General Category > Further and Faster

Stuffed by age and homeworking

(1/7) > >>

mrcharly-YHT:
Homeworking sounds great, in theory.
One of the major downsides is that you end up very very unfit. Hardly every leaving the desk, none of the cycling/walking in a commute to work; heck, not even walking between meeting rooms (raging at Zoom/Teams failing to connect, while it raises heart rate, does nothing for fitness).

So I'm getting older, but not over 60 yet.

Just seems I can't get my fitness back. Injuries block me from kayaking (bum shoulder). Lost all motivation to run, I'd have to start from scratch. Gym is difficult (bum shoulder) and is 10 miles away. I'm trying to cycle at least 3 times a week, with a 3hr ride on Sundays. Even that is proving difficult to achieve.

I guess if my shoulder wasn't stuffed, I'd be doing my old maintenance exercises and getting out kayaking, buut.

Manage nearly 3hrs today, slogging into a headwind for half of it. Although I tried not to do a hard ride, my heart rate still averaged 145 (which is a bit high really).

I think I need an exercise app, something that bleeps at me to tell me to get off my chair and run up and down the stairs, do 20 crunches or planks or sometime.

ScumOfTheRoad:
mrchrly, I am in a similar situation. Not yet 60 and worked from home for the last 3 years, all through lockdown etc.
However I add lots of business travel over the years, to client sites.
Maybe we need to form a 'club' on here for mutual support?

My whnes about business travel are that it makes it difficult to have a decent diet - you end up eating chips and drinking to cheer yourself up and having full breakfasts. Also the early starts and late coming home have done me no good.

Regarding injuries I am very concious of an injury starting a person on the slippery slope of being unwilling or unable to exercise, or indeed leave the house.
In my case I injured my back moving boxes of wood flooring, and some days it is quite agonising and I find it difficult to put my shoes on and indeed cut my toenails. 
I am doing a course of private physio which is costing me a fortune.

One other thing is buses - I find I now wait till the bus comes to a halt before getting up, as I feel that one day I will be unstable. Also  I get offered seats on the Tube...

FifeingEejit:

--- Quote from: mrcharly-YHT on 15 October, 2023, 05:46:05 pm ---Manage nearly 3hrs today, slogging into a headwind for half of it. Although I tried not to do a hard ride, my heart rate still averaged 145 (which is a bit high really).

--- End quote ---

The headwinds are stronger where you live now.

rafletcher:
Have you considered a smart trainer and an associated app to do some virtual cycling?  If you have the space to set up inside the house, so no need to trek to a cold damp shed/barn the motivation is easier. I’d also venture that you find it difficult to separate work and home, or put a stop to work and turn off. A Wattbike plus FulGaz subscription might work (other smart trainers are available of course).

mrcharly-YHT:
That's not a bad suggestion, although I'd be more inclined to get a rowing machine for a more all-round workout.

A lot of me is reluctant, since I moved here partly to be able to get outdoors more.

Can't blame Hebridean wind for exhaustion today, it was only blowing 20-25mph

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version