Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3814596 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #22825 on: 07 February, 2020, 10:04:02 am »
Yesterday did 60 km in the Wolds.  Very pleasant, almost spring like.  This time lots of squirrels, one in kamikaze mode.

There are some good hills to climb and I was tackling this long, unremitting 16% single track climb out of Thixendale to Fridaythorpe.  I'd not seen a car for miles.  Was doing very nicely when an oncoming motor appeared and stopped to let me by with about 100m to spare.  So I climbed asap up to it and gave it a wave then eased off a bit to recover.  Immediately a white van appears and also stops to let me by with masses to spare.  I jump on the pedals and get by asap with statutory wave.  That was a real effort but I'm still in there and ease off a bit to recover..  Of course then another white van appears and stops, again with far too much distance to spare.  Whilst I could have struggled up to it, fortunately there is a passing place 50m on so I pull in for a break and let the van go.  It has something on the side like 'Green Energy Solutions' so I guess they were all in convoy - in the last place I'd want to meet one.  No more cars for miles again once I reached the top.

I get about a mile on the flattish road and then it's a 16% descent, all that effort.. 

Move Faster and Bake Things

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #22826 on: 08 February, 2020, 06:09:15 pm »
Only my second day out ride of the year, bright and sunny over t' Humber Bridge. The storm hasn't got here yet.

Saturday ride 080220 by John Jackson, on Flickr

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22827 on: 08 February, 2020, 08:47:56 pm »
Eventful Origami ride to Consall, featuring mud, wind, Bostin' Baps[1], unexpected steam trains[2], a couple of visitations and no less than four offs:  Nasty patch of tree-grease on a steep descent, which I skipped over at speeds in excess of R17 without incident, before failing to bunny-hop a drainage channel.  The first victim took out the second on his way down.  The third lost her front wheel while slowing down to hear the person warning that it was slippery.  I didn't witness the fourth.  Assorted mud-splatter and minor injuries.

[1] I'm suspicious that this may be a triumph of alliteration over geography, as any fule knows a bap is a cob in "bostin'" territory.
[2] The railway was closed, but some men in orange hi-vis were running a train anyway, presumably for training or testing purposes.

« Reply #22828 on: 08 February, 2020, 09:08:50 pm »
After Thursday's hills did a nice flat run south of York.  The sustrans path out is like a washboard with all the tree roots and far too many dog walkers, too so I won't use that again! 

Pushing into the wind out bound but made good progress and coming back it was like being the pea in a pea-shooter.  Plenty other cyclists out, too. 

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22829 on: 09 February, 2020, 08:52:06 am »
55k coffee run with El Prez. Cold & sunny. Coffee shop was bleh: the coffee tasted as if the machine hadn't been cleaned for a month, El Prez's doughnut was too greasy and the cheesecake was dry. :sick:  Only other incident of note was a nitwit with a phone glued to his ear and a barely-controlled dog that nearly had El Prez off his bike. No harm done but feathers ruffled.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #22830 on: 10 February, 2020, 03:51:50 pm »
Just spent the weekend up at Hartington Hall, YHA, in t'peak district, and yes we did go out Fri, Sat,and Sunday. on Sunday we went along the high peak and Tissington trails, as well as some serious ruff stuff, (on my tourer) and the weather was , well you can guess what it was like on the exposed areas, riding along in a line, all at a 30 deg angle into a side wind. Scary? yes, Fun? THE most exhilarating cycling I have ever done.  ;)

« Reply #22831 on: 10 February, 2020, 08:29:26 pm »
I have just got back from a 23. 4kmlocal ride ave 12.11km. The wind is still a bit strong at times  :o :)
the slower you go the more you see

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #22832 on: 14 February, 2020, 05:03:02 pm »
An 11 mile round trip with Rob on the Thorn tandem. I am struggling to get my leg over.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #22833 on: 16 February, 2020, 07:42:34 am »
Not actually been "out" on it for two weeks, turbo trainer and netflix again this weekend
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22834 on: 16 February, 2020, 08:20:57 am »
Yesterday, an 82k coffee toddle with El Prez. A bit of a headwind going but nothing remarkable, nice for coming home. Around 13°C most of the way.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #22835 on: 16 February, 2020, 08:40:23 pm »
Don't you just love it when the sun comes out just as it is about to set! Managed a 12 miler dodging puddles (well almost) in the gathering gloom.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22836 on: 17 February, 2020, 08:37:44 am »
Oh aye: just a quick loop and you come home with the bike dirtier than after PBP.

