Author Topic: R. I. P. Lemmy  (Read 5868 times)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
R. I. P. Lemmy
« on: 29 December, 2015, 02:49:31 am »
Seen on fb a short time ago.

The original. No substitute.

Sleep well, it won't hurt any more.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
Re: R. I. P. Lemmy
« Reply #1 on: 29 December, 2015, 04:07:54 am »
A legend that lived a rock'n'roll life.
RIP

« Reply #2 on: 29 December, 2015, 08:27:07 am »
Seen on fb a short time ago.

The original. No substitute.

Sleep well, it won't hurt any more.

I woke up to this on the radio. He'll be missed, but (as the band says) it was a vibrant life.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3 on: 29 December, 2015, 08:43:07 am »
Killed by death.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #4 on: 29 December, 2015, 08:50:10 am »
Utterly  . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5 on: 29 December, 2015, 11:05:06 am »
Bugger :'(

DJ Random should have been playing "Ace Of Spades" or "Orgone Accumulator" when I read this, but Stevie Ray Vaughan is an acceptable substitute, I suppose.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #6 on: 29 December, 2015, 11:43:56 am »
Sad news indeed*

*The only real surprise is that he made it to 70.  I expect the only vegetables he consumed were fermented in liquid, until they attained 40% proof, or rolled in a Rizzla and inhaled.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7 on: 29 December, 2015, 11:48:30 am »
I was never a fan of Motorhead or heavy metal in general, but oddly enough I was thinking to myself yesterday "of all the music that was around when you were a teenager, what still sounds like music – as opposed to trendy sounds – a couple of decades on?" And I reckon Lemmy and heavy in general pass that more than a lot of other, more obviously 'musical' stuff.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #8 on: 29 December, 2015, 12:12:21 pm »
DJ Random has just started on "Love Me Forever" from 1916.

Promise me nothing, live 'till we die

Andrew

« Reply #9 on: 29 December, 2015, 12:12:59 pm »
I was never a fan of Motorhead or heavy metal in general

Point of order, Lemmy always said Motorhead weren't heavy metal - though I accept your 'or' might be exclusive and the two are unrelated statements. I always liked the 'amphetamine rock' description myself though would have liked them even if the genre was classed as 'Broadway musicals'.

As a trainee accountant back in the early 80s*, I used to do a payroll. One week I was $10 over. After treble checking pay packets,  I accepted the bank had made a mistake and the money was rightly mine (or so I justified). That money was used to buy 'Ace Of Spades'. I'm not sure my neighbour liked it.

One of a kind was our Lemmy. I've been surprised to read some obits/comments this morning remarking at what an intelligent, erudite man he was - a philosopher even, with a keen sense of social injustice.

*I saw the error of my ways not long after.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #10 on: 29 December, 2015, 12:19:06 pm »
Point of order, Lemmy always said Motorhead weren't heavy metal - though I accept your 'or' might be exclusive and the two are unrelated statements. I always liked the 'amphetamine rock' description myself though would have liked them even if the genre was classed as 'Broadway musicals'.

I have a Several of live Motörhead albums, on most of which Lemuel O'Luftwaffe can be heard to shout "We are Motörhead and we play rock'n'roll!".

DJ Random is now playing a 1989 version of "The Golden Void", on which the bass is decidedly average.  Time to turn him off and crank up "Space Ritual" at lawn-killing volume.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #11 on: 29 December, 2015, 12:23:03 pm »
Time to ... crank up "Space Ritual" at lawn-killing volume.

I'm gonna do this later.

RIP Lemmy.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #12 on: 29 December, 2015, 05:45:09 pm »
I wouldn't have called Motörhead a metal band - apart from when they were recording Orgasmotron, perhaps - they were more a rock'n'roll and blues outfit.

They just played it a little faster and louder than everyone else.  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #13 on: 30 December, 2015, 09:48:24 am »
Lemmy was great. Sorry to se him go. Some great lyrics including the memorable line in Eat The Rich - 'would you like to try my bacon torpedo'. At least I think that is it.
My mum thought he diid a song called 'Ive got a sewing machine'.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #14 on: 30 December, 2015, 10:10:48 am »
"Heavy Metal" ?

The easiest answer is to accept that all genres overlap; most music sits in more than 1 camp.

Led Zep would now perhaps be just called "Rock", but some songs are quite clearly closer to folk.

And of course Led Zep are cited as the original Heavy Metal band in the article that is most widely accepted as the source of the term.

I think in 2015 the layman probably thinks mainly of bands in the Megadeath-Slipknot arc; but if you played Motley Crue to a journalist in 1975 and called them "Heavy Metal", he wouldnt argue with you.

Discuss ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #15 on: 30 December, 2015, 10:11:21 am »
I went to see them about 15 years ago. The first thing that struck me was the audience. I'm not sure I've ever seen such a collection of ne'erdowells in one place. Lemmy got quite irritated at several points during the gig, firstly when he gave a eulogy to a recently deceased Ramone and asked the audience to make some noise to show their respect. The response was a bit half-hearted, possibly because there weren't many Ramone fans about,  and Lemmy spat out some insults including asking if that was "the best you can show for your pathetic lives"

Later on, people were cheering the start of every song because they thought it was the 'Ace of Spades', because every song sounded like the 'Ace of Spades'. Lemmy got pretty grumpy and started shouting "not yet!".

