Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 517615 times)

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: MEMWNS Miscellany
« Reply #625 on: 16 March, 2016, 03:26:07 pm »
Heads up, in stock and £21.49 for 700x28 wired

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/schwalbe-durano-plus-road-tyre-smartguard/rp-prod128939

With 10% off with code PAT10 £19.34 :)
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #626 on: 16 March, 2016, 04:14:02 pm »

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/schwalbe-durano-plus-road-tyre-smartguard/rp-prod128939

Why would I need those?  I've got a pair of Contis ready to go. I won't have any problems at all.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #627 on: 16 March, 2016, 04:15:03 pm »
I've been a fan of John Craven's for many a year - man and boy!

You must have been the only 25 year old watching Newsround.

Cheeky young scamp. I was watching Newsround in the 70s!

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #628 on: 16 March, 2016, 04:27:49 pm »
I've been a fan of John Craven's for many a year - man and boy!

You must have been the only 25 year old watching Newsround.

Cheeky young scamp. I was watching Newsround in the 70s!

You weren't 25 in the 70s then?
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

« Reply #629 on: 16 March, 2016, 04:44:29 pm »
You're a cheeky young scamp as well!

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #630 on: 16 March, 2016, 05:10:08 pm »

Why would I need those?  I've got a pair of Contis ready to go. I won't have any problems at all.
General broadcast for the benefit of them that were discussing the price and availability of the 700x28 while you were in the gym.....
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #631 on: 16 March, 2016, 05:11:36 pm »
 ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #632 on: 17 March, 2016, 07:54:22 am »
Last evening I set off on my lonesome from Spa Road roundabout having been given the Hello Kitty kitty by AndyC33 and Roxy.  Somehow I decided to turn left up Blue Mills Road and without realising went off route.  My Garmin finally worked out something was wrong and went crazy.  I couldn't remember where the route was supposed to go so decided to work my way round to the Prince of Wales and carry on from there.  The left turn off Maldon Road led me onto some excellent COR which I must go back to in daylight. 

Back on tarmac the Garmin soon indicated a right turn onto more COR but after a about half a mile I found myself in a farmyard with security lights popping on all over the place.  The Garmin was insistent we were in the right place but there was no obvious way out of the farmyard to I turned tail and pedaled off the way I had come.  By now it was 2040 hrs so I got the Garmin to route me straight to The Bell.

On arriving I found 'fandango's Giant rocket parked outside with jibers standing next to it rubbing his hip and coughing.  ted and Tomsk turned up later.  An evening of talking bollox, taking selfies and drinking beer commenced.  Very pleasant it was too.

« Reply #633 on: 17 March, 2016, 08:04:44 am »
 :thumbsup:

I was sat at home playing with Excel...... :(

« Reply #634 on: 17 March, 2016, 09:20:14 am »
OD is now taking his navigational freestyling to new levels.  While he was exercising his right to roam like some sort of demented rambler, I was faithfully tracking back along his published route hoping to see the lights of the Witham peloton.  When I was nearly at Goldhanger I realised that something was up and made a beeline for the Bell.  Perhaps I should show OD how to use a sextant, celestial navigation couldn't be any more unreliable for him than GPS.

The Bell turned out to be a really good pub, albeit with a limited (but good) range of beers.  We sampled Skinners Betty Stogs and Wibblers IPA.  Both were excellent and the jury was split on the Quaffers' Choice Award.  The landlord and landlady seemed genuinely pleased to see 5 sweaty blokes in cycling gear turn up and the locals seemed friendly too.  I did note that no children are allowed in the bar after 9pm so we may have to sneak DL in if we return.  There are precious few pubs left like the Bell and we ought to make an effort to keep revisiting them.

Jiber and I spent part of the evening looking bemused as the older generation reminisced about Muffin the Mule, Pinky and Perky and Andy Pandy.  Apparently these were all programmes they watched when tv arrived on the scene although Jiber thought they were things that people get up to in car parks in Essex.

