Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 520753 times)

Re: MEMWNS Miscellany
« Reply #525 on: 24 February, 2016, 09:52:18 am »
Tomsk

If you are able to bring some cards tonight then we can be flexible about start times  :thumbsup:

Bobb has still to be persuaded.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #526 on: 24 February, 2016, 10:27:43 am »
My participation in The Shark has been looking a bit dodgy over the last couple of days (unforeseen diary clashes) but I think I might just have rescued the situation - fingers crossed.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #527 on: 24 February, 2016, 02:45:52 pm »
Tomsk

If you are able to bring some cards tonight then we can be flexible about start times  :thumbsup:

Bobb has still to be persuaded.

Ok will do  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #528 on: 24 February, 2016, 04:13:23 pm »
I have a couple of used but unwanted Spigen iPhone 5s cases that are now surplus to requirements.  So if you or anyone you know wants them they're yours FOC.  I can't be arsed to put them on eBay.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #529 on: 24 February, 2016, 04:18:45 pm »
I have a couple of used but unwanted Spigen iPhone 5s cases that are now surplus to requirements.  So if you or anyone you know wants them they're yours FOC.  I can't be arsed to put them on eBay.
Will they make my 5c in to a 5s?
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

« Reply #530 on: 24 February, 2016, 04:22:16 pm »
Will they make my 5c in to a 5s?

Almost certainly.  Do you want them?  They are cluttering up my desk!

« Reply #531 on: 25 February, 2016, 11:26:28 am »
Just looking at Grant's post on the non-technical thread about disc brakes freezing, what is everyone's experience of them so far ?

For my part, having had disc brakes on my mountain bike (where they are faultless but with far less mileage obviously) and on my Genesis (no end of trouble), I am still unconvinced by the disc brake revolution.  The Hustler and Bobb squeaked round DTDO last month every time they touched their brakes.  The power of a decent set of rim brakes doesn't seem that different to me and easier to maintain and replace.

If I ever find the budget for another bike I would probably go traditional but there's always the nagging doubt that you are missing out on something better.

« Reply #532 on: 25 February, 2016, 11:54:15 am »
I'll do anything to avoid Rim brakes now. I hate the noise of my rim grinding away in the winter months and the 50/50 on when the braking power will come through on wet or generally shite days.

Saying that I think I am slightly spoiled with the Hydraulic (even if not full Hydro) HyRd's and not really having to make any adjustments. Will be interested to see how the spyres are in comparison bu I suspect that fact they are dual piston will make for a not bad experience.

The rear doesn't really make any noise, the front does when it is wet but to be honest even with the Swiss Stop pads on the trek rim brakes I used to get some noise (mainly on dry days)

The fact that it takes very little effort to brake all the way through the range and it is so easy to modulate sells it for me over rim brakes every time.

Disc Brakes YES....Tubeless Not so Much!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #533 on: 26 February, 2016, 04:09:23 pm »
Is this Ride with GPS Cycling Club thingy of any use to us?

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #534 on: 26 February, 2016, 05:05:23 pm »
I cant see how much it costs?
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #535 on: 26 February, 2016, 05:14:25 pm »
I cant see how much it costs?

There are some videos which I haven't been able to watch yet as I'm in the office so need to look busy.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #536 on: 26 February, 2016, 05:32:31 pm »
I think they have always had a club version of the membership.... might be interesting option.
Regards,

Joergen

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #537 on: 26 February, 2016, 05:36:47 pm »
Its $250 per year  :o

It is basically a shared premium account, so the estimated time bit works based on at least 1 club ride being ridden and uploaded exceeded 16km.

Cant see if the Garmin write works through.
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #538 on: 26 February, 2016, 05:43:11 pm »
Well we won't be doing that then!!!

« Reply #539 on: 28 February, 2016, 09:48:05 am »
Bobb, the Hustler and I set off yesterday to ride the H4C Perm.

I lasted one kilometre before another major mechanical so I will have to leave it the other two to describe what looked like being a great day awheel.

