Author Topic: team Sky vs Contador..  (Read 2615 times)

team Sky vs Contador..
« on: 26 September, 2012, 01:11:47 pm »
One thing got me thinking last month watching the Vuelta and how immensely aggressive Contador was during the whole race, how will TeamSky keep him in check next year presumably for Le Tour ... I just dont know how the climbers four (Rowe, Porte and Froome and Rogers (or whoever they choose) will manage his very aggressive riding style... Im sure they've got the skills to do that but Contador just looks unbeatable.  What do you think ?

Re: team Sky vs Contador..
« Reply #1 on: 26 September, 2012, 01:17:10 pm »
Don't forget the Vuelta plays to Contis strengths, steeper gradients compared to the long grinds of the Tour.  I suspect Contador will still be able to attack and make it stick.

« Reply #2 on: 26 September, 2012, 01:48:54 pm »
We know that the 2013 starts with 3 days in Corsica, days two and three are hilly, followed by a TT in Nice. What else do we know?

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #3 on: 26 September, 2012, 02:18:32 pm »
Rumour says Mt Ventoux is on  again and  2X Alpe'Huez in one stage.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4 on: 26 September, 2012, 02:39:55 pm »
Also don't forget that Froome was riding in the Vuelta on the back of the Tour de France and Olympics, and with a weakened Sky team supporting him.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #5 on: 26 September, 2012, 04:01:49 pm »
2X Alpe'Huez in one stage.

Quoi? You can carry on past Alpe d'Huez back down to the valley - the road rejoins the Briançon road by the Lac du Chambon - but I sure as hell wouldn't want to see people racing along there - it's very narrow with a very broken-up road surface.
The journey is always more important than the destination

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #6 on: 26 September, 2012, 04:22:05 pm »

Quoi? You can carry on past Alpe d'Huez back down to the valley - the road rejoins the Briançon road by the Lac du Chambon - but I sure as hell wouldn't want to see people racing along there - it's very narrow with a very broken-up road surface.

I think that there is a new road that will be tarmaced for the first time.  Shame really - I prefer Alpe d'Huez being the destination rather than a transit station.

« Reply #7 on: 26 September, 2012, 05:17:03 pm »

I think that there is a new road that will be tarmaced for the first time.  Shame really - I prefer Alpe d'Huez being the destination rather than a transit station.

That's a shame. Being able to get up or down there without having to put up with the traffic on le 21 virages was rather nice (with spectacular views).

BTW the road up to Villard-Reymond and the unpaved balcony road to Villard Notre-Dame on the other side of the Oisans valley are spectacular if you don't mind a bit of gentle off-roading on a road bike..

« Reply #8 on: 26 September, 2012, 05:18:43 pm »
Penultimate stage rumoured to be mountain TT from Annecy up to La Semnoz.  Rode this on the tandem with my youngest a few years back.

« Reply #9 on: 26 September, 2012, 08:22:00 pm »
I think that there is a new road that will be tarmaced for the first time.
It's almost certainly the Col de Sarennes road.
This had a reasonable tarmac surface when I rode it in 1998 (apart from drainage channels at intervals across the first part of the descent), and what there is on google maps/panoramio makes it look reasonably well surfaced.

« Reply #10 on: 27 September, 2012, 08:50:48 am »
This had a reasonable tarmac surface when I rode it in 1998 (apart from drainage channels at intervals across the first part of the descent), and what there is on google maps/panoramio makes it look reasonably well surfaced.

First time I went that way, a few years ago, it was being resurfaced. The Tarmac machine blocked the entire road!

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #11 on: 27 September, 2012, 01:45:44 pm »

First time I went that way, a few years ago, it was being resurfaced. The Tarmac machine blocked the entire road!

When we rode it in June (on my CTC tour) the old drainage channels had been tarmacked over, but its still a very narrow, long, steep and tortuously twisty descent, with gravel on the bends, and various animals to avoid hitting on the way down. We normally take it very slowly on the way down, stopping to let the rims cool and taking loads of photos, so I still wouldnt want to see racing going on down THAT descent...With spectators in the way as well? Perhaps they will be CLIMBING the Saurenne, descending the Alpe, and later in the day , climbing the Alpe to the traditional finish at the top??
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #12 on: 27 September, 2012, 02:06:43 pm »
What I've heard is enter Bourg via the Col d'Ornon, up the Alpe, descend the Sarennes, down the valley to Bourg, and finish up the Alpe.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #13 on: 27 September, 2012, 02:37:13 pm »

Mrs Pingu & I rode that road last year. It wasn't the smoothest road (but I've seen a lot worse). The worst apect was the drainage channels across the road which were full of grit. An example:

IMG_4930 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Toady

« Reply #14 on: 27 September, 2012, 02:40:27 pm »
Penultimate stage rumoured to be mountain TT from Annecy up to La Semnoz.  Rode this on the tandem with my youngest a few years back.
We haven't had one of those for a while have we?  Wasn't the last one in the days of Lance in his dubiously fuelled pomp?

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #15 on: 27 September, 2012, 07:43:19 pm »
We haven't had one of those for a while have we?  Wasn't the last one in the days of Lance in his dubiously fuelled pomp?

I camped overnight at the foothills of Alpe d'Huez to watch that one.
I know he drugged an' all - but his performance was mighty impressive.  He won the day - did not lose his rag when he was spat on before the barriers started and was then helicoptered off the top with his rock star girlfriend.  In those days he was a demi-god.