Author Topic: Stopping smoking: when?  (Read 68111 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: Stopping smoking: when?
« Reply #250 on: 15 July, 2013, 05:26:42 pm »
I wouldn't worry about being arsey and a miserable bastard.  I'm that and I still smoke.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Chris S

« Reply #251 on: 15 July, 2013, 05:33:02 pm »
Arsey goes with the territory.

My young ones used to ask their mother's permission to talk to me, I was that scary.

They gave me a lot of slack over that time, to help me through it. If you have the help of those around you - that really helps, even if you only appreciate it much later. Probably when someone says something like "Fucking hell Pa, you were a miserable sod. And Scary. We thought you might kill us all in our beds, actually."

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #252 on: 15 July, 2013, 09:39:46 pm »
On the not sleeping front, when my colleague gave up earlier this year she used patches. She had to stop wearing one overnight because they were giving her really horrible dreams.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #253 on: 15 July, 2013, 11:23:50 pm »
Thanks for the ongoing encouragement, all :)

On the not sleeping front, when my colleague gave up earlier this year she used patches. She had to stop wearing one overnight because they were giving her really horrible dreams.

That may be pertinent - I have been wondering if I am taking the last of my nicotine tabs too close to bedtime. Mind you, tobacco before bedtime didn't seem to cause problems. Hopefully the sleep thing will settle the f* down soon as I am getting seriously sleep deprived. Going to bed earlier doesn't help as that just means I wake up even earlier.

« Reply #254 on: 16 July, 2013, 08:46:23 am »
Is there any way you could avoid addiction to the nicotine tabs by reducing their intake progressively? Myself, I turned to pipe smoking at first which became very enjoyable (no inhaling) and breaking that habit was relatively easy compared to the cigs. It also improves your health risks :thumbsup:
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

« Reply #255 on: 16 July, 2013, 11:16:15 am »
Is there any way you could avoid addiction to the nicotine tabs by reducing their intake progressively? Myself, I turned to pipe smoking at first which became very enjoyable (no inhaling) and breaking that habit was relatively easy compared to the cigs. It also improves your health risks :thumbsup:

Next up, when I can be arsed, is to make an accurate count of the number of tabs I'm using, with a view to reducing them.

« Reply #256 on: 15 August, 2013, 11:21:33 pm »
Struggling a little bit... This week I have, twice, bought a pack of 10, smoked one, and chucked / given the rest away. I didn't get any real pleasure out of it, didn't for a moment feel that this is something I want to do again, but it's worrying that at this stage I'm occasionally failing to resist the urge.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #257 on: 15 August, 2013, 11:59:19 pm »
It's a Big thing to do so a bit of a struggle shows you're still beating it!
I used the Vaping and after twenty odd years of 60 a day made a definite on the 21st October 2012.
Since then I've bought 3 packs of 24 cigarettes, a little over what I would normally have smoked in a day!
Remember the ones you Don't smoke rather than the odd few you do smoke.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #258 on: 16 August, 2013, 07:17:17 am »
Well, breaking the habit, which I tried many times during 50 years smoking the weed (about 25 each day) was a total failure for me. Even watching my 40 a day father die didn't shock me sufficiently enough to stop smoking.

I then read on the Internet that a gradual switch to pipe smoking was the easiest way by far (no inhaling) and less harmful. I  tried a few pleasant tobaccos and found one that suited me.

Whilst returning from some overseas Consultancy work I developed the biggest cold and flu ever. No, not caused by the pipe smoking, but my Clients offices which were freezing. After five days or so I felt a lot better, but then questioned myself, why smoke again? and yes that is what resulted. It was so easy to stop, I could hardly believe it myself.

Here ended  a lifetime, about 60 years in total, of smoking. I still keep my pipes and the partly filled pouch of tobacco to remind me what I achieved on that day ;D

Please try it, have a lousy cold and "flu and just stop for ever :P

« Reply #259 on: 16 August, 2013, 10:18:22 am »
That's interesting (what you say about pipe smoking). I'm trying to get my son to stop (he has damaged lungs). He won't try vaping, says it isn't the same.

He's into his 'cool'; I can see him getting into pipe smoking.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #260 on: 17 August, 2013, 12:13:55 am »
E-Pipe perhaps and vape that?  Just tempt him with the 1000s of flavours he can play with in there :thumbsup:
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #261 on: 17 August, 2013, 04:02:13 am »
I think people should try real tobacco smoking  not imitation stuff. The hardest part is making the change from the fags to the pipe which I achieved over 6 months or more. Gradually I found the pipe more enjoyable and the weeds were sent packing :thumbsup:

I never had any plans to stop the pipe smoking, it is enjoyable, tastes nice, very relaxing and may even help one to live longer.

« Reply #262 on: 17 August, 2013, 01:49:11 pm »
As non smoker, I don't understand how you dont' inhale when pipe smoking - how does that work?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #263 on: 17 August, 2013, 04:04:27 pm »
As non smoker, I don't understand how you dont' inhale when pipe smoking - how does that work?

