Author Topic: MGM Timber lorry driver behaves like a complete moron  (Read 9412 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: MGM Timber lorry driver behaves like a complete moron
« Reply #25 on: 13 June, 2010, 12:56:41 am »
I posted about this on a non-cycling forum and one of the responses was "I know it's besides the point, but was it not possible to let the driver set off before you at either sets of traffic lights?"  ::-)

And I've just got in from being out with friends - pizza and SATC2. I don't know which was worse. I told them about yesterday's incident and one of them took that as her cue to start banging on about "militant cyclists cycling 2 abreast which makes it so difficult to overtake them because you have to go onto the other side of the road and there might be something coming and they filter through queues and they think they own the roads..." I've never been so close to tipping someone's dinner over their head and walking out. And the film was awful.

My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #26 on: 13 June, 2010, 09:33:35 am »
I posted about this on a non-cycling forum and one of the responses was "I know it's besides the point, but was it not possible to let the driver set off before you at either sets of traffic lights?"  ::-)

And I've just got in from being out with friends - pizza and SATC2. I don't know which was worse. I told them about yesterday's incident and one of them took that as her cue to start banging on about "militant cyclists cycling 2 abreast which makes it so difficult to overtake them because you have to go onto the other side of the road and there might be something coming and they filter through queues and they think they own the roads..." I've never been so close to tipping someone's dinner over their head and walking out. And the film was awful.

Have a couple of these :-* :-* :-*

That sounds rough.  :(
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #27 on: 13 June, 2010, 12:24:33 pm »
Might sound a bit antagonistic (not meant to be) but are you sure that's productive?

Imagine the conversation - "you were videoed by a cyclist using a phone" sure, it might get them to stop using a phone in their van, but not necessarily in their cars, and will probably antagonise them to cyclists. Regardless of the potential danger of using a phone, I'd rather have that than actual danger resulting from bad, inconsiderate or downright dangerous driving.

I'd disagree with that - the more any driver is made to think about their actions, the better.  The last company employee I spotted seeing on the phone, worked for Beds Fire & Rescue Service in their education team.  After sending off a complaint letter, I got a very apologetic reply back confirming that the person had been reprimanded and the entire team had been sent on a training course highlighting the errors of mobile phone use whilst driving. 

Whilst I've no doubt it annoyed the woman being caught out, the more it happens, the better, and if she moans about it to her friends, it might just make some of them think about the consequences as well.

As a suggestion, if you want to have an impact on phone use you could stand by the roadside at almost any busy junction, inside half an hour you will have videoed probably 15 (?) commercial drivers using phones and the complaint would then come from a pedestrian. I've seriously thought of doing this.

Good point, although when I do complain about people, I tend not to state if I was walking, driving or cycling as it's not really relevant.  Standing and videoing drivers on their phones is something I've thought about doing as well.  With a captive audience in the London rush hour, you'd get quite a few.  Perhaps we ought to think about a regular stakeout.  :demon:

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #28 on: 13 June, 2010, 12:38:16 pm »
You know, if you post a complaint on several internet fora, eventually it becomes googleable. And if I was to post a link to where I posted about it on a cycling forum -  like this - that thread would creep up the google listings so anyone googling MGM Timber would find my complaint very easily. That would be mean though.

Hmm... It's only 10th at the moment.  :)
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #29 on: 13 June, 2010, 12:39:49 pm »
This 'two abreast' obsession puzzles me greatly.  When I'm out and about in the van, overtaking a brace of riders two abreast is actually easier than if they were singled up........oh but wait, I only overtake, properly when it is safe to do so rather than squeezing by without crossing the centre line.

« Reply #30 on: 13 June, 2010, 12:45:53 pm »
I'd disagree with that - the more any driver is made to think about their actions, the better. 

But you are assuming that a reprimand on their driving will make them think about their actions. I doubt it. The one thing you cannot safely question is the competence of people's driving (or cycling, often). You see, it's always OTHER people that have accidents. I can quite safely talk on the phone etc etc because I am a good driver. I must be a good driver because I can talk on the phone and drive.

