Author Topic: Double Dutch, Ship of the Fens 200  (Read 19561 times)

Re: Double Dutch, Ship of the Fens 200
« Reply #125 on: 10 April, 2024, 06:48:07 pm »
I cycle the Ely to Littleport road almost daily and it is much better, although the level crossing is frequently closed for 5mins if 2 trains are due.

You can bypass the level crossing via the underpass can’t you?
Not the one at Chettisham. Lots of goods trains because it is a East coast ports to midlands line.

I was thinking Littleport

MsG

• No hills in Fenland but lots of wind
« Reply #126 on: 10 April, 2024, 07:15:15 pm »
Most local cyclists avoid the Branch Bank road between Queen Adelaide and Littleport because of the traffic speeds and number of accidents (one down there at the moment).
I cycle the Ely to Littleport road almost daily and it is much better, although the level crossing is frequently closed for 5mins if 2 trains are due.
Yes I cycled northbound on Monday (Ely - Littleport), it would be easier to count the number of vehicles that didn't close pass me. Probably only go that way a couple of times a year as it's dreadful.
The main part I don't like about the Chettisham road is the really rough tarmac on the bends after the crossing.

MsG

« Reply #127 on: 10 April, 2024, 07:16:46 pm »

You can bypass the level crossing via the underpass can’t you?
Not the one at Chettisham. Lots of goods trains because it is a East coast ports to midlands line.

I was thinking Littleport
There is an underpass there but as Mr Wobbly says you can wsyt awhile at the Chettisham crossing closer to Ely.

GdS

• I have come here to chew carrots and kick ass
« Reply #128 on: 10 April, 2024, 09:15:42 pm »
Not an area I'm that familiar with, did the Ely North curve on a railtour in 1981 (which also did the former March-Spalding line which my other DD route crosses)

I was watching the 2021 Boat Race video which used the section of the river (Great Ouse not Ouse Beeb!)

They mentioned that the river at that point was all man-made, is that true or was it just enlarged rather than diverted?

« Reply #129 on: 11 April, 2024, 06:06:04 pm »
The stretch that the 2021 and 1944 boat race was held on is man made, and dead straight, much like the road along side it, which is why it also gets used like a racetrack…

The course of rivers in the Fens changed much in the past. Try to find satellite views when there aren’t crops and see the sandy, silt ancient riverbeds.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #130 on: 11 April, 2024, 06:48:54 pm »
As of today my audax bike has two working brakes, and I has now entered.

GdS

« Reply #131 on: 11 April, 2024, 08:42:04 pm »
As of today my audax bike has two working brakes, and I has now entered.

Thanks Phil; my TalkTalk webmail has had enough of sending today and is saying "too many recipients" (1) will try sending the route / gpx tomorrow

« Reply #132 on: 12 April, 2024, 09:07:20 am »
Got your event email  :thumbsup:

GdS

« Reply #133 on: 12 April, 2024, 09:20:29 am »
Got your event email  :thumbsup:

but from nhs? had to use that. I suspect sending out 48 BCC has raised concerns at TalkTalk

« Reply #134 on: 12 April, 2024, 09:55:06 am »
Yes your nhs email.

MsG

« Reply #135 on: Yesterday at 03:21:51 pm »
GdS I'm thinking about signing up for this year. Am I correct the route is clockwise?

« Reply #136 on: Yesterday at 06:07:43 pm »
The sequence of controls on the AUK web page for the DD give you a strong hint.
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

MsG

« Reply #137 on: Yesterday at 06:19:16 pm »
That's what I'd presumed but you never know!

GdS

« Reply #138 on: Yesterday at 07:12:06 pm »
That's what I'd presumed but you never know!

Yes clockwise;

The tulip fields open to the public for charity are completely sold out and not on the route (I also expect them to be screened off as they seem to be in a very narrow lane; they are not where they were the previous 2 years)

I'm planning to take the ride past 3 other fields which looked like they would be tulips 3 weeks ago (and have either personally seen them or seen photos at those locations online) but as I live over 100 miles from the start I cannot be sure they will be a. tulips b. out on the day. In any case they are on private land but should be visible from the road  :)

MsG

« Reply #139 on: Today at 06:03:09 pm »
A source found tulip fields on their bike ride today east of Kings Lynn so there’s hope  ;)

Plus allegedly the Busway is nearly clear.

« Reply #140 on: Today at 08:50:54 pm »
@GdS, are you the organiser? Is it possible to get a route file with info controls marked? I am trying to put them myself based on the route sheet. But the route sheet seems rather vague and the distance is probably not exact. For example, for the last one Hemingford Abbots, 198km is already out of the village and on Google Street view there isn't a phone box there. I see a phone box (now a library) at ~196.7km. I am concerned I will miss the info controls or spend too much time looking for them if I don't know their exact location :/

GdS

« Reply #141 on: Today at 08:58:30 pm »
Yes I am the organiser  :)

I sent the control distances and locations out with the GPX and route sheet as I know many people don't use route sheets. The Hemingford Abbots control is by a phone box (which probably isn't one any more). It is slap bang in the middle of the village!

Sorry I've not had much luck embedding controls within the GPX last time I tried people said they couldn't see them

MsG

« Reply #142 on: Today at 09:05:38 pm »
I’ve signed up this evening so will attempt to add the controls to the route file once received :)
What seems to work best is adding them as custom cues, exporting as a fit file and copying across to the Garmin (plugged into computer). A little tedious but also provides a cue sheet.

« Reply #143 on: Today at 09:09:12 pm »
I added the controls for myself here https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/261808609
If others want to use it, I think, this only works for Garmin devices and only using 'send to device'.

I don't take responsibility for misplaced controls! :)

GdS

« Reply #144 on: Today at 09:14:45 pm »
Thanks MsG and dace;

what seems to have evolved since Audax had GPX tracks to follow is that it's often assumed that everything a rider needs to negotiate the route and find conrols is the track. This is not the case! The route sheet shows the exact location of the controls, and the brevet card shows the location and distance (although this is approximate based on mapping software)

The standard format for AUK rides sent to riders is .gpx which is a "vanilla" track with nothing else shown

« Reply #145 on: Today at 09:25:00 pm »
I added the controls for myself here https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/261808609
If others want to use it, I think, this only works for Garmin devices and only using 'send to device'.

I can't ride this year but, for what it's worth, you can download a GPX from that link. Most devices should be able to use that. Use the ellipsis (posh name for three dots) just along from the Send to Device button at the bottom of the screen.

MsG

« Reply #146 on: Today at 09:27:42 pm »
I tend to visit churches on my exploring rides, so am used to adding cues to my routes   :) Will also have a copy of the route sheet in case.
It shares part of the route with my FNRttC Fen Bridges ride so have to make sure not to go off on autopilot the wrong way.

« Reply #147 on: Today at 09:32:30 pm »

I can't ride this year but, for what it's worth, you can download a GPX from that link. Most devices should be able to use that. Use the ellipsis (posh name for three dots) just along from the Send to Device button at the bottom of the screen.

It would only download the plain gpx route, not the control points! To get it with the control points from Garmin Connect, as far as I know, the only way is to 'send it to device'. Maybe it would work if downloaded as .fit file, but I remember some discussion that that did not work - controls were not there.