Author Topic: The cost of healthy eating  (Read 5937 times)

Julian

• samoture
Re: The cost of healthy eating
« Reply #25 on: 27 June, 2008, 10:43:38 am »
It can't be that geeky; I understood it.

« Reply #26 on: 27 June, 2008, 04:36:43 pm »
I just assumed it was a series of typos.

« Reply #27 on: 27 June, 2008, 06:24:57 pm »
1,$s/Alpen/Muesli_Of_Choice/g

Is that a yACF first?

[/quote]

No, and I would have said:-

%s/Alpen/Museli_Of_Choice/

% is more succinct than 1,$ and g is unnecessary because there was only one occurrence of Alpen on any one line.

</geek>
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #28 on: 27 June, 2008, 10:01:45 pm »

I haven't a clue what you lot are on about, but I thought breakfast was something you had at home before you went to work, in which case the selection and the prices in the works canteen are entirely irrelevant.  :)

« Reply #29 on: 27 June, 2008, 10:18:19 pm »
I used to make museli for several different companies (but not Alpen) as a second job, and can confirm that most museli is around 10% sugar unless it has a high fruit content (Because of the sugars in the fruit).

Lidl's luxury fruit & nut museli is the one I currantly go for.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #30 on: 29 June, 2008, 03:08:43 am »
Just skip breakfast, I keep salad stuff in the fridge and even grow my own mung bean sprouts, with rye bread and nut butter for lunch.  Probably <£1.50 till supper.

Eating a good and hearty breakfast is very good for you. It's probably the very best way of keeping your weight down or losing weight.
It increases your metabolism. Eat enough for breakfast that you'll only need to top up, rather than feed during the day.
Even a good fry up is good. You know when you've eaten enough.
I'd do the fry up when B&Bing any day. More calories per £1 and less time(miles) lost for feeding later on.
Except for Travel Inn, "Eat all you like" breakfasts, where the continental is £2.50 or so cheaper than the fry up. You only get a small fry up and you can only eat as much as you like of the continental breakfast stuff. I got caught out once, thinking I could gorge myself on sausages and black pudding before setting off for a few hundred miles. I only have the continental option now and stuff half a dozen or so croissants down my belly, among other delights.

I have lost a lot of weight by reaaranging my eating habits. Infact tis all backwards. Big breakfast, small lunch and small dinner rather than no/small breakkie, quite big lunch, quite big dinner. With the new stuff, I don't feel so hungry during the day and less peckish :)

Sam
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #31 on: 04 July, 2008, 08:39:07 am »
<snip>
2 sausages, 2 hash browns, 1 fried egg, baked beans (or 2 tomatoes), and 2 slices of buttered toast
It's canteen food so the sausages are probably mostly rusk, you don't want to think about the other ingredients,  so maybe just view them as fried or grilled muesli with *cough* unspecified protein replacing the nuts?  :)
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #32 on: 07 July, 2008, 06:36:49 am »

So WTF does it actually mean? That you'd pay $1 for Alpen cos it's your muesli of choice?

We get "free" breakfast at work. This morning it was masala dosas and a rice-with-peanuts-mustard-seeds-etc thing. But I usually have breakfast at home as well as this.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #33 on: 08 July, 2008, 11:26:04 pm »

So WTF does it actually mean? That you'd pay $1 for Alpen cos it's your muesli of choice?

It's a command string used within an UNIX editor called vi, or a command line string processor called sed.

The first bit "1,$" specifies a range of lines; from line 1 (the first line) to (,) line $ (or the last line). In other words, over the entire bit of text (which, in context, would mean the posters original/previous post).

Over that range of lines, perform the following action:-

s(ubstitute) the first occurrence on each line of the string "Alpen" with the string "Museli_Of_Choice". The first character after the s (a forward slash / in this case) is used as the delimiter of the two strings. This could have been anything that doesn't occur in either of the two strings (or if it did occur it would need to be escaped with a preceeding backslash).

The trailling g modifier forces the substitution to take place for subsequent string matches on each line, rather than just the first on each line. Just in case it occurs more than once on each line.

In other words, it's sed/vi speak for "OK, replace every occurrence of Alpen with Museli_Of_Choice".

Translated it pretty much means "OK, don't be a fuckwit and ignore what I said purely because I said Alpen instead of whatever brand of Museli you do eat, imagine I picked the name of whatever brand of Museli you do eat and respond to my point like an adult."

Although the original author may not have implied as much bile as that in their original post.

HTH.

rae

« Reply #34 on: 08 July, 2008, 11:48:10 pm »
It's a command string used within an UNIX editor called vi, or a command line string processor called sed. 

It was also the first vi command I used.   We generated text data in the windows environment because we had access to the skills to create a very rich functional data set in VB of all things.  Text files were shipped to the E1000 and had to have the control characters stripped out.   We generated 20GB of data in about 6 weeks and loaded in another 6 weeks.   These days we generate and load that sort of thing in hours.

Although the original author may not have implied as much bile as that in their original post. 

Agreed, fuckwit was a step too far.   ;D

« Reply #35 on: 09 July, 2008, 10:06:43 am »
most museli is around 10% sugar

John, does the 10% refer to added (e.g. granulated) sugar, or does this percentage include the sugar to be found in the dried fruits it contains?

FWIW, I only as a last resort buy muesli that includes 'sugar' in its ingredients . And I get thru a lot of muesli when on tour  :) For me it's the all-round best cycling food and is quite palatable with water  :D

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #36 on: 10 July, 2008, 12:05:00 pm »

HTH.
One of the most H-ful replies on a non-cycling topic! At least in as far as something that I'll never use can be H-ful.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #37 on: 11 July, 2008, 03:51:13 pm »
most museli is around 10% sugar

John, does the 10% refer to added (e.g. granulated) sugar, or does this percentage include the sugar to be found in the dried fruits it contains?

FWIW, I only as a last resort buy muesli that includes 'sugar' in its ingredients . And I get thru a lot of muesli when on tour  :) For me it's the all-round best cycling food and is quite palatable with water  :D

10% would be very low for total sugars.  From the Weetabix website:

Alpen Ingredients: Wholegrain Wheat (37%), Wholegrain Rolled Oats (36%), Raisins (14%) (Flame Raisins, Raisins), Sugar, Dried Skimmed Milk, Roasted Sliced Nuts (2.5%) (Hazelnuts & Almonds), Milk Whey Powder, Malted Barley Extract, Salt.

Nutrition per 100g:
Energy (Calories)        359kcal
Protein                        10.8g
Carbohydrate              68.0g
 (of which sugars)        23.0g
Fat                                4.9g
 (of which saturates)    0.7g
Fibre                             6.6g
 (soluble)                      2.0g
 (insoluble)                   4.6g
Sodium                       0.14g
Salt Equivalent           0.35g

But this isn't simply because of the added sugar.  My own favourite, Dorset Cereals Super High Fibre, has no added sugar, but contains a whopping 27% sugar from the fruit!

« Reply #38 on: 11 July, 2008, 04:06:38 pm »
Compare that to Shredded Wheat (which has only one ingredient being whole grain wheat):

Per 100g.

Energy: 340kcal
Carbs: 67.8g
(of which sugars): 0.9g

But a 45g serving with 125ml of skimmed milk gives:-

Energy: 217kcal
Carbs: 37.5g
(of which sugars): 6.3g

Weetabix has a few more ingredients, including sugar. Carbs (of which sugars) are 4.4g per 100g.