Author Topic: The Board Game Thread  (Read 19214 times)

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
Re: What are your favourite/least favourite board games?
« Reply #100 on: 09 January, 2014, 07:25:35 pm »
We were given 'Cards against Humanity' for Christmas.

Best played drunk. Never play with anyone who is easily offended.

Playing when drunk may have resulted in my posting inappropriate and offensive things on facebook.

I took a copy of Cards Against Humanity home for Christmas too. Hilarious, outrageous and a lot of fun.

I'm still waiting to pick up a copy of Settlers Of Catan so that I can loudly declare across the table that "I have wood for sheep".

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #101 on: 22 January, 2014, 04:05:34 pm »
Had a go at two new (to me) games this weekend, courtesy of Kathy OTP & others.

First new one was ‘Small World’, a fantasy race based area conquest game.  The mechanic where you can ‘retire’ your current race and put them in decline to start a new one reminded me a little of ‘Britannia’, ‘History of the World’ or the even older ‘Barbarian, Kingdom, Empire’.  It’s a good game mechanic and allows a player to come back from a bad few turns and still have a chance of doing well.

Because the game features races that are then matched with separate attribute cards (each giving abilities and bonuses) the potential combinations are many, which results in a high degree of randomness and no one set way to win, or combination that always guarantees victory – e.g. in the game ‘Railroads and Robber Barons’ a player who ties up the North-East section of the US rail network early is almost always going to win but ‘Small World’ has decent play balance throughout and I enjoyed my first game of it (despite being very rubbish at understanding the rules at first*).

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/40692/small-world

Play balance is something I’ve mentioned already in earlier posts and is a key driver to how good and enjoyable a game is - I have a game called ‘A Few Acres of Snow’ which is about British vs French settlement of North America and Canada.  The overall advantage in it is with the British player in material terms but the measures of victory are such that balance is achieved through the game.  While the British player is more likely to appear to be doing better, the game scoring is such that they have to do really well to score highly when compared to the French player, who has much more modest targets.

The second new (to me) game was ‘Bohnanza’ a card based game around the growing and trading of beans.  I’m making it sound less fun that it was and I’m still somewhat stunned by the fact that a bean based game did not generate a single fart joke.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/11/bohnanza

This game was good and well designed – I’ll admit card trading type games are less my thing and I’m not good at the negotiation side of this sort of game either but I enjoyed it overall.  It’s also very much a card counting game, as there are differing quantities of each type of bean card – it’s easy to build up a big hand of a few types but others are so limited in number it’s only possible for one person to successfully collect/cultivate them.

*I’m really bad at learning from verbal instruction.  I learn best through visual methods and/or by doing.  This is kind of a problem as a game player.  I could see Kathy’s face falling as I went through the instructions for ‘Lancaster’ as it looks way more complicated than it actually is which is something that always makes me nervous with a new game.

Ruth

« Reply #102 on: 22 January, 2014, 04:14:26 pm »
We were given 'Cards against Humanity' for Christmas.

Best played drunk. Never play with anyone who is easily offended.

Playing when drunk may have resulted in my posting inappropriate and offensive things on facebook.

I took a copy of Cards Against Humanity home for Christmas too. Hilarious, outrageous and a lot of fun.

I'm still waiting to pick up a copy of Settlers Of Catan so that I can loudly declare across the table that "I have wood for sheep".

The kids had me playind Cards Against Humanity the other night. Hilarious.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #103 on: 23 January, 2014, 03:14:54 pm »
First new one was ‘Small World’, a fantasy race based area conquest game.  The mechanic where you can ‘retire’ your current race and put them in decline to start a new one reminded me a little of ‘Britannia’, ‘History of the World’ or the even older ‘Barbarian, Kingdom, Empire’.  It’s a good game mechanic and allows a player to come back from a bad few turns and still have a chance of doing well.

At what point do you start singing *THAT* song?
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #104 on: 24 January, 2014, 09:43:28 am »
Pretty much the instant someone mentions the name of the game I reckon.  Repeat until blunt force trauma.

« Reply #105 on: 26 January, 2014, 06:42:40 pm »

A (new) favourite:

Lancaster – a relatively simple game that takes place around 15th Century England

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/96913/lancaster

Had a go at this the first time this weekend – absolutely loved it.

