General Category > Freewheeling

Average riding speed and body weight

<< < (2/11) > >>

Andy W:
Well done on getting out on your bike.  And really well done on losing so much weight, a huge achievement.  I note you've been running a fair bit which will keep your cardiovascular system in good condition, but cycling uses very different neuromuscular systems. Give yourself at least 10 rides out over 3 weeks and I'm sure you'll be quicker.  Another thing is the route you take. You may get baulked by traffic, road layout and topography.
Yours is a good news storey. Mods, relocate this post. Thumbs up here and good luck. Remember,  N plus 1 Newbike awaits

Duckfoot1606:
Firstly congrats on the weight loss, that’s a heck of an achievement! I’ve been cycling much more since the pandemic struck and although I’ve lost some weight (a few kg, nothing like the 25kg you have achieved) in all honesty I can’t say I noticed any real difference in speed across much the same terrain as I normally ride on. My average speed is a plodding 13-14mph and I’d say it’s easier to consistently achieve those speeds now. The other day I thought I’d give it a real go and the result was 14.5 and I arrived home dripping in sweat. Curiously enough, when I go out on my Audax bike (about 3kg lighter than my Croix de Fer) I achieve much the same type of speed improvement but with far less effort but I still haven’t managed to break or even get near to the 15mph level. I think there is a strong law of diminishing returns on this topic  :thumbsup:

A

De Sisti:

--- Quote from: Kim on 01 July, 2021, 10:51:07 pm ---'You don't go any faster, it just gets easier' :-)
Over the last few years I've gone from almost 90kg to low-60s,

--- End quote ---
That's remarkable! :thumbsup:  Over how many years? Pretty much eating less and exercising more.

TimC:
Peter, well done on losing the weight. But, in doing so, you will also have lost a considerable amount of muscle and, unless you were doing a significant amount of other strength-developing exercise, your ability to move yourself and your bike will have stayed the same or - given that you haven't been riding much - will have reduced. As you have a long history of riding bikes, it shouldn't take long to get some cycling form back, but if you want to be significantly quicker you're going to have to train for it.

Kim:

--- Quote from: De Sisti on 02 July, 2021, 09:00:00 am ---
--- Quote from: Kim on 01 July, 2021, 10:51:07 pm ---'You don't go any faster, it just gets easier' :-)
Over the last few years I've gone from almost 90kg to low-60s,

--- End quote ---
That's remarkable! :thumbsup:  Over how many years? Pretty much eating less and exercising more.

--- End quote ---

Not sure, because I wasn't in the habit of measuring my weight until I noticed how skinny I was in 2020.  My mileage went up a lot in 2019 due to sorting out the bio-mechanical problems that were causing Achilles pain.

But mostly it's the stress of the rise of fascism (as a queer person with disabled family, this shit is real), compounded by the pandemic.  Not all weight loss is good, and I certainly trend towards the anorexic end of the spectrum.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version