Author Topic: eee PC debate  (Read 15729 times)

Jezza

Re: eee PC debate
« Reply #100 on: 22 December, 2008, 04:23:06 pm »
It seems to be wireless - when I log in to it it says "Wireless ADSL Modem Router - GWART2-54125".  There's a sticker with a MAC code on the thing - would that be the wireless key?

Don't ask me to try it - I have to wait till Christmas Day to 'open' the eeePC.   ;D

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #101 on: 22 December, 2008, 04:34:01 pm »
I don't think so. I think the wireless key is in hex (numerals 0-9 +letters a-e) BICBW.
The wireless key is sometimes in the router manual and sometimes on the cardboard box the router came in...

border-rider

« Reply #102 on: 22 December, 2008, 04:38:15 pm »
No, the MAC key is something different.  That is a wireless router though, so you should be in business

If you can log onto the router from a PC you should be able to get to the setup pages, and somewhere there there'll be a page to setup the wireless.  That's where you enter the security code for your wireless network (which you can set to anything you want - just set the same code on the EEEPC) and choose which flavour of security you want (WEP, WPA etc)

« Reply #103 on: 22 December, 2008, 11:32:36 pm »
The MAC address is a unique code for every networking device - for example a network card or wireless network adaptor. It's particular to that specific piece of hardware, irrespective of the network to which it is currently connected. The wireless key, by contrast, is a sort of "password" that you specify for your network.

Assuming that you use encryption on your wireless network, every computer that connects to it needs to have the key specified in its set-up.

In addition, you can set up the wireless router to allow only specified MAC addresses (i.e. devices) to connect. This gives you belt and braces security - though nothing is completely secure.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
« Reply #104 on: 23 December, 2008, 11:27:01 am »
It seems to be wireless - when I log in to it it says "Wireless ADSL Modem Router - GWART2-54125".  There's a sticker with a MAC code on the thing - would that be the wireless key?

Don't ask me to try it - I have to wait till Christmas Day to 'open' the eeePC.   ;D

Hi Jezza - here is a link to the Safecom website with installation guide, and user manual.
..::SAFECOM::.. Drivers, Manuals & FAQ's Search

If it still has default settings, try putting 192.168.0.1 as an address in you web browser - you should get to the setup pages of the router. The default login user name and password are both "admin" (Note these are the login and username for the setup pages in your router - nothing to do with your internet account with your ISP.)

From there you can set-up the wireless part of your router, including wep key.

EDIT:
Wireless set-up is described starting on page 90 of  the user manual. You should only need to look at the "Setup" and "Security" sections. If you want increased security (limit access only to specific MAC addresses) then this is done in the "Management" section.

The other sections are not needed for a simple home set-up. You can of course set-up the wireless in advance of Christmas day to be ready for the eee.

EDIT AGAIN: - here is a very useful on-line demo of the set-up pages.
Wireless ADSL Modem Router SWART2-54125

Jezza

« Reply #105 on: 23 December, 2008, 12:35:55 pm »
Thanks for all the info everyone - and cheers for the link tony. Very useful.

Jezza

« Reply #106 on: 26 December, 2008, 05:56:36 pm »
Well this post is being brought to you from an eeePC. But unfortunately not wireless. I followed the link exactly, until it said 'Click the wireless menu'. Uh-oh. Haven't got one.  I presume this means I need to invest in a wireless router.

Great little toy, but the keyboard takes some getting used to.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #107 on: 26 December, 2008, 06:07:43 pm »
I now get more typos when I switch back to a full-size keyboard!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #108 on: 26 December, 2008, 06:27:14 pm »

Great little toy, but the keyboard takes some getting used to.

I showed my Eee PC to a male friend who pointed out the  keyboard was MASSIVE compared to a phone...

« Reply #109 on: 26 December, 2008, 06:29:26 pm »
I've got broad hands with sausagey fingers, but find the keyboard excellent, even on the small 701
"Many, also, are the hills that lie between, and we must ascend, by a glorious stairway, from strength to strength."
- Petrarch, 'The Ascent of Mount Ventoux', 1336

Jezza

« Reply #110 on: 26 December, 2008, 06:58:15 pm »
Don't get me wrong - I love it. It's just a bit different.

I'm a carp typist anyway so maybve this'll improve my technique. Finfers cant keep up with trhe words.

Dear oh dear. D minus.   :D

border-rider

« Reply #111 on: 27 December, 2008, 04:24:27 pm »
I do struggle with the keyboard a bit, I must say.

But then I struggle with a full-size one almost as much :)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #112 on: 29 December, 2008, 03:48:50 pm »
I predict that, by next Christmas, my PC will have a bigger monitor for watching DVDs on, and I will be browsing on an eeePC
Getting there...