Author Topic: R. I. P. David Bowie  (Read 16191 times)

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Re: R. I. P. David Bowie
« Reply #75 on: 11 January, 2016, 07:44:43 pm »
Thank God for 6 Music tonight.   :thumbsup:
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #76 on: 11 January, 2016, 07:48:55 pm »
'Fame' is one of my favourite Bowie tracks. It grew out of a cover of 'Footstompin'. James Brown saw the performance on the Dick Cavett show, and put out  'Hot (I Need To Be Loved)' before 'Fame' made it to the shops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09U7x6YaTMw

David mimed to 'Fame' on Soul Train, which is funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD3etldXtTU

« Reply #77 on: 11 January, 2016, 07:53:06 pm »
Thank God for 6 Music tonight.   :thumbsup:
And everything else they broadcast earlier today  :thumbsup:

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #78 on: 11 January, 2016, 07:56:37 pm »
Bowie played and created some great music. He also was a strange chap and consumer of illegal drugs.  His strangeness created some memorable music moments.

Didn't he go through a Nazi phase?  Also didn't he claim he was part of punk in an an interview or is my mind remembering wrong?  Didn't he write and create an album while on a diet or red peppers and cocaine.

He did say some rather ill-considered stuff in the mid-seventies, when he was having a significant effect on the GDP of Columbia.  But an awful lot of musicians supported the Columbian economy back then, so he was hardly unique in that regard.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #79 on: 11 January, 2016, 08:12:47 pm »
It was his music that spoke to me, not his politics.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #80 on: 11 January, 2016, 08:30:50 pm »
Heard today: "Oh yes I've heard of David Bowie.  He sang that song "White Wedding" didn't he.

;D ;D
Milk please, no sugar.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #81 on: 11 January, 2016, 08:41:26 pm »
I've been trying (not entirely successfully) to explain David Bowie to barakta.  He's kind of a 70s non-shark-jumping answer to Placebo[1], I suppose.

I've referred her to the Wikipeda page, with particular attention to the Ziggy Stardust years, and the 1969-74 Greatest Hits album.

[1] Footnote for Wowbagger:  Briefly popular beat combo from the 1990s, fronted by a cute girl named Brian.  I believe David Bowie was a fan.

« Reply #82 on: 11 January, 2016, 08:57:33 pm »
Bowie was the first performer on ToP that (as I recall) my late mother really disapproved of.  Ziggy Stardust phase.  E remembers him in Beckenham when she was a child there.  Listening at the moment.

red marley

« Reply #83 on: 11 January, 2016, 09:14:29 pm »
The emptiness I feel has taken me by surprise too.

My first record player was from a jumble sale for a pound. The first record I bought for it was Hunky Dory. Which I played and played and played. It remains probably my favourite album of all time.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #84 on: 11 January, 2016, 09:24:34 pm »
I'd forgotten that Robert Fripp, of King Crimson fame, played on Heroes. he looks like a retired West Country bank manager now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlyJ-v871Og

I think today was the first time I'd listened to "Heroes" on anything other than a crappy radio.  There's so much more going on there than I remember from the 1970s.  Possibly something to do what th the presence of a Mr B Eno twiddling the knobs.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #85 on: 11 January, 2016, 09:51:22 pm »
We are playing the discog on random. 24 of 629. We may be some time...
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Andrew

« Reply #86 on: 11 January, 2016, 09:59:25 pm »
Briefly popular beat combo from the 1990s, fronted by a cute girl named Brian.  I believe David Bowie was a fan.

As was I, well first couple of albums anyway. Brian was also a witty performer on Never Mind The Buzzcocks as I recall. But then, it's entirely possible that I was gaga and would have laughed at anything he said. He is gorgeous.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #87 on: 11 January, 2016, 10:22:56 pm »
I did not know his son was that Duncan Jones (From Zowie to Duncan?  Can you get further from Zowie than Duncan I wonder, possibly Norman would have been further).

