Author Topic: BLT: How do you eat yours?  (Read 2871 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
BLT: How do you eat yours?
« on: 13 July, 2008, 11:38:54 am »
The BLT is like pizza or sex: even when it's not very good, it's still good.  I know of lots of variations of pizza and sex, but BLTs? 

Here's how I have mine:  Lightly toasted wholemeal bread with a smear of mayo.  Lettuce first, then smoked bacon (back ideally, but not essential - not crispy), then thinly-sliced tomato and a grind of black pepper.

How do you eat yours?
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Re: BLT: How do you eat yours?
« Reply #1 on: 13 July, 2008, 12:02:34 pm »
Ever so slightly toasted white farmhouse bread, a light smearing of butter, two rashers of thick cut back bacon cooked on a grilldle (sp?). A small amount of ketchup, then lettuce, thickish sliced grilled/fried tomato, another few pieces of lettuce, some pepper, and then another couple of rashers of thick bacon. And then push down so it's slightly compressed and the tomato runs a bit.

Yummy. Infact I might go have one now!
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Jezza

« Reply #2 on: 13 July, 2008, 12:10:48 pm »
Thick slices of wholemeal bread, 4 rashers of smoked bacon, little gem lettuce, sliced tomatoes, mayonnaise and a sprinkle of Cayenne pepper.

Shlobber  :P

« Reply #3 on: 13 July, 2008, 05:58:41 pm »
Remove the L and T first.

(Thinks of bacon in fridge).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #4 on: 13 July, 2008, 11:36:03 pm »
I'm not that religious about the ideal BLT, but a favourite ersatz version goes as follows:

Heat a mini ciabatta in the oven.

Meanwhile, grill good quality (cheap bacon has way too much brine injected into it) unsmoked back bacon until slightly crispy.

Split the ciabatta, lay on the bacon, a good dollop of decent ketchup, and loads of rocket leaves. Replace the top half of the bread, squash down and slice in two. Serve with a quality pilsner.

Nom nom nom...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #5 on: 14 July, 2008, 12:12:03 am »
Ciabatta and rocket?  Get her! ;)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #6 on: 14 July, 2008, 12:35:04 am »
Shurely that's a BR not a BLT :P
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #7 on: 14 July, 2008, 12:36:58 pm »
Mayonnaise is a very British obsession in sandwiches... I just can't stand it. Remove it and a BLT, for example, immediately becomes good.

My favourite French version equivalent is: Butter on a crispy baguette, thick carved ham, emmental and salad.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #8 on: 14 July, 2008, 02:30:39 pm »
I've been sat here thinking what the hell is BLT
google came to the rescue "sandwich containing bacon, lettuce, and tomato"
I didn't know that, well I led a shelted life, come to think of it I can't remember the last time I had a sandwich

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #9 on: 14 July, 2008, 02:34:12 pm »
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10 on: 14 July, 2008, 02:34:24 pm »
Remove the L and T first.

(Thinks of bacon in fridge).

Forget to put the B in.

And discard the L & T while we're on.  ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #11 on: 14 July, 2008, 02:34:59 pm »

Elleigh

« Reply #12 on: 14 July, 2008, 02:38:29 pm »
As a veggie I opt for the MLT (Mushroom, lettuce and tomato).  Mine is lightly toasted ciabatta (sp?), dressed with sliced cheery plum tomatoes, covered in lettuce and topped with mushrooms slow fried in butter and seasoned with lots of pepper and cinnamon.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #13 on: 14 July, 2008, 02:42:36 pm »
As a veggie I opt for the MLT (Mushroom, lettuce and tomato).  Mine is lightly toasted ciabatta (sp?), dressed with sliced cheery plum tomatoes, covered in lettuce and topped with mushrooms slow fried in butter and seasoned with lots of pepper and cinnamon.

as opposed to surly plum tomatoes maybe?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #14 on: 14 July, 2008, 02:44:16 pm »
as opposed to surly plum tomatoes maybe?

glum plum tomatoes.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #15 on: 14 July, 2008, 02:46:13 pm »
Surly Plum Tomatoes?  How does that compare to a CrossCheck or a Steamroller?
Getting there...

« Reply #16 on: 15 July, 2008, 01:58:45 pm »

My lapsed veggie wife has BMLT's (when I make then for here) with tomatoe ketchup, no mayo.  I have BM's with ketchup and mustard.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #17 on: 15 July, 2008, 02:00:56 pm »
Surly Plum Tomatoes?  How does that compare to a CrossCheck or a Steamroller?

They are a lot squishier, more, erm, RED, and tend to go a bit moldy after a while.

the Surly Sun Dried Tomato is a better bet though, as they tend to come with their own oil supply, don't go moldy and a nice chewy snack to help prevent that mid ride bonk....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State