« Reply #22837 on: 18 February, 2020, 09:47:47 pm »
Went and did 26km today after work. It were grim on the top of them hills west of Sheffield

« Reply #22838 on: 21 February, 2020, 12:27:39 am »
closest I have come to a proper winters day out this season.  +2 when I set off, -1c when I got back 5 hours later.  Could of done with the snow actually lying but never the less it was great to feel it on my face.  Just love these brutal wild days on the road

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #22839 on: 22 February, 2020, 05:27:11 pm »
Bit blustery today, tailwind coming home though. Very noisy on the Humber bridge, almost lost my hat. Baked potato in the Honeypot cafe Barton.

« Reply #22840 on: 22 February, 2020, 08:50:36 pm »
Very windy. Got stopped by the police at deeply flooded dip with a fast-flowing stream going across. They said they had to be there because some drivers believed themselves to had miraculous powers.  Apparently it's very rare that they do.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22841 on: 23 February, 2020, 08:54:07 am »
50-odd km yesterday. Would've liked twice that but wind was so horrible that when I got home I was as knackered as I would've been after 100. Lots of trees down or broken in the forest, mostly from Ciara but a few looked fresh.

« Reply #22842 on: 23 February, 2020, 06:46:48 pm »
So nice to get out today after a couple of weeks off the bike (weather - rain, wind, cold).  West along the Tyne valley from Newburn to Corbridge.  Then a loop up towards Stamfordham and back to Newburn, with the increasingly strong wing behind us.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #22843 on: 23 February, 2020, 08:09:35 pm »
About 8 miles with jhonathan notp to Dorney garden centre and back ave approx 5mph on Saturday and 63 km. Out to Henley and back though Marlow and Cookham at a ave of 12.4km with bjorn notp today using the sun ez3  :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #22844 on: 23 February, 2020, 08:15:12 pm »
I went out for an hour this afternoon. West into the forever wind, I turned back after 10km (mostly uphill) into it.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #22845 on: 23 February, 2020, 10:02:02 pm »
Did a club ride today, 120k.
I took my new Shand steel bike. On a ride with about 20 others on carbon fluff.
I was good till about 100k, then the weight began to count against me on the climbs.
Dropped off the back with 10k to go, was just hurting too much.

« Reply #22846 on: 24 February, 2020, 02:17:17 pm »
my fourth metric ton of the year so far. Just wonderful to have blue skies and dry roads - no bike to clean afterwards- yippie.

Looks very different today, heading out now under grey grey skies, wet roads and heavy sleet showers  ???

« Reply #22847 on: 24 February, 2020, 09:58:11 pm »
my fourth metric ton of the year so far. Just wonderful to have blue skies and dry roads - no bike to clean afterwards- yippie.

Looks very different today, heading out now under grey grey skies, wet roads and heavy sleet showers  ???

Yeah, I was staying in Alnwick, and eventually left around 10 o'clock, and things didn't really improve until about 3-4 o'clock. Then the wind picked up.

I quite enjoyed the ride back to Darlo, though, even the slushy lanes. I might have set off the fire alarm in Morpeth Costa when I was trying to dry out my gloves.

« Reply #22848 on: 25 February, 2020, 11:32:23 pm »
getting into spring now, lovely warm sunshine at times, and a little hint of snow, something I have missed badly this winter.

some screenshots from the dashcam

check out that tarmac  :thumbsup:

« Reply #22849 on: 25 February, 2020, 11:44:24 pm »
Rowan, you jammy bugger, are you up Hamsterley way?

I love that you love winter - it makes sense to love all seasons.  Unfortunately, I'm not having quite the fabulous experience of winter that you are!  I was out today for my half-hour medicinal ride through the hail.  I knew my hands were cold but the rest of me felt fine.  When I got in, I was surprised to be pretty much hypothermic for about half an hour - feeling sick and so on.  I suppose it's down to my sick heart not pumping the warming blood round as efficiently as when it worked properly!  I'm going to have to put more layers on.

Keep posting your pictures, though!  I'm originally a Durham lad and your pictures certainly look like home!  Could also be Lancashire, except I don't think we've got that much straight tarmac, except maybe round Longridge.