Moon is a superb film.  His father must have been enormously proud.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #88 on: 11 January, 2016, 10:35:59 pm »
I've been trying (not entirely successfully) to explain David Bowie to barakta.  He's kind of a 70s non-shark-jumping answer to Placebo[1], I suppose.

I've referred her to the Wikipeda page, with particular attention to the Ziggy Stardust years, and the 1969-74 Greatest Hits album.

[1] Footnote for Wowbagger:  Briefly popular beat combo from the 1990s, fronted by a cute girl named Brian.  I believe David Bowie was a fan.

I wasn't going to contribute to this thread, but I find I'm part of it anyway, so here goes.

I saw a Fatbloke post on Facebook this morning, ruing the demise of Ziggy Stardust. I thought "Blimey! They are dropping like flies", not realising that DB was in some way associated with ZS.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #89 on: 11 January, 2016, 10:38:48 pm »
Well, interestingly enough, I'm not sad at all. I feel celebration more than anything else.
I bought and played to complete and utter exhaustion- Hunky Dory, Z Stardust & Aladdin Sane at the time.
What a triology. And those songs - it feels like they're in my DNA now. And the sound of those albums is as contemporary today as it was then.
What a life.
And boy, did hit gold when he found Mick Ronson to play guitar. Genius.
Garry Broad

« Reply #90 on: 11 January, 2016, 10:42:54 pm »
He was among the very few artists who just kept moving forward. Blackstar is a really interesting album

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #91 on: 11 January, 2016, 11:07:11 pm »
I have never been his the biggest fan, I have a best of album and that is it of his stuff. But I have always enjoyed his work and can see/hear his influence in other artist. Today while I played many of his tracks, some for the first time in a long time. It hit me that he have been a big part of my soundtrack and many of his songs means more to me than I really thought. As Von Board said he is part of my DNA. I think I got hit by his stuff twice, heard him in Denmark when I was young and didn't understand english, but still enjoyed the music. Then heard his stuff when I could understand it and understood the meaning (in most) of his songs.

Labyrint and Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence also got to me.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #92 on: 11 January, 2016, 11:12:23 pm »
I have never been his the biggest fan, I have a best of album and that is it of his stuff. But I have always enjoyed his work and can see/hear his influence in other artist. Today while I played many of his tracks, some for the first time in a long time. It hit me that he have been a big part of my soundtrack and many of his songs means more to me than I really thought. As Von Board said he is part of my DNA. I think I got hit by his stuff twice, heard him in Denmark when I was young and didn't understand english, but still enjoyed the music. Then heard his stuff when I could understand it and understood the meaning (in most) of his songs.

Labyrint and Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence also got to me.
Welcome to the spaceship Woolly.
I'm something of a novice here too.
Chances are that you'll be ok.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #93 on: 11 January, 2016, 11:21:06 pm »
RIP Thin White Duke, and all the others.  :'(
It is simpler than it looks.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #94 on: 11 January, 2016, 11:22:26 pm »
Thank, Jurek, honour to be on a ship where you are crew :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #95 on: 11 January, 2016, 11:25:25 pm »
Thank, Jurek, honour to be on a ship where you are crew :)
Tune in to BBC 6 Music, my friend.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #96 on: 11 January, 2016, 11:41:03 pm »
I saw a Fatbloke post on Facebook this morning, ruing the demise of Ziggy Stardust. I thought "Blimey! They are dropping like flies", not realising that DB was in some way associated with ZS.

They were next door neighbours.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #97 on: 11 January, 2016, 11:42:22 pm »

Didn't Bowie write a song about him once?

« Reply #98 on: 11 January, 2016, 11:44:59 pm »

Didn't Bowie write a song about him once?

What? FB?

« Reply #99 on: 12 January, 2016, 12:03:44 am »
Those yacfers who are about my age are feeling it. We were born in the late 50s (and are in our late 50s now).

Bowie was the music of my mid-teens.
Just so.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897