When smoking I smoked a pipe as well as fags, but did not get enough of a kick from the pipe so inhaled that as well.

Nearly 40 years out of that game.

Geoff
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

« Reply #264 on: 17 August, 2013, 05:13:32 pm »
Pipe smoking for me was all about the taste. I made sure I didn't inhale and probably this helped me to kick the habit. The most important point for me was that I succeeded. I just hope my story will help others to stop also. When my father was diagnosed with chest cancer I  asked my big Sister to fly from the USA where she lives and help me in discussions with the Doctors. We were informed the cancer was pretty severe and they insisted on giving him chemotherapy, instead, we requested pain killers for him and to let him die naturally - the Doctors refused. When he returned after that horrible treatment, his hair had fallen out and his face no longer looked like our dear old dad. He died very soon afterwards. 
Since then I have also lost another good friend to chest cancer. His poison  was to smoke less than 20 Marlborough per day.

I hope my story helps

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #265 on: 19 August, 2013, 03:57:28 pm »
I never had any plans to stop the pipe smoking, it is enjoyable, tastes nice, very relaxing and may even help one to live longer.

[citation needed]

Yeah - and so does having someone repeatedly strike your face against a selection of solid objects  ::-)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #266 on: 19 August, 2013, 04:52:51 pm »
Try reading my Thread again to understand it properly ::-)
Try also, your favourite googling because it is a  known fact except by you apparently. But then your Googling conclusions are often quite wrong  including certain well known facts about how badly Thais treat elephants especially - total garbage as usual.

Also, You posted at 15.37 hours which suggests during your Office hours when most people are supposed to be working?

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #267 on: 20 August, 2013, 08:43:26 am »
I forgot to mark it but on 9 August I passed the milestone of a year smoke free.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #268 on: 20 August, 2013, 08:48:10 am »
I assumed that marbeaux meant that not inhaling isn't as bad as inhaling, and since he enjoyed the pipe smoking, he was able to give up the (more evil) ciggies.

It's something that possibly could help my son, since he seems to be incapable of stopping smoking (despite having serious health reasons for doing so).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #269 on: 20 August, 2013, 09:05:02 am »
Congratulations Reg! Well done.  :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Regulator

« Reply #270 on: 20 August, 2013, 10:25:01 am »
I assumed that marbeaux meant that not inhaling isn't as bad as inhaling, and since he enjoyed the pipe smoking, he was able to give up the (more evil) ciggies.

It's something that possibly could help my son, since he seems to be incapable of stopping smoking (despite having serious health reasons for doing so).

There is evidence of a significant increase in risk of oral cancers in pipe smokers.

I try not to be one of those obnoxious rabid anti-smokers, but giving up really is the only option to decrease risk of adverse effects.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #271 on: 20 August, 2013, 06:59:52 pm »
It is accepted that there may be some oral risk in pipe smoking but in my lifetime of knowing some committed pipe smokers, I have never heard of any one of them getting oral cancer. My B.I.L now over 85 years has more trouble with his eyes, my Uncle didn't die of oral cancer but also had a problem with his vision. I don't think pipe smoking causes vision problems? and have never seen any such reports.
Smoking a pipe of your favourite tobacco is indeed very enjoyable and relaxing especially if you ever feel stressed for some reason. If one can stop using the weeds, there is still the risk of breathing problems later on and possibly a cancer free ending.
Nothing in life is sure but you can, at least,  limit the risks a little.           

Regulator

« Reply #272 on: 20 August, 2013, 07:16:17 pm »
It is accepted that there may be some oral risk in pipe smoking but in my lifetime of knowing some committed pipe smokers, I have never heard of any one of them getting oral cancer. My B.I.L now over 85 years has more trouble with his eyes, my Uncle didn't die of oral cancer but also had a problem with his vision. I don't think pipe smoking causes vision problems? and have never seen any such reports.
Smoking a pipe of your favourite tobacco is indeed very enjoyable and relaxing especially if you ever feel stressed for some reason. If one can stop using the weeds, there is still the risk of breathing problems later on and possibly a cancer free ending.

You do come out with some shit at times.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #273 on: 20 August, 2013, 07:54:48 pm »
Well done Regulator, on completing a year!

I'm not doing too bad, though it's fair to say I do get more urges to grab a cig than I'd like at this point. Reassuringly, the few occasions when I've "slipped" have not been enjoyable.

Thanks for the thoughts, Marbeaux, but the pipe not a route I intend to go down for various reasons right now, mainly because I need to get away from the whole business of smoking anything

« Reply #274 on: 20 August, 2013, 07:56:50 pm »

You do come out with some shit at times.
;D

Well done Greg (as a giver-upper-and-not-had-one-since, myself - well, I have. But I hated myself for it)

@Plucky
Reassuringly, the few occasions when I've "slipped" have not been enjoyable.

Nowt other than good news, that.