These people know it is illegal. They do not seriously think that they are a danger to themselves and other road users and nothing you say, or their bosses say, will make a difference. It's the same with hard core drink drive. Long term, attitudes can be changed and it can be made unacceptable to use a phone while driving, but I suspect that your view of potential benefit from a quiet word at work is overestimated.

As far as being identified as a cyclist goes, I think it is only right that you should identify yourself if complaining and provide evidence if you have it

Whilst I've no doubt it annoyed the woman being caught out, the more it happens, the better, and if she moans about it to her friends, it might just make some of them think about the consequences as well.
Mind the flying pigs.

« Reply #31 on: 13 June, 2010, 12:46:54 pm »

Oh man, you have my sympathy - I've had exactly that with friends. There are a lot of cyclist-haters lurking out there.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #32 on: 13 June, 2010, 01:44:10 pm »
At least with friends you can tell them they're wrong.  I had this recently from a guy I'm doing some legal training with - he's car free himself, spends an arm and a leg on public transport, and is absolutely convinced that cycling is inherently dangerous and that all cyclists are lawbreakers. 

I was smiling and trying to answer politely, but my internal Tourettes was playing up something rotten.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #33 on: 13 June, 2010, 01:51:36 pm »
I'm just in the middle of a big facebook rant about it and can't decide whether or not to tag the offending friends in it.

This 'two abreast' obsession puzzles me greatly.  When I'm out and about in the van, overtaking a brace of riders two abreast is actually easier than if they were singled up........oh but wait, I only overtake, properly when it is safe to do so rather than sqeezing by without crossing the centre line.
Ah, but what I hadn't realised is that apparently it's a massive inconvenience to have to cross to the other side of the road and back again, especially if it means waiting till it's safe. Poor suffering motorists.

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
« Reply #34 on: 13 June, 2010, 02:09:36 pm »
A related thing baffles me - why, on a straight, clear standard width road, would anyone pass a bike too close in a car? They don't want to expend the energy required to turn a steering wheel?

Then there's the other kind -

Q: 'why did you pass me so close back there?"
A: 'because there was a car coming the other way'

::-)

BTW, what happened to the 'Give Cyclists Ropm' campaign? I have one of their bumper stickers and would like more, but the website seems dead.
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

« Reply #35 on: 13 June, 2010, 02:20:37 pm »
BTW, what happened to the 'Give Cyclists Ropm' campaign? I have one of their bumper stickers and would like more, but the website seems dead.

Padbeat from round these parts could tell you - he ran it. Lack of time, I would guess.

« Reply #36 on: 13 June, 2010, 07:08:28 pm »
Well said Adam, I totally agree with you.

Ham says drivers won't change their behaviour.  Oh yes they will, for example in a company car.  One grass-up and reprimand might do a little, several in a row and then losing your job will do a whole lot more.  Next job I doubt most offenders will use the phone again.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #37 on: 13 June, 2010, 08:26:37 pm »

Good point, although when I do complain about people, I tend not to state if I was walking, driving or cycling as it's not really relevant.  Standing and videoing drivers on their phones is something I've thought about doing as well.  With a captive audience in the London rush hour, you'd get quite a few.  Perhaps we ought to think about a regular stakeout.  :demon:

This traffic island between two toucan crossings - on my morning school run - would be a good place. About every 30th  driver London bought is using a handheld mobile.

<Google Maps
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #38 on: 13 June, 2010, 08:51:12 pm »

Padbeat from round these parts could tell you - he ran it. Lack of time, I would guess.

Maybe the CTC should step up and take on the campaign?
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #39 on: 13 June, 2010, 09:38:51 pm »
I'd disagree with that - the more any driver is made to think about their actions, the better. 

But you are assuming that a reprimand on their driving will make them think about their actions. I doubt it. The one thing you cannot safely question is the competence of people's driving (or cycling, often). You see, it's always OTHER people that have accidents. I can quite safely talk on the phone etc etc because I am a good driver. I must be a good driver because I can talk on the phone and drive.

