Author Topic: "Infertility in Elite Cyclists"  (Read 3740 times)

Chris S

"Infertility in Elite Cyclists"
« on: 29 June, 2009, 03:27:31 pm »
BBC NEWS | Health | Elite cyclists 'risk infertility'

Hmm... maybe not just "elite" cyclists; there are plenty of chaps on this board who ride 300+km per week (hell, I did that on Saturday) or more.

Are we firing blanks?

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
Re: "Infertility in Elite Cyclists"
« Reply #1 on: 29 June, 2009, 03:30:16 pm »
BBC NEWS | Health | Elite cyclists 'risk infertility'

Hmm... maybe not just "elite" cyclists; there are plenty of chaps on this board who ride 300+km per week (hell, I did that on Saturday) or more.

Are we firing blanks?

I've got two healthy children. I'm quite happy to be firing blanks from now on. I'd never get any cyling done if we had another one.

A work colleague sent this on to me today. I was quite flattered to be considered an elite cyclist.
Owner of a languishing Langster

border-rider

« Reply #2 on: 29 June, 2009, 03:31:50 pm »
I guess it's similar to the way elite female athletes with punishing training schedules can stop menstruating

I doubt it applies to many of us mere mortals :)

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #3 on: 29 June, 2009, 03:35:46 pm »
Mmmmh,
I have done that sort of mileage for years and have at least 3 healthy children....  :demon:
I really don't think I will trust cycling as a form of contraception....

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 29 June, 2009, 04:02:49 pm »
Are we firing blanks?

I hope I am!  I went through a lot of pain in my private parts to ensure that I was...
Getting there...

« Reply #5 on: 29 June, 2009, 04:34:47 pm »
I'd expect high intensity training to have a detrimental effect on sperm quality. Sperm are made of protein(s) and hours of high intensity training will divert a lot of protein towards muscle/tissue regeneration. The human body is pretty good at shuffling resources around, especially from non-essential subsystems. Sperm only live for 10 days anyway, so the body is constantly recreating them. Heat is also bad for sperm, even 37oC body heat, which is why the testes are not completely internal. So while it may not be good for your current stock, or next 10 days worth, a month off the bike should be back to normal. I'd be very surprised if cycling lots did anything to damage the mechanisms for creating new healthy sperm, and certainly nothing at the genetic level.

Why cycling in particular (given it was a test of triathletes)? Probably because it's easier to do long stints of high intensity training on a bike. Try going for a nice 5 hour "zone 3" swim or run.

The article is a bit misleading, not surprising since it's just tarted up agency copy (googling for the quotes gives hundreds of similar articles on other news sites). It starts off by quoting "less than 4% normal looking sperm", which sounds bad until you find out that "normal" is only 15-20%. The final paragraphs of the article are just speculation. One small study found reduced "normal looking" sperm, other studies had "mixed" results. There's also the: "He added that 40 years ago cycling was much more common but there is no evidence men then were less fertile." quote.

Maybe I'm just grumpy with it as I've been reading Ben Goldacre's Bad Science which does a pretty thorough job of ripping to pieces most journalistic reporting of any scientific issues.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 29 June, 2009, 04:49:00 pm »
I guess it's similar to the way elite female athletes with punishing training schedules can stop menstruating

I am not elite.
I have never been underweight.
I have had menstrual irregularity I associated with cycling 'too much'.

I then changed my riding schedule to allow an 'ovulation break' with 48 hours rest mid-cycle.

Problem sorted.
I am a mere mortal.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #7 on: 29 June, 2009, 04:54:34 pm »

My training schedule has never stopped me menstruating.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Zoidburg

« Reply #8 on: 29 June, 2009, 05:01:48 pm »
Helly is right, it's not just limited to "elite" level athletes - any prolonged change in physical activity levels can mess with the body clock.

Am I alone in my hatred of the term "Elite" when applied to athletes?

It conjures up frankly unsettling images of untouchable "ubermensch", which is plainly untrue. They are human beings just like you and I who have simply set their mind to a particular task.

Zoidburg

« Reply #9 on: 29 June, 2009, 05:09:25 pm »
Well Mdm Pumpe got up the duff this spring pretty much as soon as I blew my beans up her muff, and I was riding at least 280k a week, sometimes 480k.
The milkman was doing a similar distance as well.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #10 on: 29 June, 2009, 05:10:49 pm »
Well Mdm Pumpe got up the duff this spring pretty much as soon as I blew my beans up her muff, and I was riding at least 280k a week, sometimes 480k.
The milkman was doing a similar distance as well.

Touché!    ;D ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #11 on: 29 June, 2009, 05:17:40 pm »
It's hardly f**king touche if there is not an argument going on, Reg.  ::-)

Zoidburg

« Reply #12 on: 29 June, 2009, 05:19:33 pm »
It's hardly f**king touche if there is not an argument going on, Reg.  ::-)

There is now!

Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!...

« Reply #13 on: 29 June, 2009, 05:23:49 pm »
Reg is almost certainly at a loss to know what to type into the Google search box, in order to produce a retort.

« Reply #14 on: 29 June, 2009, 05:24:08 pm »

And they say romance is dead.............

;D

Zoidburg

« Reply #15 on: 29 June, 2009, 05:25:33 pm »
Reg is almost certainly at a loss to know what to type into the Google search box, in order to produce a retort.
You love him really

You can't wait to get naked and solve the argument by wrestling in front of a big roaring fire place.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #16 on: 29 June, 2009, 06:15:10 pm »
I'm ok with that.

I'd just take the precaution of having my anus surgically sealed first.

Spoilsport!   :'( :'(

I've been busy cooking dinner...  :P
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #17 on: 29 June, 2009, 06:37:43 pm »

well, we know you like to come first.
It is simpler than it looks.

alan

« Reply #18 on: 29 June, 2009, 08:36:16 pm »

Are we firing blanks?

I am & have done so for many years.
I hadn't realised that it made me an elite cyclist :thumbsup: ;D

Mind you,if I'm an elite cyclist,the rest of you must be from some extra-terrestial superhuman type planet.
Chocolate kryptonite anyone? :)

Chris S

« Reply #19 on: 29 June, 2009, 08:49:54 pm »

And they say romance is dead.............

;D

You gits - I've just had a Tea-down-the-nose moment  >:(.

;D

Hilarious.

« Reply #20 on: 30 June, 2009, 01:46:58 pm »
I'm ok with that.

I'd just take the precaution of having my anus surgically sealed first.

Spoilsport!   :'( :'(

Don't let him flummox you, Reg.  He's still good for some fellatio.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #21 on: 01 July, 2009, 01:32:36 am »
BBC NEWS | Health | Daily sex 'best for good sperm'

Apparently all those high mileage YACFers with lots of children have good reason to be smug.