The only good thing was it wasn't far back to the car. 

I felt doubly bad because I was the Hustler's lift home so chapeau to him for the unexpected extra mileage.

Fortunately, I had always said I wasn't doing RRTY.  There was a time yesterday when I thought about going out this morning and riding it just in case I changed my mind.  It was at that time that I remembered OD's wise words (in fact, in many ways, it was a bit like when the ghost of Obi Wan Kenobi advises a young Luke Skywalker  ::-)).  So, from now on I will be following the path to enlightenment that is OD's cycling strategy - still doing stuff like the Shark and the BCM for the challenge and still hoping for a fixed SR but otherwise concentrating on short sharp club rides and breakfast-based expeditions at the weekend and hopefully a bit of cycle camping to go with it.  The commitment of finding a 200k every month feels like a treadmill that I am happy to get off.  I now have even greater respect for those of you who have done RRTY however many times and those who are embarking on the quest for number one.

All in all the last couple of weeks has served as a bit of a reality check on where my limitations lie.  Hopefully the Shark and the BCM will not provide further evidence of those limitations  :facepalm:

I am now waiting for the rain to clear so I can get out with no gears for a trip to another seaside for a late breakfast (see when you aren't running to the audax clock you can wait for the weather  :thumbsup:).

Oscar's dad

« Reply #540 on: 28 February, 2016, 10:24:02 am »
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #541 on: 28 February, 2016, 10:25:44 am »
I can't believe I now have OD as my cycling guru  :o

At least he has the experience that comes with great age.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #542 on: 28 February, 2016, 10:26:21 am »
 :smug:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #543 on: 28 February, 2016, 12:20:18 pm »
I don't need a pub any more ...

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #544 on: 28 February, 2016, 01:07:17 pm »
Did it come with a frame mounted holder Steve? :)

Graeme I feel your pain of yesterday, I had 3 chain breaks in a row with one needing a new DI2 RD :( 

Mine was 11 speed, and I found it very sensitive to the position of the pin on the chain link, a fraction of a mm in or out and it didn't make the full contact and allowed one of the link plates to move free. 

The first break I have no idea what was the problem, something on the bike managed to jam in to the chain and that started the whole "chain reaction"  given that the quick link plate snapped in half I assumed that to be the culprit, but since the mess on with the pins, I am back on them with no major issues since, though I have found on 11spd its best to replace them ever 1000 miles (not had that prob with 10spd).

I have a large torque wrench and Shimano free hub socket if you want it torque setting to the 40Nm or what ever it should be.
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #545 on: 28 February, 2016, 05:16:43 pm »
Jibers, it's a hip flask so it mounts on me not the bike!!!

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #546 on: 28 February, 2016, 05:56:32 pm »
Jibers, it's a hip flask so it mounts on me not the bike!!!

I know that, but given the fascination with accessory for the Surly I was expecting a bike mount for it also :)
Regards,

Joergen

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #548 on: 28 February, 2016, 11:02:05 pm »
I rode a Sportive today!  :o

Only a Fiver though so as far as I was concerned it was as good as an Audax just no need to follow a route sheet. I chose the 47 miles with a time limit of 2 hours 45 for the challenge, there was a no time limit option but I figured since I had dug the trek out form the back of the bike rack, lubed the chain, CHECKED THE GEAR SHIFTING (Ted) and pumped up my unreasonable supple and fast tyres I owed it to the bike to 'have a go'

Managed to get round in 2 hours 32 so I was well chuffed with that. Good tea and cake at the end too.

The guy organising it was the Colchester fellow that Tom and I rode with from Villaines on the way back to Paris back in August so had a good little PBP catch up as well.

You can read about the day on the BLOG, if you have any interest! No pics I'm affraid, I was in a bit of a hurry  ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #549 on: 29 February, 2016, 05:50:24 am »
Good effort tippers, its good to do different stuff every now and then. I think Greg my spinning instructor rode the same event, he mentioned it last Wednesday.