Firstly it can be played with up to five players (theoretically can be played with two but a lot more fun with five) but has good game mechanics to alter the playing conditions to suit a lesser number of players.

It’s a relatively short game, probably can be finished in an hour or less once you have learned the rules.  It only has five turns but these break down in to five or so (from memory) different phases, one of which can repeat itself a fair bit, especially in the last two turns.

It’s a victory points based game, in that while you occupy the game map throughout each turn, it’s cleared after the end of each turn, preventing runaway victories and the way scoring is worked out, it can be uncertain who the definite winner will be until the game ends (and a fortuitous change of laws in the last phase could swing this too).

Play balance is further achieved through a system of laws which players vote on (a lot more fun than it sounds), with each of the different laws helping or hurting various players.  One of the other game mechanics is collecting nobles to your cause, each of which adds a vote to your side during the law phase (so a powerful baron can try and force through laws that favour them).

Another game mechanic which might prove popular with some is that the game involves as a key mechanic almost constant war with France – covered by an abstracted system which allows players to earn both victory points and favours from the king.

The gameplay, while each phase is repeated throughout the turns becomes very different as the game progresses (for one thing you will have acquired more playing pieces and the game map therefore becomes a lot more crowded).

Lastly, the game looks great.  Nice, easy to understand mapboard, good, tactile components (I’m a sucker for wooden playing pieces) and some hidden pieces to keep things interesting.

So what are your likes/dislikes?

Having now played this with Iain, I'm a fan. It sounded outrageously complicated (only 5 turns, each turn has 5 phases, each phase is done by 5 players in turn...), but it all made sense once the game was underway. It was quite well balanced, and I fancy a re-match at some point! :thumbsup:
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Ruth

« Reply #106 on: 27 January, 2014, 02:14:06 am »
What?

Is the name of a board game I played for the first time a couple of evenings ago.

It's shit.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #107 on: 27 January, 2014, 09:24:25 am »
Least favourite by some miles is Pictionary.  Closely followed by Monopoly and Cluedo.   

I quite like Boggle.  My childhood Pictionary trauma has put me off ever trying any other 'real' board games.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #108 on: 28 January, 2014, 12:35:08 am »
Ah yes, Pictionary.

I have a love-hate relationship with pictionary.  Hate because of the inherent frustration of having negative art skills.  Love because, given the right team (ideally my ex's mum, because our brains appear to share a weird symbolic communication synergy), I'm astoundingly good at it.  With a less on-the-same-wavelength team, it's reduced to an exercise in drawing things intelligibly, rather than working out how the other person would expect you to represent a concept visually.  That makes the drawing skills more important, and the whole thing much less interesting.

Like with tennis, it technically has rules (which might involve a board?), but it's much more fun if you ignore them and switch to just cooperatively taking turns at the fundamental bit of keeping the ball in the air / drawing and guessing things.

I've been known to play Pictionary over the internet using application sharing software and an art package years before tablet devices and Draw Something[1] were invented.

ETA: Oh yeah.  Pictionary is actually worse than charades for causing me to accidentally lapse into sign language.  I'm not sure why.

[1] A bit like Pictionary, but more rigidly structured, and frustratingly requires you to use a crude smartphone touchscreen rather than the perfectly good desktop computer and Wacom tablet you've got right there.

« Reply #109 on: 15 April, 2014, 03:46:40 pm »
At the weekend I acquired the "Explorers and Pirates"* expansion for "Settlers of Catan". This is an add-on to the original board game.

Catan, as mentioned upthread, is a very simple premise in which dice rolls generate "resources", resources can be used to build more settlements, and the player who gets the most settlements/roads etc by a certain point is declared the winner.

However, the original game can suffer badly from Early Loser Syndrome - the moment when you're sitting there with the perfect set of resources, just waiting for someone to roll an eight to get that brick you need and really start building, and four turns later you're still sitting there waiting for someone to roll that eight and everyone else is building their fourth city... You can trade cards with other players, but if no-one's got what you need at a trade price you can afford, or if there are only two players, it never really works.

