Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The Knowledge / Re: Resurrection project
« Last post by ravenbait on Today at 03:48:00 pm »
I am not too far away from you (Blairgowrie) and have a range of older mtb bits that are 'free to a good home'. PM me if interested and you could come and have a rummage and take what you need.

That's really kind of you. I need to get a chest x-ray for a persistent lung problem (probably just don't get on with my current meds) before I mix with people, but I will let you know.

Sam
Further and Faster / Re: Zwifting - I think I need help!
« Last post by Legs on Today at 03:46:18 pm »
Lots of action on the Zwift fora today about the impending new Japanese roads...
Arts and Entertainment / Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Last post by ravenbait on Today at 03:46:03 pm »
Just finished Dan Simmons's Hyperion, which was one of the best things I've read in ages. Guess I'll have to get the next one in the series.

Just started Maria Dahvana Headley's Beowulf.
Sam
I have that on my Amazon wishlist. Have you read enough yet to form an opinion? It's the feminist version of the poem and had good reviews but then so did Heaney's Beowulf and I didn't enjoy that.

Bro! Tell me we still know how to speak of kings! In the old days,
everyone knew what men were: brave, bold, glory-bound. Only
stories now, but I'll sound the Spear-Danes' song, hoarded for
hungry times.

Their first father was a foundling: Scyld Scefing.
He spent his youth fists up, browbeating every barstool-brother,
bonfiring his enemies. That man began in the waves, a baby in
a basket,
but he bootstrapped his way into a kingdom, trading loneliness
for luxury. Whether they thought kneeling necessary or no,
everyone from head to tail of the whale-road bent down:
There's a king, there's his crown!
That was a good king.

I am enjoying it immensely, but if you prefer your translation not to sound like an assertive street kid performing it as a kind of rap, it might not be for you.

Sam
The Dark Side / Re: Sun ez3 stolen
« Last post by Polar Bear on Today at 03:44:54 pm »
I informed that I had recovered it and some children said they had seen police speaking to the boy in the previous evening. The police had however not shown the slightest interest in looking for it so I don't see any point in pursuing the matter. I am just glad that we have got it back  :)

We're all very pleased that it has returned too.  Was there any damage at all?
The Dark Side / Re: Sun ez3 stolen
« Last post by Recumbyduff on Today at 03:38:51 pm »
Lovely to hear that it was recovered. I always think that anybody nicking a bent will seriously struggle to sell it without it sticking out like a sore thumb on fleabay. I'm sure that doesn't stop your average scumbag.
OT Knowledge / Re: Today's scam...
« Last post by rafletcher on Today at 03:36:07 pm »
A first for me, a text from a mobile number claiming "Hermes:We wasn't (sic) able to deliver your parcel today, to reschedule redelivery...." with a link to click. 
The Pub / Re: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)
« Last post by hatler on Today at 03:32:34 pm »
They can FRO.
The Pub / Re: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)
« Last post by Tim Hall on Today at 03:28:22 pm »
Seen on a website today:

Did someone help you today? Press the Thumbs up icon on the bottom right thank them with a Kudo!

A Kudo. FFS.
The Pub / Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Last post by Regulator on Today at 03:23:25 pm »
Mrs. B.  Yes, all Ceredigion Council car parks are free during the pandemic.  (No, I've no idea why either)
However,  the car park at llangrannog is privately owned and is still charging.  It also has number plate recognition technology as the sign clearly states.
I wasn't pleased to receive a demand for £100 £60 in the post this morning.

Many councils suspended parking charges so that they didn't have to handle the coins (or that was their excuse).
The Pub / Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Last post by Feanor on Today at 03:11:05 pm »
Some routers will automagically channel-hop to confuse the enemy find a quiet channel.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10