I set off home into the wind with Des O'Connor who was on his carbon bike.  He proved extremely hard to keep up with.  The fact that I was also on my carbon bike made this all the more worrying (although he is substantially quicker than I am).  What was most annoying is that I am quicker on fixed at the moment, is that even a thing ?  There is clearly something amiss with my legs or the bike (or both).
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #635 on: 17 March, 2016, 12:12:52 pm »
Browsing the bay last night and came across these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carradice-Post-Office-Panniers-red-Factory-Seconds-/182055456756?hash=item2a6359cff4:g:j8oAAOSwwpdW5~gI

One for OD and Penelope. All he needs now is a red polo shirt and grey school style short trousers for the full GPO experience!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #636 on: 17 March, 2016, 12:17:02 pm »
Browsing the bay last night and came across these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carradice-Post-Office-Panniers-red-Factory-Seconds-/182055456756?hash=item2a6359cff4:g:j8oAAOSwwpdW5~gI

One for OD and Penelope. All he needs now is a red polo shirt and grey school style short trousers for the full GPO experience!

They are very smart indeed and had I not got a spare pair of Ortliebs which fit Penelope perfectly I'd certainly be willing to part with 50 quid!  Thanks for the tip off though  :-*

« Reply #637 on: 17 March, 2016, 12:31:31 pm »
Oooh, nice find Christophe  :thumbsup:

I think they might clash with the Elephant bike colour schemes but I will be looking to see if Carradice produce anything similar.

« Reply #638 on: 17 March, 2016, 12:40:40 pm »

I think they might clash with the Elephant bike colour schemes but I will be looking to see if Carradice produce anything similar.

Sorry bit out of the loop. You mean to say there are at least  two of you on the loose riding around on Pashley Prontos?!?!? :o

Oscar's dad

« Reply #639 on: 17 March, 2016, 12:45:17 pm »

Sorry bit out of the loop. You mean to say there are at least  two of you on the loose riding around on Pashley Prontos?!?!? :o

Only I have a Pronto.  ted and rr OTP have Elephant Bikes, i.e. refurbed Pashley Mailstars.  Where have you been???  There seems to be so much you have missed  :o

« Reply #640 on: 17 March, 2016, 12:48:33 pm »
I bought two of them from the Elephant Bike people. 

They are in fairly girlie colours, which is alright because they are for my younger daughters to ride.

At some point in the not too distant future we will find a suitable venue for a Pashley Pronto ride out on a Wednesday night and I will find a volunteer (DL in fact) to ride the other one.

There is a bit of a fleet of them on Mersea as someone else managed to get hold of some of the Mailstars that didn't go to Elephant.  One other person has also been inspired into buying an Elephant Bike. 

Sometimes OD can be a force for good.

Did I really just type that  :facepalm:

« Reply #641 on: 17 March, 2016, 12:49:35 pm »

Only I have a Pronto.  ted and rr OTP have Elephant Bikes, i.e. refurbed Pashley Mailstars.  Where have you been???  There seems to be so much you have missed  :o

Is rr based in Chelmsford ? I saw a chap riding one in Springfield when I was cycling home a couple of weeks ago.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #642 on: 17 March, 2016, 12:51:56 pm »

Is rr based in Chelmsford ? I saw a chap riding one in Springfield when I was cycling home a couple of weeks ago.

Yes I believe so, he used to live in Witham, near to Oaky in fact.

Sometimes OD can be a force for good.

Did I really just type that  :facepalm:

;D

« Reply #643 on: 17 March, 2016, 01:06:31 pm »

Yes I believe so, he used to live in Witham, near to Oaky in fact.

I don't know anyone called Oaky.

If rr had lived near Tokyo Sex(pest) for instance then I could easily understand why he would have moved to Chelmsford though.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #644 on: 17 March, 2016, 01:39:33 pm »
 >:(

« Reply #645 on: 17 March, 2016, 01:43:46 pm »
But you look so happy in your avatar.

I am sure it is great living near a cartoon narwhal type creature who enjoys nocturnal cycling outings.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #646 on: 17 March, 2016, 01:48:18 pm »
But you look so happy in your avatar.

I am sure it is great living near a cartoon narwhal type creature who enjoys nocturnal cycling outings.

Not to mention meeting men on the internet!

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #647 on: 17 March, 2016, 09:13:02 pm »
Was briefly considering becoming Oaky O'Sexw(h)ale for one day only, complete with shamrock background

Oscar's dad

« Reply #648 on: 18 March, 2016, 06:04:15 am »
I would have appreciated that given I'm an eighth Irish.

« Reply #649 on: 19 March, 2016, 09:38:10 am »
Just a quick heads up.( probably one for OD as he's a fan). The A12 cycle path currently closed between Kelvedon and Witham as its being relaid :o
Used it last night and had to circumnavigate several mini diggers and workmen. Drove past this morning and doesn't look passable in places.