Author Topic: Best medium soft pillows, no feathers or down  (Read 1480 times)

Best medium soft pillows, no feathers or down
« on: 05 December, 2023, 08:32:15 pm »
I'm shopping - and some family members have asked for new pillows.

Can't get to a store to check them.

Reviews on one brand, Dorma, was very variable about quality, so what is a reliable make?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Re: Best medium soft pillows, no feathers or down
« Reply #1 on: 05 December, 2023, 11:13:16 pm »
Why no feathers or down?

« Reply #2 on: 06 December, 2023, 08:29:15 am »
Why no feathers or down?
They trigger hayfever-like symptoms in my daughter
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #3 on: 06 December, 2023, 10:23:28 am »
Dunlopillow, but spendy.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: 06 December, 2023, 10:59:41 am »
Why no feathers or down?
I like down pillows, but when a partner didn't like the idea of sleeping on feathers we bought some John Lewis synthetic ones advertised as being like down and they are.  Not a huge sample size, fifty years of similar down pillows then these, I also like the pillows used by Premier Inn, which they now sell.

« Reply #5 on: 06 December, 2023, 11:19:40 am »
Why no feathers or down?
I like down pillows, but when a partner didn't like the idea of sleeping on feathers we bought some John Lewis synthetic ones advertised as being like down and they are.  Not a huge sample size, fifty years of similar down pillows then these, I also like the pillows used by Premier Inn, which they now sell.

I stayed in a place with John Lewis "Soft like down" pillows last year, and have been meaning to buy some ever since, because I really liked them. I think they must have been these: https://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-synthetic-soft-like-down-standard-pillow-soft-medium/p2823399

« Reply #6 on: 06 December, 2023, 12:20:35 pm »
Dunlopillow, but spendy.

I've used Dunlopillo for years - I would never describe them as medium, never mind soft - I like them precisely because they're firm.

There are some cheaper pillows with synthetic fibres in (as opposed to the one-piece Dunlopillo) but I have no reference supplier.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #7 on: 06 December, 2023, 05:46:56 pm »
Why no feathers or down?
My GP sent me this information on dust mite allergy.

https://patient.info/allergies-blood-immune/allergies/house-dust-mite-and-pet-allergy#nav-6

The section on prevention states using dust tight covers but also using feather pillows and duvets not synthetic. Apparently that is what the scientific evidence shows but common knowledge on this is very slow to catch up with the evidence based advice.

That's why I'm asked. It might not be the feather pillows that is causing her issues.

BTW I've used synthetic pillows and duvets for decades and my dust mite allergies never got better than it was when first diagnosed as a kid and switched from down bedding. Anecdata of one but the real studies suggest down is better than synthetic.

Still,  whatever works for your daughter.

« Reply #8 on: 06 December, 2023, 05:56:26 pm »
I've ordered some of the john lewis pillows, they look to fit the bill, thanks.

My daughter is triggered by animal hair, feathers, down, pollen among other things.

She's not allergic, it just triggers streaming swollen eyes and runny nose.

The bit you linked to was specific to dust mite allergies, and, as it says further up:

Many people with pet allergy do not need any tests as the cause of the allergy is clear. Symptoms are worse in the home where the pet is. Symptoms improve when out of the home, especially for longer periods, such as on holiday.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #9 on: 06 December, 2023, 06:13:51 pm »
I was just posting the information in case it's relevant. I thought it best to put the information out as it is kind of opposite to what most people "know" about dust mite allergies of the traditional type. It sounds like your daughter has issues with feathers and animal hair rather than to the faces of dust mites. My partner has issues with animal fur especially horse, cat and camel.

« Reply #10 on: 07 December, 2023, 11:39:17 am »
My wife has asthma and pets make her eyes run and sneeze.  We us the John Lewis No-Mite pillows and take them on holiday with us. 

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #11 on: 25 December, 2023, 08:33:42 pm »
I bought a Dunlopillo but it squeaks irritatingly on a metal bed frame.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #12 on: 26 December, 2023, 06:49:29 pm »
Does anyone remember those 'build your own' pillows that IKEA used to do? You chose your shape of foam core depending on your sleep position and then got an outer (hollowfill in my case) that you could unzip to remove the core from to wash.
I love mine but they don't make them anymore. Just wondered if anyone had stumbled across similar?
(I hate memory foam FTR).
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #13 on: 27 December, 2023, 09:32:14 pm »
I’ve got a tempur pillow, on the firm end of medium. But I’m pretty sure they did several firmnesses.

« Reply #14 on: 03 January, 2024, 09:32:30 am »
The john lewis pillows were very well received.

To me, they seemed to be super soft. MsC thought them just right, and liked the way they 'spring back'.
<i>Marmite slave</i>