Author Topic: Tour de France 2012  (Read 143534 times)

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
Re: Tour de France 2012
« Reply #400 on: 12 July, 2012, 08:22:50 am »
Hhhhmmmm, yes odd caption placed on that picture of Cadders and Wiggers crossing the line (steephill link). Wiggers is looking back to check on the rest of the Sky riders' positions.

Maybe whoever captioned the photos (and it might have been the photographer), has an agenda perhaps?
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #401 on: 12 July, 2012, 08:24:52 am »
That's not how Nibali interpreted it.
When we crossed the line, Bradley turned and looked at me. If he wants to be a great champion, he needs to have a bit of respect for his adversaries. Sometimes turning around and looking into your face is an insult.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #402 on: 12 July, 2012, 08:25:17 am »
As I said upthread, a poor show.

http://www.steephill.tv/2012/tour-de-france/photos/stage-10/#355-IMG_2739_edited-1.jpg

Oh, do me a favour. Bradley 'looked at' Nibali? And that's a sign of disrespect? A sign of an over-inflated ego and an over-excited imagination. Nibali needs to get over himself. Tw@t.

fuzzy

« Reply #403 on: 12 July, 2012, 08:28:18 am »
When we crossed the line, Bradley turned and looked at me. If he wants to be a great champion, he needs to have a bit of respect for his adversaries. Sometimes turning around and looking into your face is an insult.

And sometimes it isn't.

Riggers

« Reply #404 on: 12 July, 2012, 08:38:29 am »
Anyhooo, today's race up and down dale is gonna be a hoot. Lots and lots of tired legs because its difficult to get dragged up hills!!! It's just difficult to get up any hill for me at the moment, but that's besides the point. There'll be no hiding in a large group.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #405 on: 12 July, 2012, 08:39:25 am »

And sometimes it isn't.

I think the mindset here is the one that can produce that memorable Friday or Saturday night question, "Are you lookin' at me pal?"  To which I think our collective response should be, "Leave 'im he's not worf it."  :)

Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #406 on: 12 July, 2012, 08:51:54 am »
If he wants to be a great champion, he needs to have a bit of respect for his adversaries.

No, if he wants to be a great champion, he has to win a few races.

Oooh, look....
The journey is always more important than the destination

Riggers

« Reply #407 on: 12 July, 2012, 09:29:09 am »
… a tractor!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #408 on: 12 July, 2012, 09:48:18 am »
Those sideburns are pretty provocative. Clearly disrespectful of his competitors.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #409 on: 12 July, 2012, 09:52:28 am »

I dunno, it's all ME, ME, ME with some people
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #410 on: 12 July, 2012, 10:09:39 am »

When I read that, I immediately thought of when my sister was three and I was five, and, in the absence of anything else she could get me into trouble for, she would plaintively wail ‘Muuu-uum! Laura’s looking at me!’

« Reply #411 on: 12 July, 2012, 10:28:01 am »
As I said upthread, a poor show.

http://www.steephill.tv/2012/tour-de-france/photos/stage-10/#355-IMG_2739_edited-1.jpg

And as others have said upthread, bollocks. Sportsmen don't have to be nice, and most are egocentric monomaniacs (if they're winners for sure). They need to win, and if screwing with their opponents head helps, they'll do it.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #412 on: 12 July, 2012, 10:38:14 am »
Yeah but, no but, yeah but, no but, that wiggo was givin' me the evils.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #413 on: 12 July, 2012, 10:56:49 am »
Yeah, I read in The Guardian that the 'disrespect' was a look, and I thought they must have got it wrong, so I looked online.  I couldn't find anything more conclusive than the photo linked to, and the consensus here seems to be sensible.

Come on, Nibali.  Even if Wiggins was looking at you (and I don't think he was), just Grow The Fuck Up, will you?
Getting there...

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #414 on: 12 July, 2012, 11:01:11 am »
Nibali is coming across as more and more of a twat. The best he can do is gain half a minute on a descent which will invariably be clawed back by the "group of favourites" well before the finish line.

Bradley is in a strong position and he should give his adversaries "the look" more often imo. I crush them!

« Reply #415 on: 12 July, 2012, 11:01:45 am »
Nibali trying to throw wiggo a bit? Wiggin's isn't chucking his bike into hedges anymore, but maybe Nibali think after c*ntgate that a bit of niggling might get him back to that frame of mind and start making mistakes?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #416 on: 12 July, 2012, 11:03:07 am »
That's my thought, but it's a very weak position.
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #417 on: 12 July, 2012, 11:04:05 am »
btw, I half heard a mention on the radio suggesting Wiggins has now held the MJ for more consecutive days than any British rider before.  Is this true?
Getting there...

« Reply #418 on: 12 July, 2012, 11:06:49 am »
btw, I half heard a mention on the radio suggesting Wiggins has now held the MJ for more consecutive days than any British rider before.  Is this true?

They said that on the ITV4 coverage yesterday.

Meanwhile breaking news is that Cancellara has withdrawn.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #419 on: 12 July, 2012, 11:08:50 am »

due to not withdrawing 9 months ago.........

« Reply #420 on: 12 July, 2012, 11:15:46 am »

;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #421 on: 12 July, 2012, 11:16:37 am »

;D

Accidents do happen though. According to my dad I was one.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #422 on: 12 July, 2012, 11:19:46 am »
Don't know if Nibali changed his story but the first version of it I heard had Brad smirking and waving at him as he came past.

I get the feeling Nibali doesn't mind losing so much (he should be used to it by now, after all), he just doesn't want to lose to Brad - he'd rather lose to Froome, a rider he regards as having a bit more panache.

He's not doing himself any favours with his whining, but I do wonder if something is being lost in translation - not so much in this instance, but in the case of his comments about Brad before the Tour started.

I do kind of agree that it would be nice to see Brad forced to get involved in a bit of racing, especially as I think Brad would be able to rise to the challenge on current form, but it's up to Nibali et al to make that happen.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #423 on: 12 July, 2012, 11:54:33 am »
a rider he regards as having a bit more panache.

Or does he resent losing to a rider who twiddles along smoothly and calmly instead of honking up hills pulling faces and swinging about like a bag of spanners in the traditional pro-cyclist manner?

I suspect he'd've hated Indurain, too.
The journey is always more important than the destination

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #424 on: 12 July, 2012, 12:09:58 pm »
I suspect he'd've hated Indurain, too.

Exactly. Much as we want to see a Brit win, we don't really want to see a repeat of the 1995 Tour, do we?

Blitzing the field with high-tempo group riding up mountains is hugely impressive, but it lacks the excitement of the mano a mano, suitcases of courage stuff we saw in stage 17 of last year's Vuelta.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."