Author Topic: Stopping smoking: when?  (Read 68487 times)

jogler

• mojo operandi
Re: Stopping smoking: when?
« Reply #225 on: 26 June, 2013, 06:49:36 pm »

This

And stop hanging about with smokers,

is IMO the best advice you can get.

I stopped going to the pub for a while* & moved into a no-smoking office** untill the cravings ceased.
If I felt the need for a fag I wondered into the smokers office,took a deep breath,thought " worra stinky habit" & retreated to the smoke-free zone

* I now do most of my drinking at home.No drink-driving issues :thumbsup:
** I subsequently moved into an office where I was the sole occupier.

Good luck with your attempt to exclude Nick O'teen from your social circle.

Chris N

« Reply #226 on: 26 June, 2013, 07:23:40 pm »
Finally going to give it a crack. Chucked the fags, lighter, etc. in a bin earlier. A bin outside Charing Cross Hospital, in fact.

Nicorette lozenges on stand-by.

:thumbsup:

« Reply #227 on: 26 June, 2013, 09:31:47 pm »
I still don't have any fags. You'd have to have known me for a long time to appreciate just how remarkable that is.

Point of info: the 4 mg nicorette mints are seriously strong, unpleasantly so. I really should have gone with the 2 mg.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #228 on: 26 June, 2013, 11:28:34 pm »
Don't know which size you're using, Sarge, but the little tic tac sized 4mg are good.  Just pop one up between your cheek and gum and you're good for the whole afternoon.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #229 on: 27 June, 2013, 08:36:28 am »
Good work Pluck, keep it up!
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #230 on: 27 June, 2013, 12:03:18 pm »
Don't know which size you're using, Sarge, but the little tic tac sized 4mg are good.  Just pop one up between your cheek and gum and you're good for the whole afternoon.

They are the 4 mg Nicorette Cools - like big tic-tacs. I've now learned not to suck them like mints, otherwise I get horrible oesophageal spasms and ferocious belching. They definitely do take away that indefinable "lack" that is presumably my body asking for nicotine. But it's the behavioural side of it that is the problem. Re-read this thread last night - lots of wisdom in it, including perceptive stuff from Tigerrr and Chris S among others.

Onwards. Begone, cigarette-y thoughts  :(

I chose yesterday as, for one reason and another, I'm having a lot of stressful stuff to deal with and I proceeded on the basis that it's not a bad idea to choose to stop at the worst possible time...

« Reply #231 on: 27 June, 2013, 12:35:13 pm »
As I stated earlier you will never regret stopping.

You will then hate the smell of other smokers' smoke :sick:
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #232 on: 27 June, 2013, 07:37:27 pm »
But it's the behavioural side of it that is the problem.

I got one of those plastic cigarettes into which is inserted a nicotene "pill".I dispensed with the "pill" but found the plastic ciggy,held in my fingers & passed to & fro like a real cancer stick,a tremendous physcological prop.In fact I'm convinced it was the thing which allowed me to succeed after very many previous failures.

I suppose you could use the barrel of a biro :-\

« Reply #233 on: 28 June, 2013, 10:37:50 pm »
Struggling a tad. Had a Jurek-style "crumble" earlier on: bought a pack of 10, smoked 2, felt like shit, didn't get any hit as I am already nicotine to the eyeballs due to the aforementioned Nicorette Cools, binned the rest. This evening, watching a bit of Glastonbury on TV has given me a sense of loss. Anyway, I still don't have any fags.

I can't find the post now, but somewhere in this thread someone pointed out how, since the banning of smoking in pubs etc., one now has to be inside to get fresh air, while outside is a fug of manky exhaled smoke. Really noticed that walking down Chiswick High Rd earlier.

« Reply #234 on: 01 July, 2013, 08:11:47 pm »
Has anyone using nicotine gum or lozenges noted any unintentional weight loss?