It all struck me as a bit odd. A rocker struggling with being a grumpy middle-aged man, like a sort of warty Victor Meldrew speed addict.

Quite enjoyed the sounds though.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #16 on: 30 December, 2015, 10:25:24 am »

I have a Several of live Motörhead albums, on most of which Lemuel O'Luftwaffe can be heard to shout "We are Motörhead and we play rock'n'roll!".
Fair enough. I am/was sufficiently not a fan to be unaware of the term 'amphetamine rock'. All I know is Motorhead were considered one of the then much derided genre of heavy metal back in my teenage days. But it is indeed all rock n roll.

a sort of warty Victor Meldrew speed addict.
;D :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #17 on: 30 December, 2015, 10:36:04 am »
A friend saw them play his hall of residence party at Reading Uni in about '81 or '82. They turned up with their full 'large gig' PA and set it up. The crowd assembled, the hall filled, the press at the front increased, the hall became jammed, and then, the band stepped on stage. At the first chord the crowd backed off en masse at speed to occupy only the far end of the hall. And there they stayed.

At least, that's the way he tells it.
Rust never sleeps

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #18 on: 30 December, 2015, 10:39:45 am »
I saw them in, I think, 97, Leeds T&C. They were rubbish, it felt like a contractual obligation rather than a gig they wanted to do! On, I saw Terrorvision at the same venue, the following night and they just blew the place away!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #19 on: 30 December, 2015, 11:25:48 am »
I also saw them in '81 (ish) on the Iron Fist tour. I remember walking into the hall (Portsmouth Guildhall) and "marveling" at the size of the PA. Not only was my hearing muffled afterwards, the sensation continued the following day. They were effing brilliant live.

The next time I saw them (same venue), Fast Eddie had left and he'd been replaced by 2 new guitarists. They were still bloody loud so not only could I not hear as well the next day my eyes had been dazzled by the bright lights. Happy days.
Pen Pusher

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #20 on: 30 December, 2015, 11:31:52 am »
"Heavy Metal" ?

The easiest answer is to accept that all genres overlap; most music sits in more than 1 camp.

Led Zep would now perhaps be just called "Rock", but some songs are quite clearly closer to folk.

And of course Led Zep are cited as the original Heavy Metal band in the article that is most widely accepted as the source of the term.

I think in 2015 the layman probably thinks mainly of bands in the Megadeath-Slipknot arc; but if you played Motley Crue to a journalist in 1975 and called them "Heavy Metal", he wouldnt argue with you.

Discuss ...

I've just been reading Joel McIver's book "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath", which contends that Black Sabbath were the prototype for metal, a conclusion with which Bill, Ozzy, Tony & Geezer heartily disagree.  Though Lars Ulrich says when he was a Small it was all Sabbath in his house and he didn't hear Led Zeppelin until much later, and no-one can deny that Metallica are anything other than metal.  Perhaps he should have stuck to the tennis.

My first proper gig was Motörhead at the Lyceum in 1979.  Dr Larrington was forced to accompany me.  "That bloke can't 'arf play the bass" she yelled in my ear on the walk back to Waterloo.  It took about four or five days for our hearing to return to normal.  I saw them a few years later at the Hammy Odeon on a night when they'd borrowed Queen's PA to supplement their own, but I was close to the back so it didn't take as long for me to stop asking people to speak up a bit.  That was just before Christmas and right at the end of the tour so there was much mayhem with custard pies from (We Are) The Road Crew.  It must have been a brave roadie indeed who pied Lemmy in the middle of "Iron Horse/Born To Lose".

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #21 on: 30 December, 2015, 12:48:48 pm »
My story is second hand and probably already been told on here.

A neighbour and sometime denizen of this parish was practising in a studio, when there was an Almighty Noise from another studio.

"Some fucker's left their outer door open again"

off they went to check. it wasn't that, it was Lemmy and the gang, with all the doors shut properly...
It is simpler than it looks.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #22 on: 30 December, 2015, 01:02:03 pm »
IIRC when they played at Port Vale FC, on a stage built entirely from speakers, someone phoned the Old Bill to complain about the noise preventing him from hearing his telly.

He lived five miles from the ground.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #23 on: 30 December, 2015, 01:12:36 pm »
Slightly OT DNA diversion:
(click to show/hide)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #24 on: 30 December, 2015, 02:03:12 pm »
Lemmy wrote the Motorhead song when with Hawkwind, and the lyrics are audible and comprehensible on their version, as well as very sharp.

Third day of a five-day marathon
We're moving like a parallelogram
Man I should be tired
But I'm already wired.
Ain't felt this good for an hour!

Going up like prices at Christmas

I was playing the Space Ritual on my earphones of DETH a couple of months ago, and it was amazing to pick out exactly how melodic his bass playing was, on apparently brain-out rockers like 'Orgone Accumulator'. All I will say about him is a quote from one of his own songs, off Doremi Fasol Latido:

This is the end now...
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i