These people know it is illegal. They do not seriously think that they are a danger to themselves and other road users and nothing you say, or their bosses say, will make a difference. It's the same with hard core drink drive. Long term, attitudes can be changed and it can be made unacceptable to use a phone while driving, but I suspect that your view of potential benefit from a quiet word at work is overestimated.

As far as being identified as a cyclist goes, I think it is only right that you should identify yourself if complaining and provide evidence if you have it

I never do in the first instance. It is much more fun to wait until they deny it and then send in the video

I have had a couple of occasions where  the fact that they have been lied to and treated as stupid hacks the managers off rather then the driving offence.

Best one yet was a left hook where I complained to the licensing office.

The Taxi driver claimed I had been riding erratically, then I had undertaken on the inside, and placed myself in th dangerous position.

They were less than impressed when the video showed him cutting across form the outside lane, narrowly missing me and then takingthe corner on the wrong side of the road!

He was cautioned and had his license docked. 

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #40 on: 14 June, 2010, 06:54:25 am »
Superb.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #41 on: 14 June, 2010, 08:40:39 am »
I now have a copy of the Highway Code in my pocket, with all the pages relating to cyclists or how to drive near cyclists folded over, ready for dishing out to errant cockwombles.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #42 on: 14 June, 2010, 09:24:09 am »
You will need more than one copy. :(
Getting there...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #43 on: 14 June, 2010, 11:51:45 am »
I was thinking that I could make my fortune by designing and selling something, like a bottle cage bracket for the frame, but holding a perspex box just big enough to hold 10 copies of the Highway Code (relevant pages folded over and highlighted) for posting through motorists' windows.

Anyway, Peter Gourley from MGM Timber just phoned. He is a cyclist, very apologetic. Driver was not usual driver, was agency driver - and here's the good bit - they're not using that as an excuse, they're saying he'd just been through a full induction so there's absolutely no excuse for how he behaved. He has spoken to the agency and asked them to get back to him within 24 hours, and suggested that the driver be kept off the roads until this is investigated and dealt with. He'll get back to me tomorrow.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #44 on: 14 June, 2010, 11:53:12 am »
That sounds very good - shame it takes a cyclist to be on the inside to get a quality result, but hey, it's still good.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #45 on: 14 June, 2010, 12:00:23 pm »
Awesome!  *Applause* for Kirst and for MGM Timbers!!
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #46 on: 14 June, 2010, 12:11:08 pm »

+1
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

« Reply #47 on: 14 June, 2010, 12:46:51 pm »

This traffic island between two toucan crossings - on my morning school run - would be a good place. About every 30th  driver London bought is using a handheld mobile.

I used to walk from Paddington to South Kensington to get to work, there is one crossing near the north side of the park where more often than not someone would drive through after the "green man" had lit up - not just pushing an amber. I made it part of my morning routine to flick them the Vs, which was satisfying at least.

Sounds like a good response to the OP.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #48 on: 14 June, 2010, 01:12:15 pm »
I was thinking that I could make my fortune by designing and selling something, like a bottle cage bracket for the frame, but holding a perspex box just big enough to hold 10 copies of the Highway Code (relevant pages folded over and highlighted) for posting through motorists' windows.

You may wish to consider an optional staple-gun holder ...

Anyway, Peter Gourley from MGM Timber just phoned. He is a cyclist, very apologetic. Driver was not usual driver, was agency driver - and here's the good bit - they're not using that as an excuse, they're saying he'd just been through a full induction so there's absolutely no excuse for how he behaved. He has spoken to the agency and asked them to get back to him within 24 hours, and suggested that the driver be kept off the roads until this is investigated and dealt with. He'll get back to me tomorrow.

Well said, that chap(ess) ..

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #49 on: 14 June, 2010, 01:23:35 pm »
Excellent - good result following from a high quality initial complaint.