Author Topic: Bread  (Read 5376 times)

Bread
« on: 22 April, 2008, 12:12:37 pm »
I haven't made any for several months, but last night I felt the urge. I don't know if this pic, still hot from the oven, does the result justice, but it tasted good.

Chris S

Re: Bread
« Reply #1 on: 22 April, 2008, 12:14:42 pm »
Wow - it looks like it's come out pre-toasted; neat idea!

Yum... I can almost smell it from here...

Lunchtime!

« Reply #2 on: 22 April, 2008, 12:23:23 pm »
Wow - it looks like it's come out pre-toasted; neat idea!

Trick of the camera. It was actually still steaming. I'm making myself feel hungry now.

Elleigh

« Reply #3 on: 22 April, 2008, 12:25:14 pm »
Hmmm that looks wonderful.  You are making me hungry!

I always have trouble with whole wheat bread, but yours looks great.  Any tips?

rr

« Reply #4 on: 22 April, 2008, 12:54:37 pm »

Vit C

« Reply #5 on: 22 April, 2008, 01:03:37 pm »

Yes: cheat. Mine is not quite half white flour. Recipe is a bit vague, I'm afraid, because I don't weigh anything. Ingredients (can vary):-
  • A bit more than half a bag of flour, roughly half and half strong white and organic wholemeal.
  • Handful of sesame seeds
  • Just less than a level teaspoon of salt
  • Tablespoon of black treacle
  • One egg
  • Dribble of olive oil
  • Heaped teaspoon of dried yeast
  • Enough water

Chris S

« Reply #6 on: 22 April, 2008, 02:34:12 pm »
 ::-)

#1 Son is a chef. This reads like one of his recipes.

Some flour
Some salt
Some other stuff
Add water until it looks right
Stir
Cook
Serve

I think it goes back to when some kids knicked his phone on the school bus home one day, and reprogrammed his contact list so it read:

Someone
Someone else
A different person
Anyone
My friend... etc

Edit: Forgot the bit to tenuously keep this reply on topic - Vit C does help improve consistency, but I have problems with wholewheat bread coming out way too dense.

Chris N

« Reply #7 on: 22 April, 2008, 02:43:52 pm »
Yum.  I don't use just wholewheat flour either, but mix white and granary.  If you're using just wholewheat, you'll probably need a bit more yeast (or time) and a bit more water.  I use more olive oil too - about 4 tbsp (several glugs, rather than a dribble).  Not that I mind - I really like dense bread.

« Reply #8 on: 22 April, 2008, 03:22:21 pm »
The actual making, the way I do it, is a bit laborious.

Mix all the dry ingredients plus the treacle, oil, and egg.

Separately mix the yeast, warm water, a pinch of sugar,and a bit of flour, and let it ferment for a while (ideally until it goes frothy, but that's not essential).

Add the liquid to the dry ingredients and roughly knead together. Leave for a while, then start kneading in earnest. There's a wide range of acceptable consistencies, but drier is easier to handle and the loaf will keep its shape better. Add warm water to suit.

The dough should start kneading cleanly (not sticking to your hands). Wipe olive oil over the dough ball, cover loosely (I use cling film) and leave somewhere warm to rise to around 3 to 4 times its size.

Prepare whatever you're going to bake it in (bread tin, tray, oven dish), gently punch the dough down, and put it in its final receptacle. Start the oven on around 170C (or gas 7).

Once the dough has risen to around twice the size it was when punched, stick it in the oven for 45 mins. After 5 mins turn the temperature down to 150C (gas 5/6).

When it's finished tap it out of the tin and stand it on a rack to cool (the bottom might go soggy if it's left on a flat surface).

Optional extras: brush with beaten egg or with milk before baking. Add sunflower seeds or any interesting extra ingredients to the dough. Use honey instead of treacle (or just sugar).

sas

• Penguin power
    • My Flickr Photos
« Reply #9 on: 22 April, 2008, 08:48:03 pm »
When I can be bothered, I hand-make bread using 50% wholewheat and 50% white flour, with a bit of salt and a packet of yeast. Add liquid (50% boiled milk, 50% cold water, a bit of honey), knead well, leave to rise for an hour (or in the fridge overnight).

After it's risen once, knead again incorporating random stuff (sundried tomatoes, onion, garlic, cheese, seeds, whatever takes your fancy), and shape into rolls on a greased baking sheet. Leave in the oven to rise again with a bowl of hot water in the bottom to keep it humid. Go out for a long bike ride (few hours).

When you get back remove the bowl of water and turn on the oven. Have a shower while it's baking, then eat :).
I am nothing and should be everything

« Reply #10 on: 23 April, 2008, 09:00:52 am »
I use 50/50 of wholemeal and granary :P

gonzo

« Reply #11 on: 23 April, 2008, 01:19:24 pm »
#1 Son is a chef. This reads like one of his recipes.

Some flour
Some salt
Some other stuff (bicarb of soad?)
Add water until it looks right
Stir
Cook
Serve

Great recipe; that's the basis I use for most of my bread. Flatten it and cook it for 12 mins and you've got a pizza base. Put it in a bread tin and cook for 40 mins and you've got a loaf of bread.

Yesterday I tried sausage bread; whiz above ingredients up in a kenwood but chuck in 4 de-skinned sausages per loaf. Cook for 40 mins. Yesterday it was served with beans, today I had it toasted then dunked in brown sauce. Hmmmm.

« Reply #12 on: 23 April, 2008, 01:26:51 pm »
Well everybody knows my ineptitude when regarding anything that's supposed to have an end result.  Soooo....

Can anybody recommend a decent Bread Maker?

I remember my Aunt's in New Zealand and thought it was excellent.  Weigh out ingredients into bucket and go to bed.  Get up in the morning to find a loaf of bread.

« Reply #13 on: 23 April, 2008, 01:30:25 pm »
Making bread with a bread-maker is like audaxing on a moped.

The only ones I've seen seem to leave a hole in the bottom of the loaf where the kneading thingy goes.

gonzo

« Reply #14 on: 23 April, 2008, 01:38:05 pm »
Well everybody knows my ineptitude when regarding anything that's supposed to have an end result.  Soooo....

Easy bread recipe for you nutty;
Mix the following together
500g flour
Pinch salt
Teaspoon of bicarb of soda

Then add about 1/2 a cup of water (average coffe mug will work nicely)
Mix that together
Add milk a bit at a time until the mixture sticks to itself but not the bowl.
If it becomes too sticky, add some flour

Put in a bread tin (or cake tin) in oven at 180° for 40 minutes.

You can make a pizza base with this recipe too; just use half quantities and put on a non-stick baking tray (teflon sheets are ideal if you've got one). Once it's on the tray, get your hands wet and push the dough into a pizza shape. If your hands start sticking to the bread, wet your hands again.

Put this in the over for about 12 minutes.

« Reply #15 on: 23 April, 2008, 01:40:44 pm »
Making bread with a bread-maker is like audaxing on a moped.

Well at the moment I'm just buying it in the supermarket, so I suppose that could be considered being chauffeured around an Audax in an air conditioned refreshment equipped limo.  Let's at least get to the moped stage before we go to the full sleeping in a muddy ditch stage.

The only ones I've seen seem to leave a hole in the bottom of the loaf where the kneading thingy goes.

The one above left just a tiny hole in the end crust.  That crust was still edible, although I know many people don't bother eating either end crust on a typical loaf.

« Reply #16 on: 23 April, 2008, 01:42:13 pm »

Easy bread recipe for you nutty;
Mix the following together
500g flour
Pinch salt

Then add about 1/2 a cup of water (average coffe mug will work nicely)
Mix that together
Add milk a bit at a time until the mixture sticks to itself but not the bowl.
If it becomes too sticky, add some flour

Put in a bread tin (or cake tin) in oven at 180° for 40 minutes.

errr.... aren't you supposed to have yeast in there?  That's not bread that's just a floury stodge ???

...You can make a pizza base with this recipe too; just use half quantities and put on a non-stick baking tray (teflon sheets are ideal if you've got one). Once it's on the tray, get your hands wet and push the dough into a pizza shape. If your hands start sticking to the bread, wet your hands again.

Put this in the over for about 12 minutes.

I'm still trying to recover from the memories of our last pizzas.  Topping on doughy goo.  :sick:

« Reply #17 on: 23 April, 2008, 01:43:01 pm »
The one above left just a tiny hole in the end crust.
Does bagels too eh?  ;)

« Reply #18 on: 23 April, 2008, 01:47:26 pm »

errr.... aren't you supposed to have yeast in there?  That's not bread that's just a floury stodge ???

It's soda bread. Not quite the same as yeast bread, but palatable.

« Reply #19 on: 23 April, 2008, 01:56:26 pm »

The one above left just a tiny hole in the end crust. 

I looked quite hard for that link...

« Reply #20 on: 23 April, 2008, 02:01:07 pm »
Sorry Ian  :-[   I didn't realise how my reference to my earlier post would look :'(

I'd better shut up now.

(Mind you, your post did make me laugh ;D)

« Reply #21 on: 23 April, 2008, 02:41:37 pm »
Sorry Ian  :-[   I didn't realise how my reference to my earlier post would look :'(

Oh I am being very thick. It's not a reference to that nail through your hand after all.

gonzo

« Reply #22 on: 23 April, 2008, 02:55:13 pm »
It's soda bread. Not quite the same as yeast bread, but palatable.

I haven't bought a loaf of bread for about 3 years; I've had soda bread for most of that time and I've now got used to it which is very handy as it makes bread in food both quick and easy! Plus it makes things like baguettes a real treat!

rr

« Reply #23 on: 01 July, 2008, 11:57:01 am »

I remember my Aunt's in New Zealand and thought it was excellent.  Weigh out ingredients into bucket and go to bed.  Get up in the morning to find a loaf of bread.

Panasonic one is good

« Reply #24 on: 01 July, 2008, 05:48:19 pm »
Model?

Link?

Ta  :thumbsup: