Author Topic: Out of touch - lighting  (Read 1960 times)

Out of touch - lighting
« on: 11 May, 2021, 04:53:39 pm »
Returning to cycling after years away. Starting very slowly and very short distances - I am old, unfit and the environment is lumpy.

Where I live is rural, very rural, so the vast majority of my cycling will be narrow, winding French country roads and lanes.

I always have preferred the 'lit up like a Christmas tree' approach to lighting. I'd use lights not just when it's dark, but also if foggy or raining.

I am incredibly out of date as regards what is what with regards to lighting these days.

I haven't got a lot of money, so advice as to good value, visible, decent area of lighting in front, run time of at least four hours will be greatly appreciated.

Ta in advance.

Loving life in France (53 - Mayenne)

Re: Out of touch - lighting
« Reply #1 on: 11 May, 2021, 05:54:21 pm »
I did a little comparison video the other day for cheap/sort-of-mid-range/good "be-seen" lights that I have. I think, in a pinch, you could use the Knog front light on solid to ride slowly in the dark.
The Knog lights are more expensive, but significantly the brightest, most visible, and in fixed+flash modes, give you the best of both worlds for being seen (flash grabs attention, solid gives positional and speed info to the viewer's eyes).
I ummed and ahhed for a while, then decided that if I was ever knocked off by not being seen, I'd likely be laying there wishing I'd spent the extra 30 quid on the Knogs...

https://youtu.be/8RzHuazQtYI
Back in the saddle :)

« Reply #2 on: 11 May, 2021, 07:10:28 pm »
Merci Defblade. I will take a look

Added..

Just had a look. Most instructive. Thanks.

« Reply #3 on: 12 May, 2021, 12:20:13 pm »
Having a reflector as part of a steady rear light helps drivers judge distance. I've a Spanninga Elips (based on a old Philips design). Busch and Muller Secula are good too. For flashing rear lights (good to have both steady and flash) look at Moon lights, I've a USB rechargable Moon Alcor.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 12 May, 2021, 12:22:59 pm »
I thought flashing was verboten in French France?

« Reply #5 on: 12 May, 2021, 12:46:01 pm »
One of the many ways they are more civilised than us.

« Reply #6 on: 14 May, 2021, 11:46:23 pm »

It is - whch is why a lot of non-sensible cyclists, who actually can't avoid riding at night, tend to have flashing lights (as distinct from the long distance crowd who tend to be law-abiding). You're also not meant to have more than one light and it's meant to be on the bike, not on clothing, helmet or luggage. Some places (like La Rochelle when my daughter was there) have road safety campaigns to try to enforce this. The really cool kids in town (and the stealthy ones dealing in non-therapeutic pharmaceuticals) don't bother about lights at all (or brakes for that matter) but then I live in a city and neighbouring an urban priority area.

if the budget is tight there are some remarkably good lights to be had in your local grande surface. I picked up a rear for 12€ (led USB charging) that was every bit as good as my 30€ Lezyne 5my daughter lost it and I have not yet seen another one but I don't look every week. They will however be unbranded generic chinese. Fronts on the other hand are more dodgy if battery powered although the dynamo ones are quite respectable (but make sure to get led, not halogen bulbs which abound still - or did the last time I looked)

edit: I forgot to say that dynamo headlights in supermarkets tend to be for bottle (sidewall) dynamos and not have the switch for switching on and off with a dynohub

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 15 May, 2021, 01:01:46 pm »

With lighting, you get what you pay for.

I run an Edelux II front, and a B&M Secular on the rear. I also have a backup Secular battery. Both on the seat stays.

I also have a pair of Cateye Omni 3 lights on the tailfin. And a cateye reflex TL100 on the seat tube. The later is mostly covered in crap and has limited visibility...

The Omni 3 has a really long run time, uses normal AAA batteries, but doesn't have a built in reflector. The other three do.

Four hours run time, and a decent enough spread for totally unlit roads, is going to be expensive. I don't know what your budget is, but if you can stretch to it, a decent dynamo light is going to be very cost effective in the long term. I can highly recommend the setup I'm running, tho you may find you don't need all 5 rear lights...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #8 on: 15 May, 2021, 01:25:04 pm »
Four hours run time, and a decent enough spread for totally unlit roads, is going to be expensive.

