Author Topic: ACME Anvil Winter Series  (Read 119013 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: ACME Anvil Winter Series
« Reply #300 on: 01 December, 2018, 08:22:58 am »
Me and Penelope have just delivered the ACME Shop to ‘spoons so bring some money!

« Reply #301 on: 01 December, 2018, 07:40:03 pm »
I think it's not going to be as bad as some might think, forecast was for rain easing off by 10AM in the area of the ride....  so maybe an hour of light rain at the start.
It didn't (ease off). Well not till into the afternoon anyway. And a few times, it eased off then started again.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #302 on: 01 December, 2018, 10:07:47 pm »
Yep - although if you were out early enough - there was a sunrise visible!
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #303 on: 02 December, 2018, 01:01:23 am »
I failed to DNS after my friend cancelled the other thing we were going to do. I decided to do the whole thing in fixed, which worked out pretty well.

After a wet foot experience last weekend I decided to bring my spare shoes and socks on the ride and change into them halfway, which if the weather forecast had held up would have been long after the rain stopped. Alas it was still wet on leaving the café. I gambled on changing at Thaxted because it seemed pretty dry, but not long after the drizzle came again and didn't let up until the finish.

Anyway, I liked the route, and the café was very efficient. Thanks all who organised.

« Reply #304 on: 02 December, 2018, 12:28:23 pm »
Forecast for Saturday is looking 'interesting': damp, very mild, breezy.

"Damp" was perhaps understating it.  Still, another well organised and enjoyable ACME event.  Thanks to all involved.

My first ECE - assuming I get validated.

Takeaway: Don't assume that because something is dignified by the name "Road" the conditions will be any better than those found in the Somme.

« Reply #305 on: 02 December, 2018, 01:40:16 pm »
It were no picnic on the Tewkesbury 200. I think I remembered why I hadn't done an Audax from there for nearly three years: loadsa grotty crumbly down and up lanes made worse by all the crap getting washed onto them. My bike and bottom half looked a right mess when I arrived back at the 'spoons. Luckily, when I left after a well deserved pint, it was chucking it down again, which cleaned me and the bike up a bit!

Now do I do the Kelvedon Oyster again next month, or head west? If I'm reduced to three gears again, Essex it is!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #306 on: 02 December, 2018, 01:47:30 pm »
I think I enjoyed that — ask me a in few days.  A good turnout, plenty of people to ride with.

Started cool, but dry in Cambridge, turned to a bit damp around Braintree on the ride down.  The start was full-wet, not drying out until the final half hour.  The ride home was dry until the final hour or so when the heavens opened and it was proper-wet.

I was well down on power yesterday, for some reason — maybe I've a cold.  Not that I'm that powerful usually, but I had to walk a few short, sharp climbs that normally I can ride over  :facepalm:

That said, I had 90-odd km in the legs before the start, awarded myself a bonus 10km on the ride, and rode another 110km home again, totally a nice round 200 miles  :thumbsup:

Strava report + photos here.

It was good to chat with Soupy and Mrs Tomsk at the finish.

Thanks Tom + helpers for another fine day a-wheel  :thumbsup:
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #307 on: 02 December, 2018, 03:19:14 pm »
Was a great ride, can't say the same about the weather.

I did have a minor grumble at the Cafe, although the info sheet did suggest the 'full menu' wouldn't be available, I didn't expect that the only choice would be a bacon roll or sausage roll. Not everyone can/does eat meat, and although I managed to persuade (and thank them for) some beans on toast for full price, I was quite surprised a veggie option wasn't available. The cafe suggested that I should have informed the organiser who would have let them know, but that seems quite overkill?   

« Reply #308 on: 02 December, 2018, 03:42:09 pm »

I was well down on power yesterday, for some reason — maybe I've a cold.  Not that I'm that powerful usually, but I had to walk a few short, sharp climbs that normally I can ride over  :facepalm:

Sorry I must have missed you at the start, I got bundled into the 0930 start and was cold and wet enough to just think 'bugger it' and started. I too felt down on power yesterday, wasn't great for it!

« Reply #309 on: 02 December, 2018, 09:30:29 pm »
My trains got me to the start as the 9.30 group was setting off. A couple of us watched as this endless stream of bikes emerged from the pub garden. Just as I was beginning to wonder whether they were sneaking back through the pub to come round again, the end of the line appeared.

I decided to grab my card and go after them, making the most of the light, rather than wait for the 10am start. Although it was wet, I was snug in my waterproof, so I rather enjoyed the whole ride. I started to pick up one or two riders in the early miles, although the bulk of the bunch I didn't see again except maybe at lunch.

Approaching High Easter, I made a couple of minor navigational errors, partly because it was hard to read my rain-covered GPS and route sheet with my rain-covered glasses. I spotted the problems quickly, but I think one or two probably went back past me while I was off route. When I turned round to retrace, I discovered that it was raining harder than I had realised.

I had misread the instructions as saying that the return leg was longer than the outward, and that made the return quicker than I had anticipated. In addition, I kept expecting to turn into a strong headwind, but that never quite seemed to happen.

All in all it was a good day out, with roads remarkably quiet except in a few obvious places :thumbsup: And then the trains were good going back - only a couple of minutes' wait at each of Witham and KX - so I made it home in record time :thumbsup:

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #310 on: 03 December, 2018, 07:51:16 pm »
Results uploaded, paperwork going off tomorrow.

Final tally:
127 entries.
85 validated brevets, including 4 helpers two weeks ago.
No mishaps on the event itself, but one minor 'ouchy' for someone on the ride in.

