General Category > Racing

Cavendish to retire soon?

(1/50) > >>

rafletcher:
What a sad ending to a great career.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mark-cavendish-hints-at-early-retirement-after-gent-wevelgem/

Hot Flatus:
If it is, it's been a long time coming. Crash injuries and Glandular fever robbed him of his twilight years, sadly.

mzjo:

--- Quote from: Hot Flatus on 12 October, 2020, 08:18:03 pm ---If it is, it's been a long time coming. Crash injuries and Glandular fever robbed him of his twilight years, sadly.

--- End quote ---

He's 35 so it isn't really that early a retirement and he has had a pretty good innings. It's just the disappointment, letdown perhaps, of the last two or three years when he might have expected to roll out in style with a bit of a fanfare instead of the damp squid - and the feeling of a job not quite finished.

He was one of the few pro riders that I would switch on the tele to watch. My daughters, who wouldn't watch a cycle race in the ordinary way, were particular fans! Perhaps he'll do a bit more track, just for us!

freeflow:
Cavendish lost his edge way before he got glandular fever.  Too many nasty crashes and then kiddies arrived on the scene.  Its only a small change in perception but it takes away the edge.

rafletcher:
In my mind, the crash in Yorkshire was the beginning of the end. He may have let his heart rule his head (That crash trying to win from a poor position, going to Sky who were never going to support a sprinter in any meaningful way) but that's what makes a passionate man.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version