Author Topic: There's a hole in my wall  (Read 1179 times)

There's a hole in my wall
« on: 12 May, 2021, 06:20:47 pm »
There is a hole in the end wall of our garage where the tumble drier outlet used to go. We no longer have said tumble drier so the hole is surplus to requirements.
We need to clear everything that it in front of it out of the way in a couple of weeks time and MrsC suggested we took the opportunity to fill the hole at the same time. Any suggestions. The garage is brick on the outside and block inside. The plastic bit is still in place on the outside and can probably stay so I don't need to do any brickwork.

Thanks
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: There's a hole in my wall
« Reply #1 on: 12 May, 2021, 07:15:02 pm »
Spray foam sealant - squirt it into the hole (make sure the outside is closed off) - spray slowly to control the flow - any excess just saw it off with a Japanese flush-cut saw (or a bread-knife!)

« Reply #2 on: 12 May, 2021, 07:21:57 pm »
Option to hire core drill buy a thermalite block and permanently install block insert internally and patch plaster over. Alternate quick and easy stuff some rock wool quilt in cavity and fix vent grill cover. Or as above and fix vent cover.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #3 on: 12 May, 2021, 11:47:00 pm »
You could also go the current trend and use instant noodles and epoxy resin. I'd probably just expandy foam.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #4 on: 13 May, 2021, 07:19:06 am »
In the days before squirt foam I cut a wooden plug to fill the hole and used silicone to hold it in place.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5 on: 13 May, 2021, 07:55:39 am »
I'd leave it in case a future owner wants to put a dryer there, so just block it with something removable.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #6 on: 13 May, 2021, 08:10:56 am »
I'd leave it in case a future owner wants to put a dryer there, so just block it with something removable.

Yep, put a vent cover on the inside and leave it.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #7 on: 13 May, 2021, 02:28:45 pm »

Yep, put a vent cover on the inside and leave it.
Leaves a draught but a wooden plug siliconed in to place doesn't and is easy to remove later.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

« Reply #8 on: 14 May, 2021, 04:25:32 pm »
Our garage has no underfloor DPC so I like a good through draught.   
Move Faster and Bake Things