Author Topic: Red Nosed Reindeers  (Read 1162 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Red Nosed Reindeers
« on: 26 December, 2013, 04:26:38 pm »
SCIENCE says it's so!

In an infrared image, a reindeer’s nose (indicated by arrow) is shown to be especially red, a reflection of its temperature-regulating function. Image via Ince et. al.

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/science/2012/12/the-scientific-reason-why-reindeer-have-red-noses/?utm_source=smithsoniantopic&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20131222-Weekender
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
Re: Red Nosed Reindeers
« Reply #1 on: 01 January, 2014, 11:07:07 am »
You will notice its arsehole is also red.... :o

Same goes for cats, thats the first thing I noticed about the thermal images I did of my house, when Baggins wandered into the field of view.  Amusing the things you discover when you have a thermal imaging camera at your disposal.
Wombat

Re: Red Nosed Reindeers
« Reply #2 on: 01 January, 2014, 01:32:27 pm »
You will notice its arsehole is also red.... :o

I'm so glad I left it to someone else to comment...

Well of course, it's the scramjet exhaust - how else is Father Christmas and his team of reindeer going to get around the world in 24 hours?  ;)

Same goes for cats, thats the first thing I noticed about the thermal images I did of my house, when Baggins wandered into the field of view.

So that's how cats land on their feet from a great height - it's attitude control and retro-rocket all rolled into one!  ;D

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche