General Category > Further and Faster

Electric bikes chains v Gates drive and IGH

(1/4) > >>

Canardly:
Retired friends of mine having electric bikes often complain about the frequent servicing requirements for replacement sprockets and chains. The obvious alternative is a Gates belt drive and internal gear hub. Are there any strong opinions out there either way?

T42:
Hub motors don't put heavy stress on transmissions. My current cassette has 12,486 km on it and the two chains I alternate between have ~6000 and 8000 km respectively. Wax lube, swapped over every 500-700 km and I suspect the km for one got added to the other and they're on ~7000 each.  Chain stretch is under 0.5% according to Park's wee bit of metal.

Using a mid-drive motor and not pedalling very hard is probably the culprit.

Kim:
Surprising how few high-end mid-drive e-bikes (the sort of thing that have electronically-shifted[1] Alfine or Enviolo hub gears) don't use belt drive.  They're already making a custom frame for the motor and battery, so you'd think a wossname for the belt would be easy.

[1] There's a lot to be said for the motor controller knowing when you're changing gear, as it can back off the power to reduce stress on the drivetrain.

yoav:
I'd say if you can afford the extra for a hub gear/belt drive combo on your eBike then go for it. That is, unless low weight is your priority. The latest carbon frame eBikes with derailleur gears are about 12kg whereas an aluminium eBike with a hub gear is around 20kg.

hubner:
Aren't Gates belt drive replacement parts really expensive compared with chains and sprockets? And they're proprietary.

The main attraction of a belt drive is no dirty chain, but then IMO a hub gear with a fully enclosed chaincase ought to be more suitable for an utility ebike.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version