Author Topic: Zwifting - I think I need help!  (Read 75316 times)

Re: Zwifting - I think I need help!
« Reply #375 on: 17 May, 2021, 10:26:39 am »
Ripping the pedal out of the left crank?  What does that mean?  Is it an in-game glitch?

« Reply #376 on: 17 May, 2021, 11:56:33 am »
Forgot it was reverse-threaded and own strength?
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #377 on: 17 May, 2021, 12:08:18 pm »
Ripping the pedal out of the left crank?  What does that mean?  Is it an in-game glitch?

I presume it was an ultra-realistic glitch.

« Reply #378 on: 17 May, 2021, 04:42:38 pm »
Forgot it was reverse-threaded and own strength?
No. Last year I had a go at a couple of pairs of pedals that hadn't been shifted for years. I removed them, some with a lot of difficulty, cleaned up the threads, and put them back with copper grease. I suspect that that process removed too much thread in this case. Should have left it alone!

« Reply #379 on: 17 May, 2021, 05:55:39 pm »
Ah, commiserations!  It was the use of the words ‘Zwift garage’ that threw me...

« Reply #380 on: 17 May, 2021, 06:40:21 pm »
Shouldn't the Half Pretzel be done on one leg anyway?

"The Half Pretzel" always reminds me of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu9GteQWh38
The Big Yin, so NSFW ;)
Back in the saddle :)

« Reply #381 on: 17 May, 2021, 07:06:44 pm »
Ah, commiserations!  It was the use of the words ‘Zwift garage’ that threw me...
It was a joke. Obviously, if your pedal's coming off when you're Zwifting, no amount of spare bikes in your garage is going to help.

« Reply #382 on: 18 May, 2021, 03:46:18 pm »
Lots of action on the Zwift fora today about the impending new Japanese roads...

« Reply #383 on: 18 May, 2021, 08:20:26 pm »
Went out for a real ride yesterday, on a route I do occasionally, about 28 miles. The proof that Zwifting for the past year-ish has helped my cycling was the 34 gold PR medals on Strava when I uploaded it  :o  :D
I think I've added about 3mph overall, my flat speed has increased drastically to comfortably over 20mph a lot of the time... still a bit poor at climbing (see previous post about grinding  slowly up the Alpe!) and careful descending, so I don't gain as much on the downs as I lose on the ups  ;D

« Reply #384 on: 19 May, 2021, 08:51:07 am »
 :thumbsup:
Nice one.

I've been Zwifting since January and my first event was a TdZ ride where I was breathing out of my ears to do 3W/kg for just over half an hour.  Now I've raised my FTP by 50W, upgraded to A category and last night was doing pulls of 4.7W/kg in a ZRL TTT.  My everyday fitness and health is noticeably better.

I haven't ridden IRL, except with my children, since 29 September 2020!  My youngest is just 4 and is pretty proficient on his Islabike Cnoc - we did 5 miles in just over 40 minutes at the weekend around country lanes!  I ride my wife's gas-pipe hybrid which allows me to do swift dismounts and give him a gentle push up some of the steeper and longer inclines  ;D

gibbo

• Riding for fun, cake and beer.
    • Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #385 on: 19 May, 2021, 02:26:26 pm »
Nice one.

My youngest is just 4 and is pretty proficient on his Islabike Cnoc - we did 5 miles in just over 40 minutes at the weekend around country lanes! 

I thought the way this sentence was going was "My youngest is just 4 and is pretty proficient on his Islabike Cnoc - we did 5 miles in just over 40 minutes at the weekend around country lanes and I beasted him..."  ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #386 on: 19 May, 2021, 05:41:27 pm »
Has Zwift suddenly started supplying more data about the ride at the end in terms of training impulse, etc or have I just not noticed?

(Unlocked the Emonda today.  Same as my bike!)

« Reply #387 on: 19 May, 2021, 05:48:25 pm »
Nice one.

My youngest is just 4 and is pretty proficient on his Islabike Cnoc - we did 5 miles in just over 40 minutes at the weekend around country lanes! 

I thought the way this sentence was going was "My youngest is just 4 and is pretty proficient on his Islabike Cnoc - we did 5 miles in just over 40 minutes at the weekend around country lanes and I beasted him..."  ;D ;D ;D
Even I would consider that to be unsportsmanlike...

