Author Topic: Interesting or unusual planes?  (Read 387482 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Interesting or unusual planes?
« Reply #1875 on: 28 February, 2021, 11:05:48 pm »
^ bugger. I missed it.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #1876 on: 01 March, 2021, 03:48:39 pm »
A few lucky people today.
And down to some skilful piloting.

That wasn't the only Pratt & Whitney engine on a Boeing to lunch itself on Saturday - a cargo 747 suffered engine failure after taking off from Maastricht, dropping bits of turbine blades over Meerssen, injuring one person.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-boeing-777-japan/regulators-probe-engine-blow-outs-as-older-boeing-777s-suspended-idUSKBN2AL0PD
Check for terrorist organizations shorting Pratt & Whitney
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #1877 on: 02 March, 2021, 12:08:47 pm »
Yes, I've been in a Voyager on a refuelling flight. Much fun!

;)

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=58889.msg2190398#msg2190398

and this wasn't included in the original post:

and we did this before we went up to Aberdeen :)

I suspect that this pilot was trained by the French navy!

I spent a non negligible part of my national service doing what they were calling an "Hippodrome". Often it was between midnight and 5 am so that we would get in Brest on schedule for the admiral to admire our planning skills. I am not too sure how burning 300 litre of diesel per hour sailing in circle in the Bay of Douarnenez sharpens you planning skills, nevertheless sunrise on the Western approach of Brittany is quite magical, so dead dinosaurs were burnt for the admiral and my eyes!
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #1878 on: 15 April, 2021, 05:23:32 pm »
A flight of 3 Chinooks no less just flew over Scum Towers, heading up the Thames.
A single one is not unusual.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1879 on: 15 April, 2021, 07:07:12 pm »
All Boris's Chinooks in one flight...
It is simpler than it looks.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1880 on: 27 May, 2021, 10:44:31 pm »
Not so much the aircraft but the rotor/air/camera effect:

IMG_2587_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #1881 on: 31 May, 2021, 10:03:31 am »
Seen yesterday in darkest Essex:

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #1882 on: 31 May, 2021, 10:23:45 am »
Nice. Don't recognise the flight of 4 in your 1st snap, but  Chipmunk, SE5a,  Albatross (?) and a Miles, mebbe a Magister?
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1883 on: 31 May, 2021, 10:48:54 am »
Mr Google, he say “Druine D-31 Turbulent”.

No, nor me…
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

TimC

« Reply #1884 on: 31 May, 2021, 11:36:52 am »
The Druine Turbulent was a French design of homebuilt aircraft (using a VW engine) that became extremely popular in UK in the 1950s. The Tiger Club has a separate section just for this aeroplane.

The Lurker - 100%. The SE5a is a 7/8 scale replica, and the Albatross is a full-scale reproduction built (to the original specification, apart from some metals) in New Zealand quite a while ago.

« Reply #1885 on: 31 May, 2021, 12:13:23 pm »
The Lurker - 100%. The SE5a is a 7/8 scale replica, and the Albatross is a full-scale reproduction built (to the original specification, apart from some metals) in New Zealand quite a while ago.

7/8ths seems a bit pointless. Why not a full scale replica it wouldn't be much bigger.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

TimC

« Reply #1886 on: 31 May, 2021, 12:22:39 pm »

7/8ths seems a bit pointless. Why not a full scale replica it wouldn't be much bigger.

Weight, expense and volume wise, it would be - and would need a far bigger engine and prop, I suspect, and that may not have been possible. It may also have had something to do with the limitations of where it was built, but that's just conjecture.

ETA: it turns out that there are very good, well-proven plans available for building this as effectively a kit aircraft, capable of being powered by an 85hp VW engine. The fact that something like 150 of these have been built would mean that getting it certificated to fly would be a great deal easier than a one-off full-scale replica.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #1887 on: 12 June, 2021, 01:00:50 pm »
No. camera, so no pic, but 1st Hurricane for some little while about midday.  Stooging along heading south west(ish).
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1888 on: 23 June, 2021, 12:55:25 pm »

TimC

« Reply #1889 on: 23 June, 2021, 01:48:45 pm »
B17 (Sally B?) at RAF Abingdon (as was).

« Reply #1890 on: 23 June, 2021, 01:57:56 pm »

Worth noting that a couple of non-flyable replica B-17s were made for shooting the Tom Hanks/Steven Speilberg-produced Masters of the Air at Abingdon (think Band of Brothers, but with the 8th Air Force instead of the 101st Airborne Division).

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-articles/masters-of-the-air-flying-fortress.html
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1891 on: 23 June, 2021, 02:58:14 pm »

Worth noting that a couple of non-flyable replica B-17s were made for shooting the Tom Hanks/Steven Speilberg-produced Masters of the Air at Abingdon (think Band of Brothers, but with the 8th Air Force instead of the 101st Airborne Division).

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-articles/masters-of-the-air-flying-fortress.html

Yes, it's one of those at Dalton Barracks/R.A.F. Abingdon. They're filming there again tomorrow.

« Reply #1892 on: 24 June, 2021, 12:20:05 pm »
Flight radar showing AN225 due into Brize Norton in about 2 hours if anyone is riding past that way
Flight number UR-82060
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #1893 on: 24 June, 2021, 02:11:12 pm »
Flight radar showing AN225 due into Brize Norton in about 2 hours if anyone is riding past that way
Flight number UR-82060

That's interesting. UR-82060 is Antonov Airlines ie owned by Antonov. I wonder what a Russian transport is doing landing at an RAF base.
Strike that Antonov are Ukrainian now not Russian.

« Reply #1894 on: 24 June, 2021, 03:16:53 pm »
Flight number UR-82060

That's interesting. UR-82060 is Antonov Airlines ie owned by Antonov. I wonder what a Russian transport is doing landing at an RAF base.

Antonov has never been Russian - a Ukrainian would be most insulted were you to suggest that to them. The company/design bureau was established when Ukraine was a Soviet republic, within the USSR.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1895 on: 24 June, 2021, 03:57:23 pm »
Airbus which did a few passes over Furryboottoon this lunchtime.

IMG_8336_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

IMG_3694_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

IMG_3700_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

airbus_a400m by The Pingus, on Flickr

TimC

« Reply #1896 on: 24 June, 2021, 04:15:08 pm »
Airbus which did a few passes over Furryboottoon this lunchtime.

IMG_8336_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

It's rare to see one in the air. Most of them are grounded with gearbox problems.

There is only one AN225. It is uniquely capable in its weightlifting capacity, so it tends to get used for very unusual loads - such as perhaps a Challenger 2, or a complete Chinook.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #1897 on: 24 June, 2021, 05:56:28 pm »
I seem to live on Route 1 for the RAF tankers shuttling between Brize Norton and Scotland. Hear them most days around late morning.  I think they follow the (Welsh) Dee valley as they must be lost otherwise.

« Reply #1898 on: 25 June, 2021, 09:55:32 am »
We had the A400M doing low level flying here last year (or maybe the year before). Very low with the tail gate down. Made a change from Eurofighters and F15s.

« Reply #1899 on: 25 June, 2021, 10:05:34 am »
Flight number UR-82060

It was delivering some Pumas apparently. Oh and it broke stuff on departure:

https://youtu.be/BPu1Dj81-EE