« Reply #235 on: 01 July, 2013, 08:21:46 pm »
Blather..... Anyway, I still don't have any fags...... more blather

Keep up the good work, my friend. :thumbsup:

« Reply #236 on: 01 July, 2013, 08:36:27 pm »
A lesson from a couple of days ago. I had a couple of very expensive cigarettes during the first few days: pack of 10 at £4.30 odd + box of matches, smoked one, threw the rest away. That's about a fiver a cig, so I thought the thing to do might be do have an Emergency Packet. Bad idea for someone with my mentality; a remarkable number of emergencies arose. Emergency Packet binned after about 3 cigarettes. Still, it served a purpose in a way: I just don't like smoking cigarettes any more.

Going OK now, bar the nicotine replacement lozenges. I was off work last week, so today was the first day at work (ever) without cigarettes. Very weird.

« Reply #237 on: 01 July, 2013, 09:24:01 pm »
Anyone packing the fags in has my highest regard as an ex smoker. Stick with it guys its worth it.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #238 on: 01 July, 2013, 11:08:11 pm »
A lesson from a couple of days ago. I had a couple of very expensive cigarettes during the first few days: pack of 10 at £4.30 odd + box of matches, smoked one, threw the rest away. That's about a fiver a cig, so I thought the thing to do might be do have an Emergency Packet. Bad idea for someone with my mentality; a remarkable number of emergencies arose. Emergency Packet binned after about 3 cigarettes. Still, it served a purpose in a way: I just don't like smoking cigarettes any more.

Going OK now, bar the nicotine replacement lozenges. I was off work last week, so today was the first day at work (ever) without cigarettes. Very weird.
Emergency pack = Fail. Avoid.
i sense you have learned this, yourself.
You don't need that 'luxury'.
Emergency pack is very different from Got-to-have-some-nicotine-right-now scenario - as I think you know.
G'luck.
JB

« Reply #239 on: 02 July, 2013, 03:36:34 am »
This thread is now two years old!

And with very little progress to stop smoking - need to be more committed. And yes, we all know it's very difficult to achieve.

But, if I did it, so can you :thumbsup:
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

« Reply #240 on: 02 July, 2013, 06:54:30 am »
My approach to 'having one for emergencies' was to give up with one left in the packet. Because there was only one, it was never enough of an emergency. I finally threw it away after about 5 years. I had had occasionally had one of someone else's when I was drinking in the first few years (after the first 6 months or so) but I didn't buy another packet. It helped that I used to smoke menthol cigarettes and my friends didn't mostly, so I never wanted to go and buy them after the odd drunken one. Good luck Sergeant Pluck.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #241 on: 02 July, 2013, 07:49:23 am »
This thread is now two years old!

And with very little progress to stop smoking
I'd disagree. Pluck had initially asked when was a good time. Now he's doing without, at least some of the time.
Seems a lot like progress.

'I can do it, so anyone can' has always sounded ridiculous to me. I can win track gold can I? But VP did it, so anyone can.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #242 on: 02 July, 2013, 07:58:40 am »
It seems like you've made huge progress. It wasn't until I hit this stage:

I just don't like smoking cigarettes any more.

that I was really ready to give up.

Sometimes you have to give up a few times and then fail before you are able to kick-it for good.
Owner of a languishing Langster

« Reply #243 on: 08 July, 2013, 10:03:27 pm »
Onwards. Not doing too badly considering that it's something I've punctuated my days with for the best part of 3 decades. Crazy really.

Some random observations / thoughts.

- A caveat to precede all of the following: I'm using nicotine lozenges.

- I'm not showing any tendency to eat more than I did before, so hopefully I won't get lardy.

- A lot of the time, when I think I need a cigarette, it's just a general neediness that I'm feeling. A drink of something or a bit of fruit seems to do just as well. It makes me think that a lot of the cigarettes I smoked, particularly those many cigarettes that made me think "why am I doing this, I don't even need a fag" as soon as I lit them, were smoked because I was a little bit tired, thirsty, hungry, or just needed to go for a short wander about.

