Author Topic: New here and loving what I see :)  (Read 17552 times)

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
Re: New here and loving what I see :)
« Reply #25 on: 21 September, 2011, 09:59:17 pm »
I hope that .......... I haven't lost the ability to ride on three!

Welcome Annie

Three wheels - me too, apparently..

Actually I have two wheels on the bike and another on the trailer  ;)

Luckily a load of school kids over in Wales were helpfully yelling "threewheels, threewheels, threewheels" at me, presumably having realised that I can't count !!!  ;D ;D ;D
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

Annie

« Reply #26 on: 22 September, 2011, 01:14:16 pm »
I hope that .......... I haven't lost the ability to ride on three!

Welcome Annie

Three wheels - me too, apparently..

Actually I have two wheels on the bike and another on the trailer  ;)

Luckily a load of school kids over in Wales were helpfully yelling "threewheels, threewheels, threewheels" at me, presumably having realised that I can't count !!!  ;D ;D ;D
I am looking forward to my trike, but not to the comments from fools!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #27 on: 25 September, 2011, 12:59:05 am »
Learning to ride a bike at the age of 51 is quintessentially cool.  8)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #28 on: 25 September, 2011, 01:08:20 am »
I am looking forward to my trike, but not to the comments from fools!

You get used to them.  Then you start to collect the more exotic ones.

My current best is "sick as fuck!", which I'm lead to believe is one of the highest forms of approval amongst the yoof.  The worst, if only on the basis of unorignality, is "wanker-cycle".  'Witty' comments about doing wheelies, flat tyres or the stoker not pedalling are best ignored.

Actually, didn't we have a thread about this?  Ah yes, here.

At the end of the day, even if they think your bike's silly, you're almost certainly having more fun than they are, so it doesn't really matter what they call you or that you only manage to think of a hilarious retort 5 minutes later...

« Reply #29 on: 25 September, 2011, 10:50:17 am »
Out on the Maximus trikes, we often get "You want to get a motor on that!"

Just once, we got "You want to get a pony for that!"

With regard to re-learning to ride a tricyle, if you find it tricky (and many accustomed two wheelers do), find yourself a nice large flat space, like an empty car park, and practice riding really slowly. Straight lines at first, then corners. Get used to the idea that you don't need to put your feet down when you stop (something a lot of people have trouble shedding the instinct to do), or go very slowly. Cover the brakes. It'll soon come.

The cyclecouriers in York used to hire their Maximuses out in rickshaw configuration to school fetes. Apparently, two of them would set off, towards each other, from opposite ends of a playing field, with 2 or 3 kids each in the back. They'd each ride, looking over their shoulders, telling the kids how important it was to look where you were going, and how the kids should shout if they saw anything coming. The kids would be squealing and pointing at the oncoming rickshaw, while the rider continued not to look.

At the last minute, by prearrangement and periferal vision, both riders would execute 90 degree left turns to avoid the inevitable.  Since a Maximus can turn in it's own length, this was fairly effective.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #30 on: 25 September, 2011, 11:00:44 am »
The 'free cycling' exhibitionists at a bike rally borrowed Jim's Maximus for a bit. The expression on his face when he saw them experimenting . . .  A maximus is surprisingly stable on two wheels.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #31 on: 25 September, 2011, 11:28:09 am »
Hello Annie and welcome. 

Trikes are lovely, although I have to admit to still being in the midst of a love affair with a touring bike I bought last year, which has rather distracted me from riding the Windcheetah.  I'm late to the party to say hello simply because I started a new job on Monday, and my brain hasn't found the 'off' switch yet...
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #32 on: 25 September, 2011, 03:56:19 pm »
The 'free cycling' exhibitionists at a bike rally borrowed Jim's Maximus for a bit. The expression on his face when he saw them experimenting . . .  A maximus is surprisingly stable on two wheels.

I've done that with a Pashley, in my brave days, but not with a Maximus!  Perhaps I ought to try it again one day.

But not fully loaded with recycling!
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Annie

« Reply #33 on: 27 September, 2011, 01:26:38 pm »
Thank you for all of your supportive, friendly comments and for the lovely welcome  :)