Pirates and Explorers introduces a bank! Any time that a roll doesn't give you a resource, you get one gold, and with two gold you can buy a resource! This really helps prevent any initial bad rolls from being magnified. The bank also trades at a fixed price, so suddenly trading in a two-player game starts to happen again, as one player tries to undercut the bank.

P&E also introduces ships, seafaring exploration, pirates, and overseas resources. The downside is that the game is far more complex than the original version (you have to learn how ships move, consider how to ferry settlers and troops across the sea, overcome pirate dens with heroic feats of derring-do and statistics). As a result, the games booklet is one of those which gives me a sinking feeling when I try and read it (I couldn't even comprehend step 1, which was to sort all the counters into bags as instructed). It contains "scenarios" - so the first one is "Exploring", to enable the players to understand how ships move and new land is discovered. The second is "Pirates", and the players learn about carrying troops in their ships and Missions (fighting Pirates in this case). The next tutorials are on Fishing and Spice trading, and only then do you know enough to play the full game (I only got the game at the weekend, so I'm not there yet).

In summary, I think this seems a more balanced and nuanced game, but at a cost of becoming more complex and harder for a novice to pick up over a pint of beer.

*Everything's better with Pirates! :D
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #110 on: 15 April, 2014, 04:27:57 pm »
If I understand you right, it also seems to have potentially turned a peaceful game about resource sharing into a wargame?  To which I say “Yay!” but some will say “Boo!”

Snakes and Ladders needed more landmine counters.

« Reply #111 on: 15 April, 2014, 04:34:42 pm »
If I understand you right, it also seems to have potentially turned a peaceful game about resource sharing into a wargame?  To which I say “Yay!” but some will say “Boo!”

Snakes and Ladders needed more landmine counters.

You can't declare war on other players - the war is only with Pirates. Pirates are effectively another resource - once you've wiped them out of a hex, you can build a settlement there and get pirate gold if the dice so will it.

We managed to turn it into a game about arbitrage and munchkinly metagaming, but that's probably just us...

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #112 on: 25 November, 2014, 02:21:38 pm »
A few new games bought in a Birthday splurge -

An old favourite* in a new edition – The Awful Green Things From Outer Space:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/162/awful-green-things-outer-space

Somewhat improved with decent, more durable counters and map - previously like a lot of old Steve Jackson games, the map and counters were made of thin paper and card, a bit of a problem with beer & pretzels games.

The idea of the game is a relatively light hearted game about green flesh eating aliens taking over a spaceship; one player plays the crew the other the aliens.  More fun than it sounds.

Mag Blast, nice edition with cards drawn by John Kovalic.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/23142/magblast-third-edition

A game about ship to ship fleet combat.  Again, not terribly serious – your shots automatically miss if you fail to make silly space zap noises when you declare them.

Finally, Enemy Coast Ahead:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/142889/enemy-coast-ahead-dambuster-raid

A detailed solitaire game which simulates, ‘Operation Chastise’ the 1943 Ruhr dams raid.  Looks fairly detailed and interesting but haven’t had time to play it yet.  GMT the designers have a good track record at producing high quality games though.

* I never had a copy, my friend Paul did so since losing touch with him I probably haven’t played this game in about 20 years.

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #113 on: 25 November, 2014, 02:45:20 pm »
And apparently board games are getting more popular again - it does certainly seem so, but it's nice to read an article about it that isn't too condescending:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/nov/25/board-games-internet-playstation-xbox

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #114 on: 25 November, 2014, 02:50:27 pm »
Most board games end in fistfights or supperless early bedtime.

I still have a soft spot for Mouse Trap.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #115 on: 25 November, 2014, 03:38:09 pm »
Not sure whether it counts as a board game per se (it describes itself as a dice game, after all) but Viva! Luchador (http://backspindlegames.com/luchador-mexican-wrestling-dice/) is getting a lot of attention at work.

So much so we've set up a league :)

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #116 on: 25 November, 2014, 04:11:04 pm »

Only the good ones!