« Reply #388 on: 19 May, 2021, 06:30:49 pm »
Nice one.

Even I would consider that to be unsportsmanlike...

Give it a couple of years and it will be "and he beasted me".

« Reply #389 on: 19 May, 2021, 09:35:36 pm »
That workout just very specifically sets you up for your best sprint performance (and is really quite boring otherwise) so might be worth a go one day when you're feeling strong.
I’m going to try out that workout some time to try for 1100W - I reached past 1050 last night while warming up for my ZRL event.

I’ve never done a workout that involved ‘free ride’ sectors yet.  What happens to the resistance when you’re doing that?  I normally do workouts in erg mode but that obviously doesn’t cope well with sudden and big changes in power.  Does the resistance in a free ride take the form of the terrain you’re riding?  If so, would it be good to do that sprint workout on AdZ to help get the power out?

« Reply #390 on: 19 May, 2021, 10:12:42 pm »

I’ve never done a workout that involved ‘free ride’ sectors yet.  What happens to the resistance when you’re doing that?  I normally do workouts in erg mode but that obviously doesn’t cope well with sudden and big changes in power.  Does the resistance in a free ride take the form of the terrain you’re riding?  If so, would it be good to do that sprint workout on AdZ to help get the power out?

I'm not entirely sure I got it cracked exactly right... best done using the companion app, I think IIRC... on the workout screen, there's a small box where you can turn ERG off and if you do that, it's replaced by an incline slider, so  think you go from ERG to 0% grade, then you can set the slider to the grade you like to pedal against. But I could be wrong! ;)

« Reply #391 on: 20 May, 2021, 05:45:48 pm »
Thanks, Defblade.

« Reply #392 on: 20 May, 2021, 05:48:29 pm »
Anyone ridden Makuri yet?  I worldhacked last night and I must say, it looks gorgeous.  There have been hints aplenty that there’s more expansion of this new world in the pipeline... (but I’m not holding my breath!)

gibbo

• Riding for fun, cake and beer.
    • Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #393 on: 20 May, 2021, 05:55:51 pm »
Anyone ridden Makuri yet?  I worldhacked last night and I must say, it looks gorgeous.  There have been hints aplenty that there’s more expansion of this new world in the pipeline... (but I’m not holding my breath!)
Yep, just completed two routes.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #394 on: 24 May, 2021, 08:06:34 pm »
Stupidly excited about the last ZRL (Zwift Racing League) event of the series tomorrow - it's on Surrey Hills, so it packs more than 1000m of climbing into 46km.  If you sort the riders in my division by 20 min W/kg, I'm top of the list, but unfortunately there are no prizes for being the winner on paper!

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #395 on: 24 May, 2021, 11:03:39 pm »

Yes, did one of the routes. Looks pretty!

« Reply #396 on: 24 May, 2021, 11:22:02 pm »
I've done the countryside tour, to get a view of the whole place, and because the routes are all so short that I started with the longest. Then I did the sea to tree, to get the shortest one off my to-do list. It is at least mostly up a fair hill, so takes longer than you'd think. However, both routes spend a fair time off-road, which doesn't particularly grab me, any more than the jungle circuit in Watopia - or rather, I like the routes, but I'd just as soon tarmac them, and get rid of the pseudo-off-road effect and the feeling that I really ought to bother changing bikes.

« Reply #397 on: 25 May, 2021, 06:58:29 am »
I got an upgrade to the Emonda and some new wheels and then did “Sea to Tree “. Do you think I should get it serviced in case the dust and gravel have damaged it?

« Reply #398 on: 25 May, 2021, 08:38:47 am »
Gravel bike is going to be the fastest on Sea to Tree.
https://zwiftinsider.com/yumezi-bike-choice/

« Reply #399 on: 25 May, 2021, 08:47:09 am »
I got an upgrade to the Emonda and some new wheels and then did “Sea to Tree “. Do you think I should get it serviced in case the dust and gravel have damaged it?
You do worry don't you. But I'm still trying to figure out whether carrying a gravel bike on my back along the road sections of the countryside loop would be worthwhile and, if I then dump the road bike in the hedge when I swap, it will still be there when I get back.