fudge/massive fruit pastille are good descriptions. Very sweet, but more palatable than most energy gels.

And definitely more palatable than Kendal Mint Cake!  :sick:

Since I used up that initial supply, I've never bought any more. I didn't like it that much. But I would definitely accept a freebie again if offered.

I liked the biodegradable leaf packaging too

Yes, that's a positive - though it can become unravelled in a jersey pocket...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #14 on: 07 April, 2021, 04:16:45 pm »
We have some in the house just now. We bought some a while ago, and mr fimm got some more just recently.

Not as sweet as Kendal Mint cake. Nice enough, especially if you like things that are sweeter (like Kendal Mint Cake!).
The first lot we had had quite a lot of plastic packaging. The current lot just has plastic round the outside. Given that I assume the whole thing would go to mush if it got wet, I guess some waterproofing is inevitable.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #15 on: 07 April, 2021, 09:22:45 pm »
It sounds good to me. But I do like both guava and Kendal Mint Cake. Now I'm recalling guava halves in India sold with a bit of – actually I can't remember what it was, but some sort of sour-hot spice you rubbed on it. I wonder what Guava Mint Cake would be like?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #16 on: 07 April, 2021, 09:33:08 pm »
Or you could buy this with less marketing for a fraction of the price.
https://www.souschef.co.uk/products/la-costena-guava-paste-240g

ian

« Reply #17 on: 07 April, 2021, 09:35:18 pm »
It sounds good to me. But I do like both guava and Kendal Mint Cake. Now I'm recalling guava halves in India sold with a bit of – actually I can't remember what it was, but some sort of sour-hot spice you rubbed on it. I wonder what Guava Mint Cake would be like?

You get guava halves sprinkled with chaat masala. It's odd but curiously nice. It was probably that.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #18 on: 07 April, 2021, 09:38:11 pm »
Actually I've just remembered we got given some by our ride leader when we went to Cuba in 2019. It was fine but tremendously sticky and you didn't need a lot.