Well not really, see my earlier comments about Monopoly which is a dreadful game that is literally custom designed to piss off all players except the winner.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #117 on: 26 November, 2014, 12:50:26 pm »

I still have a soft spot for Mouse Trap.
It takes so bloody long to set up though. Kerplunk is much more fun, until you take the marbles to school and lose them. Kerplunk is really boring without the marbles.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #118 on: 01 December, 2014, 01:26:47 pm »
Yesterday we met up with Mr Weasel and played Ticket to Ride, Smallworld and Mag Blast. Ticket to Ride is an utterly wonderful game, and my opinion is not at all swayed by the fact that I won quite convincingly! ;D I can see that the gameplay would be somewhat different if you had five players or two, as opposed to the three of us that there were. Smallworld I lost, because the dice hated me (seriously, with a 50:50 chance of rolling for reinforcements, I failed eight times in a row!) and Iain managed to just pip Tim to first place. Mag Blast was rather too complicated for me (we were playing in a local pub because their tables were clearer than our house, so we were multibeered by this point), and Tim's fleet of battle cruisers competely destroyed my scout ship fleet.

Oh, and another news article about how board games are the latest "thing": http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/the-filter/11250173/15-party-games-you-probably-havent-tried-but-definitely-should.html

Not sure why that is in the "men" section as opposed to "people", but there you go then... :-\

« Reply #119 on: 01 December, 2014, 01:38:59 pm »
I learnt to detest Monopoly when my sisters would always merge after a couple of laps of the board so I was playing two on one.

I enjoy Risk, particularly if playing the shortened version with targets not the full world domination and Cluedo.
I have recently been given Settlers of Catan but have not had enough oportunities to play to develop an opinion on it.

At Uni we used to play Diplomacy, only by email with one move a week to allow for the requisit negotiation between the players. It was good fun but requires duplicity which I can't do face to face.

« Reply #120 on: 01 December, 2014, 02:28:49 pm »
If I lived near the sea, I expect my favourite would be surfboard and yet my least favourite would still be waterboard.  English is a puzzle.

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #121 on: 01 December, 2014, 03:30:49 pm »
Mag Blast was rather too complicated for me (we were playing in a local pub because their tables were clearer than our house, so we were multibeered by this point), and Tim's fleet of battle cruisers competely destroyed my scout ship fleet.

I think I judges that wrong.  Mag Blast is I'm sure a great game to play when multibeered if you already know it but it's probably not a game best learned when multibeered.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #122 on: 04 December, 2014, 10:56:20 am »
If you liked pandemic (a bloody evil game- first time my chums and I played it killed up very rapidly, we just about beat it the second time) then Forbidden Island is also great and just as eager to kill you and your friends. Its nicely co-op and leads to good planning and working together.

Betrayal at House on the Hill starts off similarly but has a nasty sting in the tail- someone turns traitor and then tries to kill all their companions. Its bloody hilarious and rather enjoyable!

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #123 on: 04 December, 2014, 11:11:12 am »
If you liked pandemic (a bloody evil game- first time my chums and I played it killed up very rapidly, we just about beat it the second time) then Forbidden Island is also great and just as eager to kill you and your friends. Its nicely co-op and leads to good planning and working together.

Pandemic is a great game and quite good at teaching the value of teamwork (you don't own your time, everyone in the team does and if you don't work together you die).  I'm being made to do some team building bollocks so I'm going to take the team somewhere out of the office and play this.

Have heard good things about Forbidden Island too.

Betrayal at House on the Hill starts off similarly but has a nasty sting in the tail- someone turns traitor and then tries to kill all their companions. Its bloody hilarious and rather enjoyable!

Shadows over Camelot has a similar mechanic where one of the Knights of the Round Table (don't sing) is a traitor.

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #124 on: 04 December, 2014, 11:25:35 am »
Yesterday we met up with Mr Weasel and played Ticket to Ride, Smallworld and Mag Blast. Ticket to Ride is an utterly wonderful game, and my opinion is not at all swayed by the fact that I won quite convincingly!

We played the 'Europe' edition of Ticket to Ride which has a few differences between the original version - the original is set on the US rail network.  The European version has a few subtle changes, especially the addition of ferries and tunnels that make it more diffiicult to claim some routes and stations which allow you proxy rights over some rail links. 

I've made it sound an awful lot less fun than it is and if anyone has been made interested by this thread in trying board games again this is the game I would recommend getting.