- To repeat an earlier observation, having an emergency packet of fags is a very bad idea, for me at any rate.

- In some ways, not smoking is less stressful. Examples: 1. I don't have the conflict between what I do for a living (I'm a nurse, in a setting where smoking is a major contributor to the health problems of the people I deal with. Taking away that conflict is a big relief in many ways 2. Recently, almost all of the fags that I have smoked have been marred to some degree by thoughts along the lines of "this is a form of self-harm".

- I'm not noticing any immediate health benefits whatsoever - I've never been one to have a smoker's cough really, unless I've been on the rollies. IT would be helpful if I was noticing some positive change. As it is, I'm noticing things like the lack of ponginess of my clothes.

- Although I wan't a heavy smoker, I'm noticing a financial benefit. I think this is because I don't need to have that £5 odd in casg every day, so if I bring a packed lunch etc. I can go for much longer between visits to the cashpoint. I think that leads to less other spending.

- The biggest change to my daily habits has been at work. My day is no longer punctuated, and dare I say governed by, breaks that are based around fags to some extent.

- One of the big things that could trip me up here is the "but it's too late now, you've smoked so long you're probably going to get cancer anyway". OK, I know that it's not logical to add to the damage, but in weaker moments that's a dangerous way of thinking about it.

- I'm a bit worried about how much of this relative lack of difficulty in stopping (relative to how hard I thought it would be) is down to regularly sucking on nicotine lozenges.

So, onwards. It's very early days. Sometimes I do think "fuck it, I'm happy to take my chances, we all die of something" etc. But so far, so good.

« Reply #244 on: 08 July, 2013, 10:10:11 pm »
Onwards, Mate.
There's no other way....
JB

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #245 on: 08 July, 2013, 10:29:45 pm »
Years ago my then boss wanted to quit smoking so he made a bet with a couple of the guys in the team (me and one other), whereby if he made it to the end of the year without smoking we'd owe him a bottle of champagne each but if he smoked during the year he'd owe each of us a case of champagne.

There were a few team evenings out where he was trying to negotiate with us to "buy out" of his bet for a lesser sum (his original offer was three bottles, subsequently raised to six bottles) but we both rejected his offers and said if he lit up we'd hold him to the full twelve bottles each. He was obviously desperate for a fag but the thought of the price of two cases of champagne put him off. In the end he made it to the end of the year and collected his two bottles. I don't know if he stayed off the cigarettes, but it certainly kept him off them for several months.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #246 on: 08 July, 2013, 11:47:37 pm »
- I'm a bit worried about how much of this relative lack of difficulty in stopping (relative to how hard I thought it would be) is down to regularly sucking on nicotine lozenges.

Don't sell yourself short there Pluckski! The NRT stuff has around a 4 to 5% success rate so you're doing pretty bloody well despite the lozenges!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #247 on: 15 July, 2013, 01:18:05 pm »
I'm still carrying on carrying on.

I'm a right arsey miserable bastard these days. This might be nothing to do with stopping smoking though and may well have been the case for some decades :) I have a feeling it is slightly worse though.

Also not sleeping well at all, consistently waking up Far Too Fucking Early. That's definitely worse recently although, again, there could be other reasons for that.

I've switched to 2 mg nicotine tabs - although this time I went for nicorette microtabs, which are slightly bitter, chalky, and altogether quite unpleasant. The minty Kools were better.

Next up, when I can be arsed, is to make an accurate count of the number of tabs I'm using, with a view to reducing them. I'm actually not too sure if they are doing much for me one way or the other and I'm just taking them to reduce any urge to run to the nearest tobacconist.

« Reply #248 on: 15 July, 2013, 01:23:06 pm »
Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

« Reply #249 on: 15 July, 2013, 01:41:11 pm »
I'm still carrying on carrying on.
:thumbsup:

Everything else is details. This is the important thing.

Seriously:
I'm a right arsey miserable bastard these days.
Me too, and it's years since I last smoked.
See also Mr Smith, upthread. He's almost cheerful sometimes, these days.