Branded, bike-specific stuff, yes. But...

Generic 18650 torch, a couple of decent batteries and an appropriate mount and you'll likely have change from 30 notes.

« Reply #9 on: 16 May, 2021, 08:40:53 am »
For the rear I'd go with many cheapo silicon LED - I picked up one of these from Halfords for a fiver, in extremis, yesterday. You can get even cheaper from Ebay /Amazon /China/Decathlon.

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-accessories/bike-lights/halfords-super-slim-bike-light-set-441512.html

For the front I'd do a torch as per grams. QG's set up is much better, but overkill unless you're planning on regular night rides, as opposed to night riding.

« Reply #10 on: 16 May, 2021, 08:44:13 am »
Look at this for the front, currently out of stock but will be back in pretty soon (assuming they ship to France)

A

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/LIPXBBB10W/planet-x-burn-baby-burn-dual-led-10w-700-front-light

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #11 on: 16 May, 2021, 12:51:43 pm »
my recommendation would be exposure lights, they have a range of sizes and brightness. they work well, are reliable, waterproof, brackets are secure. the last time i counted fifteen of them on my bikes and spares box..

« Reply #12 on: 16 May, 2021, 05:57:17 pm »
Look at this for the front, currently out of stock but will be back in pretty soon (assuming they ship to France)

A

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/LIPXBBB10W/planet-x-burn-baby-burn-dual-led-10w-700-front-light

i have one of those. I wouldn't get another; the light unit isn't very good (IMO) but the battery pack is finding use with a cheap Magic-Shine-a-like from Ebay. I'm using something like this on the "shopping" bike:- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402804551299?hash=item5dc905ae83:g:rdwAAOSwuE9fzyAN

No doubt quality varies and I've, perhaps, been lucky but mine is several years old now and still works well.
IME, the key is to get good battery packs. Budget to get a stand alone pack from a reputable supplier and you should get a decent light for a fraction of the cost of a European brand.
For serious night riding I use a Fenix torch with a remote dipswitch so I can turn it off or down with my thumb. That means I don't need to move my hands from the brakes. Torches are much better value than "bike" lights.

For "be seen lights", I've got a couple of these:- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353365005134?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D287e3448560e403486435ac29526c796%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D133748429931%26itm%3D353365005134%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057%26brand%3DUnbranded&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A4977eba2-b665-11eb-b50b-f284791fa445%7Cparentrq%3A760c07ca1790a4d4e65caaf1ffff6a3c%7Ciid%3A1

I like them; they're quite visible, they run for what seems like ages and they've withstood Mancunian weather so far. I haven't had the opportunity to try them in Lancastrian weather. Yet. No doubt I'll get that opportunity if the Manchester-Blackpool FNRttC goes ahead this year.

Davef

Out of touch - lighting
« Reply #13 on: 16 May, 2021, 06:16:54 pm »
I am big fan of the cateye volt 800 though they seem to have sky rocketed in price recently. They are usb rechargeable but the cartridge battery unscrews so you can have a couple for long rides and/or replacing as they age.

Oh and you can use the spare battery to charge a flat garmin / phone.

« Reply #14 on: 16 May, 2021, 09:05:36 pm »

A

Options set for France brings the message "We are unable to deliver this item to France". It may be that this is because it's out of stock but more likely that they have stopped shipping to France or indeed to all Europe. Spa no longer ship to Europe, SJS have simply priced themselves out of the market, for all the others I can't speak. For France my shopping options are XXCycle, Rose, Deporvillage and Hollandbikeshop (I've never used Bike24 so would accept the condidence others have shown as my guide). there is also Le Cyclo...

« Reply #15 on: 17 May, 2021, 01:56:24 pm »
Thanks for all the replies

« Reply #16 on: 17 May, 2021, 02:18:18 pm »
I've used Acycles France on a coupl of occasions, as well as Bike24. Both good. Of cousre Decathlon may have something that fits the bill too.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #17 on: 17 May, 2021, 09:49:02 pm »
I've used Acycles France on a coupl of occasions, as well as Bike24. Both good. Of cousre Decathlon may have something that fits the bill too.

re Acycles -too late, it's shut up shop https://www.lessor42.fr/vente-en-ligne-acycles-liquidee-23238.html