General Category > Freewheeling

A random thread for cycling things that don't really warrant their own thread

<< < (98/142) > >>

Kim:
I've decided that the collective noun for scooterboys is a 'near miss'.

I was proceeding down[1] the A38 cycleway, and encountered a group of about 8 scooterboys heading towards me.  At the front was Kenny[2], who was having trouble seeing where he was going, and was weaving about while trying to adjust his hoodie one-handed.  The following three or four scooterboys, on the other hand, had used their unimpaired vision to detect the approaching Woman On An Unusual Bike, and were preparing to make testosterone noises[3] at the critical moment.  Naturally this left a deficit of attention for the trajectory of the rider in front...

You can imagine the rest, but suffice to say I didn't get to say "Oh my god, you killed Kenny!".

[1] In the railway sense.
[2] In the South Park sense.
[3] "Oy oy!" "Wahey!" and so on.

Cudzoziemiec:
Once upon a time, before South Park was a thing, I almost ended up living in Killed Kenny Lane. It would have been almost the last and one of the highest houses in Bath, requiring riding up the Wellsway on my over-geared 1985 Dawes and then climbing a step ladder to get into the attic, where I would have been living. That would've been easy, getting down might have killed me (and I'm not Kenny). The views would've been magnificent and it would have got me fit (or killed me) but I ended up living at the top of a different, shorter, steeper hill instead. Nowadays, of course, I could just get an e-bike.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.354119,-2.3850451,467m/data=!3m1!1e3

citoyen:
I’ve just seen Alan Yentob on an orange Brompton.

That’s almost a tongue twister.

Afasoas:
I've managed two consecutive Sunday rides.

Last sunday: 10.6 miles, 12.7 mph moving average
This sunday: 15.0 miles, 13.1 mph moving average

Here is to hoping I can keep this up. (Being on-call for half my free time doesn't help).
Hard to believe 8 years ago I was doing nearly 40 miles each day with an average speed in the high teens.

The main thing is, I'm back on a bike and saddle-soreness aside, really enjoying it.

T42:
:thumbsup:  Suggestion: find a nice place to stop for half an hour 10 - 15 miles away. Ride there, have a coffee & some cake then ride home again.  Don't worry too much about speed, just enjoy it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version