Author Topic: Seat bag for an Ice Sprint X  (Read 685 times)

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
Seat bag for an Ice Sprint X
« on: 31 March, 2024, 05:16:06 pm »
Hi,  I've capitulated to increasing balance issues and move from my lovely 2 wheel Performer bent (SAKI, and sold...) to an Ice Sprint X.

I see the price of the Ice rear rack is eye watering.  I had a bag on my SAKI which was held on with Velcro and plenty gig enough for spare tubes, a few tools and wet weather gear.  I can't remember where I bought it.

Anyone got any suggestions for a bag that will hang off the top of the hardshell seat without a rack.  My 20/26" Performer has a rack and a top bag but I'm not forking out for the Ice rack!

Thx

Andy

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: Seat bag for an Ice Sprint X
« Reply #1 on: 31 March, 2024, 05:25:52 pm »
check out banana bags, they probably have something suitable.  Not cheap, but effective
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #2 on: 31 March, 2024, 08:43:21 pm »
I had a bag on my SAKI which was held on with Velcro and plenty gig enough for spare tubes, a few tools and wet weather gear.  I can't remember where I bought it.
Was it the Fastback System bag maybe? If so there’s one on eBay at the moment for £35 BIN, although the seller made an offer to me of £25 so if it’s what you’re after it might be worth putting in a cheeky offer.

Otherwise, as ElyDave says, lots of options (like Banana bags) that hang off the seat available from Radical Designs - but at a price.

« Reply #3 on: 31 March, 2024, 10:44:55 pm »
I thought that sort of fastback was designed to attach to catrike mesh seats?
I think Andy would be better off with a banana bag.

Do you really need a special rack for the ice trike though? It was not that hard for me to fit a standard rack to the catrike.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: 31 March, 2024, 10:54:51 pm »
The ICE might have rear suspension. Many do.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #5 on: 31 March, 2024, 11:00:33 pm »
I thought that sort of fastback was designed to attach to catrike mesh seats?
No they’re designed to fit hardshell seats, although the seller of the bag on eBay reckons it can also be adapted to work on mesh seats.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 01 April, 2024, 12:04:09 am »
The ICE might have rear suspension. Many do.

Yeah, the rack on barakta's Sprint RS (20" rear wheel with suspension) is specific to that trike; a fussy cantilevered design that moves with the suspension.  (I believe newer designs mount the rack rigidly to the suspension pivot and seat mounting so the luggage is properly suspended and doesn't have its own pivots with associated bushings.)

ICE trikes with a rigid rear section have much more conventional luggage racks, supported at the drop-out with long stabilising arms at the front to wherever.  Sort of thing that could reasonably be bodged.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #7 on: 01 April, 2024, 01:07:51 pm »
Hi, yes, my SprintX has rear suspension.  I saw that Fastback bag on eBay but it looked a bit battered to me - but I think mine may well have been a Fastback, it certainly had the same Velcro strips and the pad.  Sadly no longer available.  The trike has the rigid seat.

I'll have a look at the banana bags, thx.

Just dragged out a 26" and 20" Marathon Plus from the attic that were on my Performer; I went to Marathon Racers and they've been good.  Thought I'd try them on the trike as it currently has Kojaks and I live in hawthorn hedge country (rural Cheshire).

mr ben

• Some routes may be arduous.
    • ramblings and randonees
« Reply #8 on: 04 April, 2024, 01:45:32 pm »
ICE trikes with a rigid rear section have much more conventional luggage racks, supported at the drop-out with long stabilising arms at the front to wherever.  Sort of thing that could reasonably be bodged.

Has anyone managed to do this?  A source of the long arms would be all that is needed I guess, plus a standard rack (although the cost of mudguards from ICE is more eyewatering than the racks to be honest).
Think it possible that you may be mistaken.

« Reply #9 on: 04 April, 2024, 02:06:42 pm »
What length arms do you need? You can buy different arm lengths separate to buying racks.

« Reply #10 on: 04 April, 2024, 08:51:39 pm »
I have a trice rear rack which is a spare  . I am not sure where you are but if you are anywhere near Slough then would be happy for you to have it 😊
the slower you go the more you see

mr ben

• Some routes may be arduous.
    • ramblings and randonees
« Reply #11 on: 05 April, 2024, 11:42:07 am »
Thanks Cycleman, I am quite some distance from Slough though.

I will try and work out how long they need to be.
Think it possible that you may be mistaken.

« Reply #12 on: 05 April, 2024, 07:10:03 pm »
the slower you go the more you see

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 05 April, 2024, 10:03:02 pm »
Ice rack
https://photos.app.goo.gl/pwLPy93sWK1Emgv76

That looks almost, but not quite the same as, the one on barakta's 2011 Sprint RS.  Not sure it would work with a 26" rigid rear end...