84 starters on Saturday, with just 3 failing to finish - one totally AWOL, but two did let me know they had been rescued following multiple visitations from the Essex P#nct+r£ Fairy. I heard one rider received help, spare tubes etc from other riders to try and keep him on the road, so a big thanks to them for that.

Several 200km rides with an Extended Calendar Event brevet, one on a 300 - impressive for this dark time of year, 3 weeks before the Winter Solstice and such a very wet day too - chapeau!

Thank you to all my helpers on Saturday: BFC, Deano_44, Soupy and Mrs Tomsk, also to Oscar's Dad for lugging in Huggy's ACME kit for the shop and to Huggy for the Winter Series badges and passing on the car park donations to the Labour Club.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #311 on: 09 December, 2018, 07:01:29 pm »
Fun or Fantasy?

20 mins on the turbo today on a road bike, pelvis comfortable enough, lower back not so much.   The Kelvedon Oyster will be 11 weeks on from the injury, reasonable target or absolute lunacy? 

Clearly I'll not be aiming for any particular time.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #312 on: 11 December, 2018, 05:04:39 pm »
ElyDave  Knights Templar was 14 weeks after my heart attack, just have to try sometimes and surprise ourselves. My head has often talked me out of it, less so now as I get stronger.

ElyDave

« Reply #313 on: 11 December, 2018, 06:05:24 pm »
I think the pelvis will be fine, it's more a question of residual fitness and managing the back pain I think. 

I'll work up over the next 4 weeks though, have an opportunity for 50 on 31st Dec.   

I do have history in this sort of thing, I ran a 24mile fell race and was then diagnosed Type 1 diabetic 3 days later, my first question was "can I still do an ultra marathon in 6 weeks?" (that's not meant to sound pompous, just a statement of fact and my possible level of idiocy).

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #314 on: 17 December, 2018, 01:37:29 pm »
I've finally started my Christmas shopping today - mudguards for the bike and an entry to the Kelvedon Oyster for me  :thumbsup:
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #315 on: 31 December, 2018, 10:36:44 am »
It's Hogmanay, so it's almost time for the jewel in the crown of the ACME Anvil Winter Series - the Kelvedon Oyster.

To mark the occasion, Greater Anglia have once again promised no service alterations on the London - Norwich line that day.  Judging by the first couple of events this season, most of you will be ECEing anyway but I thought I'd share the good news.

There is more good news; this year as well as a Native Oyster at Mersea Island, there will also be a hot drink.  Collect your ACME currency with your brevet card to redeem your snack and beverage.

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #316 on: 31 December, 2018, 05:10:15 pm »
As the jewel in the crown, will the doors in Kelvedon open for the start earlier in 2019?

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #317 on: 03 January, 2019, 02:31:37 pm »
And are you accepting entries on the line?
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #318 on: 03 January, 2019, 05:17:19 pm »
Two Witham residents on Pointless BBC 1 now.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

ElyDave

« Reply #319 on: 04 January, 2019, 07:30:58 am »
Going to go out for 2 hours/50km tomorrow, if I can't do that in comfort because of the back, then there's no point entering a 4-ish hour event.

ElyDave

« Reply #320 on: 07 January, 2019, 02:14:52 pm »
So, 1hr 45 / 45km, yes physically OK to do that, but back and neck are screaming at me today.  I think I could do it, but it's not worth the after effects, Feb seems more realistic for the Knights Templar I think

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #321 on: 07 January, 2019, 02:22:24 pm »
For anyone trying to achieve a "prize" for the Maldon and Dengie CAMRA Real Ale Trail 2019 read on....

The Kelveden Oyster Route takes us past or near a number of pubs on the trail.

Ye Olde Albion @ Rowhedge is on the route.
The Kings Head @ Tollesbury is a few extra yards into Tollesbury.
The Queens Head @ Tolleshunt D'Arcy is a few yards into off route.
Maltsters Arms @ Heybridge is a small detour into Heybridge.

Chequers @ Goldhanger is a detour through Goldhanger or
Swan @ Little Totham is a detour into Little Totham

The prize is free beer tokens at the Maldon beer festival for anyone the gets 20 or more stamps on a card.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #322 on: 07 January, 2019, 02:51:53 pm »
For anyone trying to achieve a "prize" for the Maldon and Dengie CAMRA Real Ale Trail 2019 read on....

The Kelveden Oyster Route takes us past or near a number of pubs on the trail.

Ye Olde Albion @ Rowhedge is on the route.
The Kings Head @ Tollesbury is a few extra yards into Tollesbury.
The Queens Head @ Tolleshunt D'Arcy is a few yards into off route.
Maltsters Arms @ Heybridge is a small detour into Heybridge.

Chequers @ Goldhanger is a detour through Goldhanger or
Swan @ Little Totham is a detour into Little Totham

The prize is free beer tokens at the Maldon beer festival for anyone the gets 20 or more stamps on a card.

Shame on you, trying to turn an innocent audax into a pub crawl. Such behaviour cannot be condoned #goodeffort

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #323 on: 07 January, 2019, 03:08:29 pm »
How busy is the road through Goldhanger? I might go that way for Veloviewer reasons :)
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #324 on: 07 January, 2019, 03:46:54 pm »
How busy is the road through Goldhanger? I might go that way for Veloviewer reasons :)

As a single rider or small group Tolleshunt D'Arcy through Goldhanger is OK. The road is effectively "the coast road", and some of the drivers are not sensible about overtaking on blind bends - no different to any other roads, but this road has some long sequences of bends. Summer months are a lot worse with static caravan owners from London in a hurry.

I ride it regularly, including in rush hour on the way home, as a well lit solo rider. Only been taken off by a truck once on a weekday middle of day ride (a few years ago).